Washington Fishing

The Online Source for Washington Fishing Information

Does anyone know how much fuel it takes to get from Columbia Point Marina on the River......to White Bluffs and back with a Yamaha 225 hpdi?.......funny story....coming soon

Views: 84

Replies to This Discussion

Sounds like a Josh Potter story is going to follow based on what I heard...
I was waiting to see if he was gonna fess up before I said anything. I am sure that misanthrope, delay, bess and. A few others might be very interested in the story.

Scott Sevigny said:
Sounds like a Josh Potter story is going to follow based on what I heard...
Misanthrope got kicked off of the site but I am interested.
I was aked to show a fellow fisherman how to navigate the River from Richland up to the Reach area. After getting off of work at 2:00 am. I met him at the Columbia Point boat marina at 6 ish. As we were idling out of the Marina, He said " I forgot to get gas in the boat"......so I asked how much he had. He replied " a little over 1/2 a tank ( 50 gallon tank)......so I said "well, I only used 20 gallons or so in mine ( 150 mercury on my boat) ( I assumed that the HPDI YAMAHA has better gas mileage) so he said......OK I should have enough. SO....we went and after fishing for a few hours, I got a call from him saying that he doesn't think he has enough fuel. In the mean time.....I had to work again at 3:00 pm so my ability to help at this point was limited. He proceeded to call a mutual friend ( who was at work) and he said he could bring gas after he got off work.

What ended up happening, was the mutual friend.....went to Columbia Point, took the trailer off of the truck, then drove all the way to Ringold to pick them up......and they drove back with no straps, or transom saver on the boat.

There are a few lessons in there somewhere.......

Jeff

P.S. A bunch of fish were caught....which was a plus though.
)
From what I can tell there is no accurate way to tell how much fuel you have in a bass boat unless you are standing at the gas pump watching. The gauges rarely work properly. I find this a little troubling considering the amount of money that is spent on a good boat.
Taht guy is darn lucky he didn't loose his boat. That Ringold road is ruff a real kidney shaker. I'll bet the next time he fill up before going up there again. Guess that's the lesson.
That sucks, at least fish were caught!

I remember last year reading that Hobb's ran way the heck and gone up the river in a tourney, I bet a long run like that can eat up a full tank depending on how fast you are going.

I had a similar thing happen last year, ran out of ETEC oil out on Lake Roosevelt, the low oil alarm went off and it looked like less than an inch in the oil tank.

I never go out now without a full oil tank and a gallon spare in the boat.

Fuel is not that big of an issue on Roosevelt since there are three places to buy it on the lake, oil on the other hand... The closest XD-100 is Coulee Playland.
Well we ran out of gas 4 minutes from the ramp. We started with a full tank, ran way down river past boise cascades then ran all the way up to the dam, It is suprising how far you can drive on Empty! We made it probably 20 miles when it said empty.
That is why I have 4 I-Command gauges on my Ranger, and the Etec Engine Interface cable. My fuel monitor tells me more info about my fuel than even I need. It is amazing how accurate it is. BTW, I also added the oil level sensor so I always know exactly how much oil I have, without ever having to look at the reservoir. These NMEA 2000 sensors and gauges are impressive.

ciao,
Marc

P.J. Koshi said:
From what I can tell there is no accurate way to tell how much fuel you have in a bass boat unless you are standing at the gas pump watching. The gauges rarely work properly. I find this a little troubling considering the amount of money that is spent on a good boat.
I am the angler in question who ran low on fuel.

I was so geeked up to get up there I forgot to get fuel and I should have put the boat back on the trailer and fueled up. Jeff pretty much has the story right with the only exception being he told me he only burned a 1/4 tank the day before running up and back. Now he claims it was 20 gallons. No wonder those Nitros are hard to get on plane...they have 80 gallon gas tanks:) No excuses here this was definitely my fault as I knew better and I know how much fuel my boat burns. The scariest part was putting the boat back on the trailer at Ringold. Wow! I may have been able to make it back on the fuel I had but after a near drowning on Wednesday on a different river I felt like I may have been pressing my luck.

A huge thanks to the mutual friend as well as Ben Hanes who offered to help.
So how difficult is the run up to Hanford this time of year/water level? I have never run up there myself but would really like to go check it out.
It is more of a question of the water level this afternoon than this time of year. We watched the water level drop 4-5 feet in a matter of hours on Friday. I am no expert on the reach but from the 2 trips I have been up there I would suggest either going with somone that has run it or go with 2 boats just in case.

I now have a low water gps track to follow (thanks to the guy with the 80 gallon gas tank). I don't want to make it sound like it is some sort of demon but it is a little scary in a few stretches. There were some places you would have been fine on the trip up and screwed if you took the same track down. The current is unbelievably strong when they are dumping it and that makes things a little weird sometimes. You really have to pay attention to how you enter places because of the current. I got a little lazy Friday and didn't get right on the trolling motor after coming off of power and drifted over a rock bar that was less than 2 feet deep and it all happened in a matter of seconds. I remember guys telling me how dangerous the South end of Banks could be....that is a cream puff IMHO comapred to the Reach.

bogey4444 said:
So how difficult is the run up to Hanford this time of year/water level? I have never run up there myself but would really like to go check it out.

RSS

Blog Posts

Old Farts Tournament on Potholes

Posted by Tom Melowitz on September 7, 2019 at 2:45pm

New Group Added!

Posted by Eric Urstad on April 3, 2019 at 7:38pm

© 2024   Created by Jordan Doucet.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service