Washington Fishing

The Online Source for Washington Fishing Information

I've been working with Pure Fishing/Berkley to put on another Berkley/WAFISH tournament in 2015 and pick that back up. Scheduling is always a difficult task so I do not have any details on that yet, however I did have a couple ideas for tournaments that I wanted to get some feedback on. Here goes:

Idea 1:

A team tournament, but not just any team tournament, one where you have a team of up to 3 boats with up to 2 anglers per boat. Entrants would select their own teams and the combined weight of each boats limit would be the winner. Boats within a team could not share/cull each others fish, however each boat could weigh up to 5 bass for a total of 15 bass if each boat caught a limit. The winnings would be presented to the team, and individual options may also be available for each boat. 

Idea 2: 

This one is more difficult to pull off with permits and scheduling, but what do you think about a two day event where you fish different lakes each day that are within a few miles of each other - for example Washington/Sammamish, Potholes/Moses, or Banks/Roosevelt. The format would be a standard team tournament with the combined weight for both days determining the winner.

Idea 3:

A pro-am tournament where pro's and amateur's are randomly paired for teams. 5 fish limit per boat and at least one of the 5 has to be hooked and caught by the amateur. 

Each idea would include reasonable entry fees along with giveaways and possibly some guaranteed money (no minimum boat # for guaranteed money) as has been the case with other Berkley tournaments in the past.  

Ideally, I would like some response on Idea 1 at least as it seems more plausible at this point, however, I am open to suggestions, questions, comments, concerns on each.

My goal is to think of something unique that would encourage more participation so we can have something to show Pure Fishing/Berkley corporate and encourage more sponsorship dollars in the Northwest. 

Let's hear it!

Views: 882

Replies to This Discussion

Let me see....  Which team won the last Berkley/WAFISH Pro Division event on LK WA?

Ronald Hobbs, Jr. said:

Tony, any day!

My post wasn't meant to leave people out but just point out a blatant fact of what could happen, and the turn off it would be to some guys that aren't super competitors or don't fish money tournaments (these are the guys it needs to be tailored to)

Back to my point though, how many of the fringe guys would it attract to get their teeth kicked in, yes the other guys you mention are also great sticks including yourself but list 18 guys that equals to 3 teams ( dream teams ) This kind of competition isn't what people are looking to put their money down and come off their local lakes for the day.

If this was to work it would have to be a draw format, bring out the extra guys to be hopefully paired with all the guys we have mentioned...... There has to be a way to not let a dream team happen in order to get the draw you are looking for.

BTW I like my team better and I looked at my teams odds in Vegas against the field (all other 3 boat teams) and we are favored by 10 pounds!

How about a true pro am? Low entry fees $75 pro $25 am pay accordingly! With this I think the am has to contribute aa least 1 fish to the 5 fish limit so the guy in the front can't just ignore the am, but help to teach. Just an idea!
Even a blind squirrel finds a nut every once in a while!

Mike Bess said:

Let me see....  Which team won the last Berkley/WAFISH Pro Division event on LK WA?

Ronald Hobbs, Jr. said:

Tony, any day!

My post wasn't meant to leave people out but just point out a blatant fact of what could happen, and the turn off it would be to some guys that aren't super competitors or don't fish money tournaments (these are the guys it needs to be tailored to)

Back to my point though, how many of the fringe guys would it attract to get their teeth kicked in, yes the other guys you mention are also great sticks including yourself but list 18 guys that equals to 3 teams ( dream teams ) This kind of competition isn't what people are looking to put their money down and come off their local lakes for the day.

If this was to work it would have to be a draw format, bring out the extra guys to be hopefully paired with all the guys we have mentioned...... There has to be a way to not let a dream team happen in order to get the draw you are looking for.

BTW I like my team better and I looked at my teams odds in Vegas against the field (all other 3 boat teams) and we are favored by 10 pounds!

How about a true pro am? Low entry fees $75 pro $25 am pay accordingly! With this I think the am has to contribute aa least 1 fish to the 5 fish limit so the guy in the front can't just ignore the am, but help to teach. Just an idea!

We beat your asses handily!

Ronald Hobbs, Jr. said:

Mike Bess said:

Ronald Hobbs, Jr. said:

Tony, any day!

