Washington Fishing

The Online Source for Washington Fishing Information

I have thought about this over and over again. If and when I caught a personal bass of a lifetime if I should keep it to make a skin mount of let it go and get a glass replica. Most of the time I lean towards the replica but every once in a while I lean towards the skin mount. What is your opinion on this?

Views: 209

Replies to This Discussion

I agree.  Had the opportunity to see Ryan's smallie (perhaps even two if I remember correctly) at the Sportsman's Show a couple years back.  Absolutely beautiful replicas. 

Ronald Hobbs, Jr. said:
I had my smallie done by Dave Campbell as well, he is an unbelievable artist, he lives in Spanaway/Fredrickson. He paints each individual scale, Ryan's fish is awesome and the picture doesnt even do it justice. It truely is a peice of art.

Don Hogue said:

Replica...

Although I see a lot of not so good ones.  One thing that anoys me is when they make the underside of a smallmouth in a wash-out white look.  It's hard to find someone who will do the mottled underside look right. 

Here's an example of what I mean with an unrealistic underside...

Ryan Brown had one done that I think looks great. 

This guys is local, and is a real artist.  When I decide to have mine done, he'll be the guy.

http://www.davecampbellfish.com/home.htm

Wow, I've been looking some at this site and had no idea Washington had the quality of fish I'm seeing! I've always believed it's the individuals right whether to keep or release that trophy when they catch one without being looked down upon, but am encouraged by all those here who practice C&R. Here are a couple of fish I've caught this past year that are now on my wall but still swimming for someone else to have the opportunity to catch again.

BTW I'm familiar with Dave Campbell's work and anyone choosing him will not be disappointed. His coldwater fish are some of the best I've seen.

Kevin

www.stenzelfish.com

Attachments:
Yeah, Ryans replica is the best I've seen, and a great story behind it also.

Larrick,

It greatly depends on the Taxidermist (artist) in my opinion. I have seen some replica mounts that were better than skin mounts. I have a buddy of mine in the Texas area that did Taxidermy (Bass Only) that was one of the best around with the use of an air brush on skin mounts and fiberglass mounts.

Stop by my office sometime and I will show you some samples.

Russ

RSS

Blog Posts

Old Farts Tournament on Potholes

Posted by Tom Melowitz on September 7, 2019 at 2:45pm

New Group Added!

Posted by Eric Urstad on April 3, 2019 at 7:38pm

© 2024   Created by Jordan Doucet.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service