Washington Fishing

The Online Source for Washington Fishing Information

Ok, I know most of you fell asleep right after the word "study" but for those that are as deeply addicted to as I...

Can you get your "fix" (pardon the pun) from your chart plotter or do you use another platform to study charts?
Personally, if i'm hitting a piece of water for the first time, I'm looking at charts on my phone and/or iPad well in advance. That effort is partially driven out of curiosity but I'm also looking for features & structure that I recognize from other productive areas that I've had success.
I run a Navionics Platinumchip in my Simrad and the Ap on my phone and iPad so I'm looking at the same cartography across all my devices.
It's a nice feeling when you get to the grounds and while looking at your plotter you recognize what you've studied. That's where confidence comes from and confidence produces fish.
So, do you study? The fish are writing the test even as we speak....

Views: 1846

Replies to This Discussion

Tom,

The answer is yes, I study charts all the time for freshwater lakes and rivers. I too utilize a Navionics Platinum+ chip in my Lowrance HDS 12. I also utilize Google Earth and a mapping software for my PC called Expert GPS.

I can find areas and load waypoints without ever physically being on that body of water before. The nice thing about Google Earth, you can scroll back on the historical imagery and look at the body of water during different times of the year and water levels. You can then pin a waypoint and load those waypoints into your unit. Now you can navigate directly to that spot. I can contribute this technology to a couple tournament wins, talk about a confidence boost.

The nice thing about the Expert GPS software is that you can view all of your waypoints in Google Earth, If they only would of had this technology for public use thirty years ago.

Google Earth like Dana said is invaluable.  I have found some great spots and figured out why I catch them in some spots and not others using satellite imagery.  Especially since I only run a basic 2d lowrance sonar on the boat.

I sure hope that some of you caught this hint. The secure will share, the insecure become silent.

Dana Steiner said:

Tom,

The answer is yes, I study charts all the time for freshwater lakes and rivers. I too utilize a Navionics Platinum+ chip in my Lowrance HDS 12. I also utilize Google Earth and a mapping software for my PC called Expert GPS.

I can find areas and load waypoints without ever physically being on that body of water before. The nice thing about Google Earth, you can scroll back on the historical imagery and look at the body of water during different times of the year and water levels. You can then pin a waypoint and load those waypoints into your unit. Now you can navigate directly to that spot. I can contribute this technology to a couple tournament wins, talk about a confidence boost.

The nice thing about the Expert GPS software is that you can view all of your waypoints in Google Earth, If they only would of had this technology for public use thirty years ago.

How is this for a start?

http://gameoverangling.com/

Good stuff Don, will be cool to watch it grow.

Thx for posting the p holes vid, good times

Don Hogue said:

How is this for a start?

Good start, nicely done Don.

Don Hogue said:

How is this for a start?

Dana: ...or, I just don't know a damn thing about the subject to share :-/

Dana Steiner said:

I sure hope that some of you caught this hint. The secure will share, the insecure become silent.

Dana Steiner said:

Tom,

Roger,

Take what Don Hogue shared and run with it, it's great information. I'm far from what would be considered a computer genius (trust me), if I can utilize this technology to improve my fishing anyone can. Don shared some pretty important information in his post and video. Look for the subtle hints, not the smoking gun. The smoking gun is where most of the other boats will be camped out.

Roger Aulabaugh said:

Dana: ...or, I just don't know a damn thing about the subject to share :-/

Dana Steiner said:

Dana Steiner said:

Tom,

What's up with the self proclaimed potholes master video? Looks like the only thing mastered was the stroking of snakes ego! (Nice bag BTW Jake) http://gameoverangling.com/

great topic, finding the not so obvious spots away from the bank has been the most difficult part of the transition in my first year of fishing from a boat versus bank. Thanks for the link, going to re-watch later.

This site has some of the best fishermen in the country. They will share subtle hints, they are not going to take you to years of hard work. If you pay close attention, they are sharing information that would have taken a lifetime to achieve in the "old days"

Don,

Remember when we used to find a great hut on Potholes? Draw a sketch, tie a couple willow branches in a knot and hope that nobody else would find our "pot of gold". In the day it took thousands of hours and dollars, now it's a mouse click away.

R Meyer said:

great topic, finding the not so obvious spots away from the bank has been the most difficult part of the transition in my first year of fishing from a boat versus bank. Thanks for the link, going to re-watch later.

He was the "master" that day.  One day, it will be a full-fledged "series" and Dana won't be so kind towards me anymore.  

stevens said:

What's up with the self proclaimed potholes master video? Looks like the only thing mastered was the stroking of snakes ego! (Nice bag BTW Jake) http://gameoverangling.com/

RSS

Blog Posts

Old Farts Tournament on Potholes

Posted by Tom Melowitz on September 7, 2019 at 2:45pm

New Group Added!

Posted by Eric Urstad on April 3, 2019 at 7:38pm

© 2024   Created by Jordan Doucet.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service