Washington Fishing

The Online Source for Washington Fishing Information

A buddy of mine wants to hit up Bay lake near Gig Harbor. From what I hear, it is a pretty good Largy lake. My only concern is, I have heard it gets pretty jammed up with weeds in the summer. Anyone been there lately?

Second question: What tactics does everyone use for fishing heavy weeds? Not just pads, but thick, matted milfoil?

Views: 125

Replies to This Discussion

but they are easy to lose on the boat and with the cost associated, take care of where you place them... 20 bucks Chris? you get 3 weights? haha
Do you guys have a good way to break off heavy rigs like that when you get caught deep and you know there is no way to knock it out? With heavy braid a lot of the time I know I'll break the rod before the line like you said, so I end up cutting it after "stretching" it as far as I can but that still leaves a good bit of line in the water which I would like to avoid if possible.

Tag Watson said:
Wood cover is a different story as you can hang up deep in a brush pile, at which point you are more than likely out a $10.00 weight.
I'm not sure how you would break your rod. Point it staight at the bait in the water so there is no tension on the rod, jam ur thumb in the reel and back up with the trollin motor. U'll straighten out hooks more likely than breaking 65lb braid anyways.

Seung Hwang said:
Do you guys have a good way to break off heavy rigs like that when you get caught deep and you know there is no way to knock it out? With heavy braid a lot of the time I know I'll break the rod before the line like you said, so I end up cutting it after "stretching" it as far as I can but that still leaves a good bit of line in the water which I would like to avoid if possible.

Tag Watson said:
Wood cover is a different story as you can hang up deep in a brush pile, at which point you are more than likely out a $10.00 weight.
Ya exactly Zackery. Thats a pretty basic technique, hopefully Seung is using that method.
3 weights for $20 pretty much summed it up, agghhh.

Zackery Shaff said:
I'm not sure how you would break your rod. Point it staight at the bait in the water so there is no tension on the rod, jam ur thumb in the reel and back up with the trollin motor. U'll straighten out hooks more likely than breaking 65lb braid anyways.

ya im not pulling straight up sorry if i gave that impression. but with 50/65 braid, the reel, and a bmf hook snelled im not sure whats gonna give first. I was worried about the reel too and looks like panic minnow confirmed that. how much strain will that hook take before straightening out hehe?
I just shove my thumb inbetween the spool and the top of the reel, but that seems like a better/less painful way.

Panic Minnow said:
Be sure that you wrap your line around the reel seat before doing this, because you can out a lot of strain on the spool pins that is not needed when pulling right off the reel. Especially with 65# braid.....

Zackery Shaff said:

Seung Hwang said:

Tag Watson said:
It's pretty easy to straighten a BMF hook. All you need is a one ton pickup and 1/4" galvanized wire rope.

Seung Hwang said:
ya im not pulling straight up sorry if i gave that impression. but with 50/65 braid, the reel, and a bmf hook snelled im not sure whats gonna give first. I was worried about the reel too and looks like panic minnow confirmed that. how much strain will that hook take before straightening out hehe?
Or an Etec!

ciao,
Marc

Tag Watson said:
It's pretty easy to straighten a BMF hook. All you need is a one ton pickup and 1/4" galvanized wire rope.

Seung Hwang said:
etec would probably overheat or blow up under that much pressure.

Marc Marcantonio said:
Or an Etec!

ciao,
Marc

Tag Watson said:

Seung Hwang said:
Don't do that you will bend the reel spindle, and then you'll have to buy a new reel, I have one now that I only used with heavy braid and now it is junk.

Zackery Shaff said:

Seung Hwang said:

Tag Watson said:
I agree with Dr. Hobbs. Wrap your braid around a pair of pliers (assuming your line is not coming in contact with any sharp edges) and pull. This has worked for me although I am sure that there are more effective methods.

Ronald Hobbs, Jr. said:
Don't do that you will bend the reel spindle, and then you'll have to buy a new reel, I have one now that I only used with heavy braid and now it is junk.

Zackery Shaff said:

Seung Hwang said:

Tag Watson said:
I had a question regarding punching through the middle of heavy weed mats. The fish you are targeting in doing so are in a negative, resting, or non-feeding mood, correct? If they were feeding, you would find them near the weed edge or edges of pockets in the mats where they can ambush prey, right? I was wondering if this was what was really going on or if in fact there are little weed edges under the mats that the fish use to actively feed on that we can't see from above the water?

RSS

Blog Posts

Old Farts Tournament on Potholes

Posted by Tom Melowitz on September 7, 2019 at 2:45pm

New Group Added!

Posted by Eric Urstad on April 3, 2019 at 7:38pm

© 2024   Created by Jordan Doucet.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service