To be honest, I'm not a fan of any of the options. How about a team tournament where one of the anglers has to be less than 13 years old "or 16, 17, 18 exc...." Get the sons, daughters, nieces, nephews, and grandchildren off the couch. There is a generational gap that is detrimental to the future of competitive bass fishing. Kids these days would rather play bass fishing on their Nintendo. I'm hesitant to fish competitively in money tournaments with one of my daughters for the fear of losing an edge. I would love an excuse to get one of them out there on a bigger platform than the club level. Berkley has the leverage to give these kids a special thrill that will get them thinking. I'm thinking a mid May tournament on a body of water with lots of fish like Tapps! This was my ace in the hole for a future Evergreen fundraiser tournament, but I would be happy to see someone else run with it.

I'm the blind squirrel and you know who the nut is.

Ronald Hobbs, Jr. said:

Mike Bess said:

Ronald Hobbs, Jr. said:

Tony, any day!

I'm with Steve Norris on this one if you want new blood get rid of the teams, boaters only if it's done for something like breast cancer, have a women rider or supporter to keep things fair like a marshal. Also I did take a warrior fishing on September 20th and that was fun. But far to quick with only three hours to fish on lake Washington still put three in the boat biggest 4lb 10 oz. caught by the warrior. (His P.B) would like to do that again in a tournament with more time.

Liking the idea of the Pro/Am. We have some pretty good sticks within our club, but having a chance to fish with some of the other better sticks outside of my club is something I would be all over.

How about combing the Pro/Am idea along with the with the multiple lakes idea for a weekend event. Having an opportunity to fish 2 days would be even better in my opinion. Especially if it was held on the East side, Potholes/Moses, Banks/Roosevelt.

This is a great idea

Steve Norris said:

How about a boaters only tournament? (Like the Elite Series)

And to throw a curve on this you could also make this a benefit for Breast Cancer (American Cancer Society)

Where each angler must have 100.00 worth of donations to fish as well as their Entry fee.

Everybody Wins! 

I will pay for the permit.

Having only fished one tourney, which was a blast to do, this type of deal would be hard to pass up. Especially if it were a single day tourney. Not a huge monetary/time commitment, and a great chance to learn. Obviously this is very similar to the qualifiers but puts you on a team tourney without the multiple day commitment.

Ronald Hobbs, Jr. said:
Tony, any day!

Not really like a draw tournament ( qualifiers are one example FLW another), what I proposed is actually better, the other guy (not you) can hurt your tournament results in draw tournament, trust me been there.

In what I proposed is pro am or another way you can call it is a draw team event. I would just make stipulation where atleast each partner has to contribute atleast 1 fish to the weigh in creel. So in this event your partner, boater or non, can only help and actually has to help!

Keeping the entry fees low should help get more participation, and also the whole object is to have fun, without big pay outs and big expenditures I think it brings the fun to the fore front and leaves the stress of big loss or big gain out of people's minds. If Pure Fishing gets involved I know they will bring in product for prizes as well which without big payouts should center stage the product being given away.

All types of opens have been tried, think it's time for a shake up. I would like to see how this format works!

Hopefully the non boaters do realize it costs to launch and run a boat, especially from Coulon, but this can be addressed later about boater and non etiquette!

Zach Chandler said:
Having only fished one tourney, which was a blast to do, this type of deal would be hard to pass up. Especially if it were a single day tourney. Not a huge monetary/time commitment, and a great chance to learn. Obviously this is very similar to the qualifiers but puts you on a team tourney without the multiple day commitment.

Ronald Hobbs, Jr. said:
Tony, any day!

I was saying they were similar from a learning perspective for a non boater. How the boater and non function is obviously pretty different. Bringing up the etiquette for a non boater is a good point and would be wise to have a thread discussing how other fees are broken up. Just so no one is blind sided with other fees. Either way it seems like a cool idea that would get us non tourney guys to test the waters

I like the pro am approach.  it is tried and true and very simple.  The other options put too many decisions on the table and complicate the tournament structure.

I would even omit the mandatory AAA catch to streamline the rule.

Great dialogue and its nice to see some interesting ideas for new tournaments!  I am looking forward to the 2015 season.

Ben

RSS

Blog Posts

Old Farts Tournament on Potholes

Posted by Tom Melowitz on September 7, 2019 at 2:45pm

New Group Added!

Posted by Eric Urstad on April 3, 2019 at 7:38pm

© 2024   Created by Jordan Doucet.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service