Washington Fishing

The Online Source for Washington Fishing Information

Ok, I know most of you fell asleep right after the word "study" but for those that are as deeply addicted to as I...

Can you get your "fix" (pardon the pun) from your chart plotter or do you use another platform to study charts?
Personally, if i'm hitting a piece of water for the first time, I'm looking at charts on my phone and/or iPad well in advance. That effort is partially driven out of curiosity but I'm also looking for features & structure that I recognize from other productive areas that I've had success.
I run a Navionics Platinumchip in my Simrad and the Ap on my phone and iPad so I'm looking at the same cartography across all my devices.
It's a nice feeling when you get to the grounds and while looking at your plotter you recognize what you've studied. That's where confidence comes from and confidence produces fish.
So, do you study? The fish are writing the test even as we speak....

Views: 1846

Replies to This Discussion

What happened to the Google Earth vids?

Don Hogue said:

How is this for a start?

http://gameoverangling.com/

Joel,

Check out the site, there is another video (gameoverangling). Don has done a pretty good job explaining the basics and even shared a few things that you would not expect from most competitive anglers.

Joel Alinen said:

Don Hogue said:

How is this for a start?

Bummer...I dont see it anymore...I was going to sit down and do some learning. Dana you are so right...since Wafish started both Don and Ron have helped me a ton! I miss those old days of wafish!

Dana Steiner said:

Joel,

Check out the site, there is another video (gameoverangling). Don has done a pretty good job explaining the basics and even shared a few things that you would not expect from most competitive anglers.

Joel Alinen said:

Don Hogue said:

How is this for a start?

I never got a chance to watch it all either.  I noticed it at work but didn't have the time to watch all of it on my lunch break.

Not sure why it has disappeared from the site?

Joel Alinen said:

Bummer...I dont see it anymore...I was going to sit down and do some learning. Dana you are so right...since Wafish started both Don and Ron have helped me a ton! I miss those old days of wafish!

Dana Steiner said:

Joel,

Joel Alinen said:

Don Hogue said:

How is this for a start?

Joel,

Go to YouTube, search gameoverangling. The videos are on there.

Joel Alinen said:

Dana Steiner said:

Joel,

Joel Alinen said:

Don Hogue said:

How is this for a start?

I'll look at Google Earth and consult online and paper lake maps. My electronics are about 15 years old, but good enough to suit me, plus they're paid for. I generally prefer to have them off when actually fishing. My OFB has pretty good electronics on his boat (2012 Lowrance stuff), and it's interesting enough, and the route tracking is a great safety feature. Hey, Dana, you want your boat back? The '88...it's a '96 now...

My Nitro days are behind me. I've owned a handful since '88, which one was it?

Steve Helmick said:

I'll look at Google Earth and consult online and paper lake maps. My electronics are about 15 years old, but good enough to suit me, plus they're paid for. I generally prefer to have them off when actually fishing. My OFB has pretty good electronics on his boat (2012 Lowrance stuff), and it's interesting enough, and the route tracking is a great safety feature. Hey, Dana, you want your boat back? The '88...it's a '96 now...

I guess it must have been an '89 175TF, because they replaced it with a '95 in Spring of '95 after I discovered a split seam between floor and hull under the driver's seat. The '95 only was on the water a 3-4 times when I noticed the bilge was always needing to be pumped. Hmmm. Crack in the transom  below the motor bracket. They replaced that with an '96, which I had to pay to have the transom rebuilt. I should have rented a dumpster and fired up the chainsaw. Obviously wasn't thinking clearly! :)

That was the first fiberglass bass boat that I purchased. And your experience is all the more reason I quit running Nitro's years ago.

Steve Helmick said:

I guess it must have been an '89 175TF, because they replaced it with a '95 in Spring of '95 after I discovered a split seam between floor and hull under the driver's seat. The '95 only was on the water a 3-4 times when I noticed the bilge was always needing to be pumped. Hmmm. Crack in the transom  below the motor bracket. They replaced that with an '96, which I had to pay to have the transom rebuilt. I should have rented a dumpster and fired up the chainsaw. Obviously wasn't thinking clearly! :)

Sorry for the topic "drift". There's a lot of useful sources for info, and a little study at home will save you a lot of time on the water. My fishing buddy uses some sort of app on his ifone that shows lake maps with contour lines. We used it last trip on Lk. WA and found a hump that we've never seen a boat on. No, there weren't any fish on it, either! :(

RSS

Blog Posts

Old Farts Tournament on Potholes

Posted by Tom Melowitz on September 7, 2019 at 2:45pm

New Group Added!

Posted by Eric Urstad on April 3, 2019 at 7:38pm

© 2024   Created by Jordan Doucet.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service