Washington Fishing

The Online Source for Washington Fishing Information

I am curious about how the rest of you tournament fisherman stay focused on the water. From pre-fishing...to tournament day.....how do you cope with the changing conditions, fishing pressure ( on the fish), and decision making through out the day.

I don't know HOW many times I have pre fished and done outstanding....and come out with a great plan and/or milk run and pattern...only to have it blow up on tournament day. The frustration levels go higher and higher, which makes it more difficult to focus.

What do you do? Do you have a fall-back pattern....like dragging a rig, flipping bushes, crankbaits......or do you just stick to what you THOUGHT was the right pattern and hope it turns out? Of Course, experience level and familiarization of the water is a big factor, but generally speaking.....I am curious how you guys approach it.

Thanks

Jeff

Views: 33

Replies to This Discussion

Mentally I have already won! You can't shake it can you? I'm in your head!

Eric DeLay said:
Good one. And you're are acting like a ....... because?

Ronald Hobbs, Jr. said:
You have really turned GAY using words like "Bromantic" WTF and calling me a Menstrual Cycle....huh? Congratulations.....You are becoming that 'Internet WEIRDO'!Eric DeLay said:
You two have really taken to sticking up for each other. How bromantic!

Ronald Hobbs, Jr. said:
LMAO Eric you are so easy to get out of your game!!!

Jeff Grimes said:
Wow, Eric.......I would have never guessed you were that "in touch" with your Feminine side. We are all men here and a little meaningless jabs and harmless name calling is okay, but I would say you may have crossed some kind of boundary line?

Is it because of the Power Pole?

BR>No one ever explained to me what the quote meant, I was just guessing based off of what I know about your little buddy and his approach to fishing you menstrual cycle
Well said, Steve.

ciao,
Marc

Steve Hastings said:
Wow what a flurry!! Like the 12th round of a Championship fight in the last minute of a close bout....

Good topic though and back on the slightly more serious side, because everyone has had their moments, I think we are right to be concerned how we handle those times when things don't go right. I think working on all your weaknesses makes you better.

A little technique you can employ is process Orel Hershiser described when asked about how he kept that streak of scoreless innings going in '88 to set the record at 59.
He talked about how he didn't worry about the next several innings, nor keeping the scoreless streak going. Can you imagine if you were on inning 1 and thinking about…. I have to pitch 58 more scoreless innings. He described just focusing on the next pitch, and how he didn't think about the outcome of that pitch, but focused on his feet placement, and getting the sign, a relaxed delivery.

The point is by focusing on the next cast and executing it perfectly, your mind won't have time to think about the crap you can't control anyway. The placement of your lure, that soft entry into the water, or the proper tension on the line all the way to the bottom. When things are going great you don't have to consciously think about them, they "Instinctively" happen. But When things go to crap, just try refocusing on repeated perfect presentations. ( for a few minutes consciously)

Some people call it living in the moment, but that sounds like psychobabble to me, just refocus on the details of the job at hand. I have heard top tournament guys describe it as focusing on “Getting the next bite”. Can you imagine starting a tournament and thinking, I have to catch 36 fish, because I’ll need to cull 31 times before I’ll have my five that can win….not me I’m just not that good.

Good Luck

Steve
Steve I tried to tell this to Chad. I like to set humps like catch a limit, have 8 pounds, have 10 pounds... sort of intermediate goals. Early in the morning I am like we need a 2 pounder to get to 8 pounds.

Chad comes back to me with Kevin Van Dam says if you fish to win you will win, and you fish for second you will loose.

Well at the end of the day I had put 4 of the 5 keepers in the boat for the win.... Who is right now Chad? haha

Ok all jokes aside like Steve said fish for your next fish. Don't focus on the end of the day.
You haven't beaten me mentally because of your sad attempts at harassing me, you beat me mentally because you always catch bigger bags than me and it is very frustrating.

Unfortunately for the last several years my best days are worse than your worst days. I will be back though. I have some ideas for the ABA tournament in a few weeks so hopefully Mike and I can make a run at beating the Dynamic Duo in a tourney. If that doesn't work out there is always next year I guess. Practice, practice, practice.

P.S. Your dumbassedness is only rivaled by your new little girlfriend PBGrimes.

