Washington Fishing

The Online Source for Washington Fishing Information

The Evergreen Bass Club is seeking your input for next years tournament. Even if your not a tournament angler, we want to hear from you! It will most likely be held on Lake Sammamish in February. The guaranteed big fish pot will be back! We've thrown around the idea of making the big fish option, an individual option. Our numbers, were down a little last year, and we want this thing to grow! All the proceeds from this tournament go directly to our Soldier Fishing Event. That's correct, the proceeds benefit the men and women who serve your country, not our club! What will it take to get you to come out for this thing? What has drawn you to this event before? What don't you like about this event? Is there a way we can run things smoother? Was the free food, and drinks to your standards? Raffle thoughts? Better ways we can recognize our sponsors? How many of you would purchase a gourmet coffee that would support our cause if we had a coffee truck there selling lattes, mochas, and other specialty items? How many of you who don't have a boat/partner would be inclined to fish if we could set you up with someone?

How many of you remember the Big Bass Blast Event's that used to be held on Lake Washington? What were your thoughts on that?

There are many open tournaments out there to chose from, but rarely do they directly benefit outstanding causes like this! Please consider fishing this event next year. We promise to do our best in meeting your standards!

Chad Simon

Vice President

Evergreen Bass Club

Views: 2469

Replies to This Discussion

I agree with Maderos ,Washington sounds great to me! I have fished the Freeze for the last 5 yrs and really enjoy the event but i believe change is good every once in awhile. Maybe switch it back and forth every year between Sammy and Washington?

I remember the club meetings when trying to put on a Evergreen sponsored event.  Between the beer, laughs, and fish reports in the middle of many winters we always talked about Lake Sammamish in January, February, and March being decent when everything else seemed miserable.  No most days wouldn't be lights out, but it was a big fish chance.  The opportunity to catch a 4-5lb. bass on almost every trip in the middle of winter was a great way to shake the rust off. With the thought of creating a format so people could fish in February to alleviate the "cabin fever," Freeze Your bASS blast was born.  We wanted every tournament fisherman to have a low stress option to fish in the winter and have some FUN. The first year of the tournament just happened to coincide with our 1st. Wounded Warriors event, which we funded from great sponsors and tournament proceeds. Tournament for fisherman = fishing experience for wounded vets and families.  I know Aaron doesn't speak for Hawg Hunters, but whatever percentage he makes up for the club.  Aaron when you see a hole in the ground, remember to ask yourself if its your ass...

As far as ideas to help the event grow:

1. Increase marketing, with the influx of local outdoor programming radio/tv/magazine some people on this site are sure to have ties to someone to reach out too.  Once they hear of the cause this could sway some ears.

2. Split the boat, individual entries with a lower entry fee.  30 boats could then be 60 participants, increase the profit margin from each angler.

Ok no more whiskey for me

The guy who invented 7 minute abs is always going to be upset with the fellow who championed 6 minute abs. Its a legit complaint until the 6 minute abs guy has a more worthy cause...

I do concur with Aaron that the only way to grow participation is to introduce people to competitive bass fishing. That starts with getting people confident they can compete. The guys signing up as boaters in the qualifiers are pulling alot of weight in my opinion.

I think theres a dangerous trap tourney anglers are falling into. Trying to short cut promotion. If you build it for the qualified masses, the masses will come. If you build it for few, but promote to the masses, then few will come.

Wow I cant believe comparisons are being made between an April tourney and a February tourney simply because its on the same body of water.  Isn't making it a three fish limit original? Or paying such a large big fish pot for an open original?  I may be in the minority on this, but I think the fishing is more consistent on Sammamish at this time of year and for that reason along with heavy winds making Washington more dangerous I would keep it at Sammamish.  The only downside to this tourney is the weather IMO.  You guys do a great job with the event, and  the proceeds go towards a great charity event.  My only advice would be to promote this event better.  It seems like I only see flyers on Wafish for the event.   Good luck and see you in February!

Well said Troy, keep up the good work Evergreen and see you boys next year.

troy kelly said:

Wow I cant believe comparisons are being made between an April tourney and a February tourney simply because its on the same body of water.  Isn't making it a three fish limit original? Or paying such a large big fish pot for an open original?  I may be in the minority on this, but I think the fishing is more consistent on Sammamish at this time of year and for that reason along with heavy winds making Washington more dangerous I would keep it at Sammamish.  The only downside to this tourney is the weather IMO.  You guys do a great job with the event, and  the proceeds go towards a great charity event.  My only advice would be to promote this event better.  It seems like I only see flyers on Wafish for the event.   Good luck and see you in February!

