Washington Fishing

The Online Source for Washington Fishing Information

i know jigs work this time of year just dont know where what color and size and how to work em

Views: 163

Replies to This Discussion

I would specify what exactly you are talking about pitching, football head, skirted, flipping, largemouth, smallmouth... and I would utilize the search tool in the upper right hand side.  There have been SEVERAL very good discussions about all the types of jigs I mentioned in the past!  I will tell you jigs work I caught a fish on one yesterday.

what ever works and probably smallies

P.J. Koshi said:

I would specify what exactly you are talking about pitching, football head, skirted, flipping, largemouth, smallmouth... and I would utilize the search tool in the upper right hand side.  There have been SEVERAL very good discussions about all the types of jigs I mentioned in the past!  I will tell you jigs work I caught a fish on one yesterday.
The trick to using anything is to fish where the fish are
True that!

anthony white said:
The trick to using anything is to fish where the fish are
If you're fishing for winter smallie then use football heads. If it's anyother time goto a dropshot.

PJ is spot on with what he said

For smallies go with a football head 1oz skirted or unskirted with some sort of trailer.

In 35-50ft if you want to move the jig a little faster it's quite effective to use a 3/4 or 1oz on a GLX or DX casting rod.  I find myself using mostly 3/4 and 1/2 in the winter, but will on occasion use 1oz.  If you have the patience to fish 1/4 or even 3/8 in the winter time I tip my hat to you.  I can see lighter weights being fished vertically, but on a cast and retrieve I think you would have bottom contact for maybe a couple cranks on the reel at best.  I agree football head jigs are reliable all year round! 

Craig Taylor said:
Just winter time for football heads? No way. Football heads are all year stuff just as much as Drop shots. 1 full oz is only needed in the wind for the most part (curent you'll need em' too) You need to get yourlelf a more sensitive rod and lighter line if thats the only size your using for football heads for smallmouth. Go as light as you can with still being able to feel bottum. 1/4oz-1/2oz gets the job done well 99.9% of the time with a GLX jig&worm spinning rod. 
thanks for all the help but do you guys have a favorite brand or type of jig
I think some of the popular and quality ones are Omega, Jewel, and Bass Patrol.  Craig I just cannot agree that it's always most appropriate to go with the lightest weight possible that still gets good bottom contact.  I fished in a club tournament last year for Smallmouth where the ticket was to throw a big 1/2-1oz FB head up into 3ft of water and just bang it like a crankbait against the rocks.  And NO they were not biting the crank but they were crushing the jig.  I slow down a lot in the winter with my 1/2oz jigs same way you do and fish semi vertically, but on days where they are biting good I have caught them on the 3/4 and 1oz bumping along the bottom at a pretty good clip.

Hahaha

Everyone has such different opinions...

I love using jigs alot, the biggest jig I own is 1oz and thats only for punching at Silver ( Cowlitz Co.)

but after that, my next heaviest jig is a 3/8

I love smaller and smaller weighted jigs, My last jig fish came out of 25-30ish feet w/ a 1/8oz jig

I love throwing those light jigs in deeper water, just sucks waiting that 1-2 mins to get near the bottom.

But I always get alot of crap from Austin about how I fish!

I do agree w/ PJ though, dragging the heavier jigs and plowing rocks and wood has always been effective anytime of year depending on the lake for me

I use 3/4 and 1 oz heads probably almost 3/4 of the time and I will only really go down to a 1/2 oz for shallow fish.  I like to work the jig fairly quickly unless the fish want it slow.  I feel you can cover more water and go after the aggresive fish. I feel it is more productive to get that jig down quickly and have it stay on the bottom when fishing really deep.  I also always throw these on at least a M/H baitcasting rod so I can get those fish in the boat quick and get a really good hook set on them.  This is what I find great about bass fishing though, anglers will have several different preferences in gear and methods for the same bait and they all seem to work. 

RSS

Blog Posts

Old Farts Tournament on Potholes

Posted by Tom Melowitz on September 7, 2019 at 2:45pm

New Group Added!

Posted by Eric Urstad on April 3, 2019 at 7:38pm

© 2024   Created by Jordan Doucet.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service