Washington Fishing

The Online Source for Washington Fishing Information

I don't know how many people are aware of the proposed bill named HB 1579.   Basically it will allow for deregulation of bass, walleye and catfish in the waters of Washington state.  Unless you really enjoy catching dink sized bass, I think there needs to be a large amount of people voicing there concern over this to the state legislature.   Today at 3:30 pm the house appropriations committee will have a public hearing.  But I doubt there will be a single person show up.  It hasn't been widely shown to the public.  However there is time before it goes to vote and if we don't say anything the we're just complaining without effect.  

Although it may seem intuitive to increase the salmon population by reducing the numbers of bass and walleye, it's been tried before and it doesn't work.  In fact, it actually increased the numbers of smaller fish and those are the ones that eat the smolt. So keeping the larger fish around puts a check on the smaller ones and will help reduce the amount of smolt consumed. 

Here's the link to the site and you can click on the email notifications if you wish to keep in touch with the process and want to read the proposed bill.

https://app.leg.wa.gov/billsummary?BillNumber=1579&Initiative=f...

The bill is under the documents as substitute bill.

This is the statement regarding to reducing the game fish:

NEW SECTION. Sec. 2. A new section is added to chapter 77.08
RCW to read as follows:12
13 The commission shall adopt rules to liberalize bag limits for
14 bass, walleye, and channel catfish in all anadromous waters of the
15 state in order to reduce the predation risk to salmon smolts.

Views: 99

Blog Posts

Old Farts Tournament on Potholes

Posted by Tom Melowitz on September 7, 2019 at 2:45pm

New Group Added!

Posted by Eric Urstad on April 3, 2019 at 7:38pm

© 2024   Created by Jordan Doucet.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service