Guys, I don't care where you decide to have it, or whether you serve coffee or beer, I will be there as long as you provide enough notice of the date, and I can work it into my schedule. 

The best advice I can give is to save a date early on, and announce it early on.  Everyone is getting busier and there are more activities and family events that compete for our time, even in the winter.  I love fishing this tournament, and the only years I miss is from not getting it on my calendar prior to something else.

Thanks for having a tournament in February.  It took years to convince people this was a good idea, and I hate to see the interest dwindle.

ciao,
Marc

Thank you for all the input!

I've had some time to think about this, and have a proposal that I would like feedback on:

Individual tournament

No limit to number of anglers per boat

$50 buy in for adults, $25 buy in for adults traveling more than 100 miles, $25 buy in for youth

2ea- $1,000 big fish pots

morning big fish pot "must weigh in your fish by 11am -$1,000 payout

afternoon big fish pot "must weigh in your fish by 3pm - $1,000 payout

you can weigh in fish both morning/afternoon

you can win both pots

fish caught in the morning could still be weighed in the afternoon

Boats with 3 or more anglers would have blast off preference

5 free raffle tickets to anglers traveling more than 100 miles

Two week off limits period

I think this is something unique. It would also reduce mortality, because there would be fewer fish retained, especially in the afternoon, since there would be no point in having more than one fish per angler in the livewell.

If you were already planning on fishing this, would this format deter you from fishing it? If you weren't planning on fishing this, is this something that attracts you?

I don't really care much for the two week off limits.  Makes it tough for anyone out of town to have a meaningful practice.  With as many fish that cycle off those common spots I don't think it hurts the fishing. Obviously I'm a bit biased there....and possibly naive as well.

Not a big fan of individual tournaments, but it wouldn't dissuade me from fishing it.

I like the buy in amount.  Like the big fish payout.  Like the idea of a morning and afternoon weigh in.  Like the incentives for travelers.  

Ultimately I'm with Marc....  Very little, other than my own calendar would attract or depress my desire to support a good cause and fish this.  

Chad,

I think your ideas are unique and innovative. Those two things are not always appreciated but you definitely put some thought into the format. I like that you even made a provision for me driving across the state. I will make the drive as long as the pass is open. In the 5 years I have fished it the date has been provided in plenty of time for me to plan.

I like your new ideas but regardless of the format I will be there. I am tapering my tournament fish next year but this event will never get scratched from my list. I LOVE the 2 week off-limits! I would like to see guys show up to this event for the cause and forget about the competitive aspect. In my mind I'm having fun supporting a cause that just happens to be a bass tournament.

I'm with the 2 weeks off limits.....  The last three years for this event, I just show up and fish.  No need to prefish.  If you even remotely know the lake in winter, the fish will be where they are always at.....  My past success speaks for itself.  The idea that you need to prefish for this event is truely a waste of time, and puts undue pressure on a already small body of water.  Most everyone is fishing the same water ( 8 spots ) all day.

I like the double big fish pot idea....  Super idea to keep you mentally focused throughout the day with having a chance at late big fish pot.

Having it as an individual event, even though you might have one or two other guys in the boat would be interesting.  Does that mean, they have to be able to fizz there own fish.  Because I'm not sure everyone is really great at doing it, and when you fishing against the guy in the same boat, I might not be as motivated to help!!!!  Just kidding, I would help fizz any fish in my boat so as not to kill it.

Washington does run the risk of bad weather blowing out the event more so than Sammamish.  But that's true any day on the water anywhere.

Mark

My only thought about practice is for those who dont know the lake. If i knew the lake like the back of my hand id be pushing for 8 weeks off limits.

Jake your welcome to come over anytime and I will take you out on Sammamish and show what the deal is for winter fishing.

Mark

RSS

Blog Posts

Old Farts Tournament on Potholes

Posted by Tom Melowitz on September 7, 2019 at 2:45pm

New Group Added!

Posted by Eric Urstad on April 3, 2019 at 7:38pm

© 2024   Created by Jordan Doucet.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service