Ronald Hobbs, Jr. said:

Eric DeLay said:

Ronald Hobbs, Jr. said:
You have really turned GAY using words like "Bromantic" WTF and calling me a Menstrual Cycle....huh? Congratulations.....You are becoming that 'Internet WEIRDO'!Eric DeLay said:

Ronald Hobbs, Jr. said:

Jeff Grimes said:
Wow, Eric.......I would have never guessed you were that "in touch" with your Feminine side. We are all men here and a little meaningless jabs and harmless name calling is okay, but I would say you may have crossed some kind of boundary line?

BR>No one ever explained to me what the quote meant, I was just guessing based off of what I know about your little buddy and his approach to fishing you menstrual cycle
Dont let those dorks get the best of you Eric. My plan is to run over those 2 clowns at the ABA WA if they have the guts to fish it.

Eric DeLay said:
You haven't beaten me mentally because of your sad attempts at harassing me, you beat me mentally because you always catch bigger bags than me and it is very frustrating.

Unfortunately for the last several years my best days are worse than your worst days. I will be back though. I have some ideas for the ABA tournament in a few weeks so hopefully Mike and I can make a run at beating the Dynamic Duo in a tourney. If that doesn't work out there is always next year I guess. Practice, practice, practice.

Ronald Hobbs, Jr. said:

Eric DeLay said:

Ronald Hobbs, Jr. said:

Ronald Hobbs, Jr. said:

Jeff Grimes said:

When you resort to calling people petty names and threatening to run them over then YOU HAVE LOST! Guts to fish your kidding right? I tell you what I'm already so far in Delays head, you guys don't have a chance.

Mike Bess said:
Dont let those dorks get the best of you Eric. My plan is to run over those 2 clowns at the ABA WA if they have the guts to fish it.

Eric DeLay said:

Ronald Hobbs, Jr. said:

Eric DeLay said:

Ronald Hobbs, Jr. said:

Ronald Hobbs, Jr. said:

Jeff Grimes said:

I mean LITERALLY run over you two, then go fishing.... May be the best plan I've had all year for a tournament.

Ronald Hobbs, Jr. said:
When you resort to calling people petty names and threatening to run them over then YOU HAVE LOST! Guts to fish your kidding right? I tell you what I'm already so far in Delays head, you guys don't have a chance.

Mike Bess said:

Eric DeLay said:

Ronald Hobbs, Jr. said:

Eric DeLay said:

Ronald Hobbs, Jr. said:

Ronald Hobbs, Jr. said:

Jeff Grimes said:

It is a little sad when our game plan involves praying for them to break down on the way in :-)

I just don't know how I am going to deal with the intensity of my little buddy's trash talking. If he hadn't done that he would only have the fact that he is 10 times better at bass fishing to rely on. Well it is better to not take any chances I guess.

Mike Bess said:
I mean LITERALLY run over you two, then go fishing.... May be the best plan I've had all year for a tournament.

Ronald Hobbs, Jr. said:

Mike Bess said:

Eric DeLay said:

Ronald Hobbs, Jr. said:

Eric DeLay said:

Ronald Hobbs, Jr. said:

Ronald Hobbs, Jr. said:

Jeff Grimes said:

Uh oh, Jon has discovered a flaw in our plan.

Jon Sessler said:
I'm just wondering, are you going to run over the other 20 guys that usually finish in front of you Mike?

Eric DeLay said:
It is a little sad when our game plan involves praying for them to break down on the way in :-)

I just don't know how I am going to deal with the intensity of my little buddy's trash talking. If he hadn't done that he would only have the fact that he is 10 times better at bass fishing to rely on. Well it is better to not take any chances I guess.

Mike Bess said:

Ronald Hobbs, Jr. said:

Mike Bess said:

Eric DeLay said:

Ronald Hobbs, Jr. said:

Eric DeLay said:

Ronald Hobbs, Jr. said:

Ronald Hobbs, Jr. said:

Jeff Grimes said:

Brian- Due to your partner's inability to make good decisions, you two just made the list...
Eric I haven't been fishing since potholes and i've been bored, sorry if I talked to much trash but like fishing I like go up against the best.... you know me I just like getting under your skin a little. Also I am not better than anyone else out there in fishing I might just have a mental edge over some.
Put down the cocktail Jon, the work week is only half over.

RSS

Blog Posts

Old Farts Tournament on Potholes

Posted by Tom Melowitz on September 7, 2019 at 2:45pm

New Group Added!

Posted by Eric Urstad on April 3, 2019 at 7:38pm

© 2024   Created by Jordan Doucet.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service