Washington Fishing

The Online Source for Washington Fishing Information

While everyone involved in the preparation of this tournament series goes above and beyond, what they can't control is participation.  To say that I was extremely disappointed in the number of teams at yesterday event is an understatement.  44 teams participated when this event typically draws a minimum of 60-70.  I do want to thank the teams who fished yesterday, especially those from Oregon, Idaho, and the eastside of our state.  Correct me if I am wrong, but there may have been more teams from outside the local area who fished yesterday.  That is embarrassing considering I can think of at least 15 local teams that were not there.  Thank you Ron and Mike for saving face for us westsiders and sacking the biggest LK WA bag I have ever seen with 23lbs that included a 7lb sow.  It's too bad that only 44 teams showed up to see it......

As a bass fishing community we have to support those who sponsor these events, and the same goes for those who work very hard to bring us NW Bass.  I'm not sure we all understand what it means to have NW Bass here in Washington.  It would be interesting to see everything that goes in to setting one of these events up and how much it costs.  Look what happened to the ABA series.  My first tournament was on Lk WA 15 years ago.  It was an ABA event and there were 80 something teams.  Now they are lucky to draw 20 teams to an event.  My opinion is if it were me and I had another turnout like this next year, I wouldn't be back.... 

Views: 2109

Replies to This Discussion

Dana,

no need for apologies to me i didn't take it personally i know it was a blanket statement to all but thank you. i just wanted to explain the reasons for us not being around the last two years.. (besides wanting Ron to regain his confidence at washington) LOL.... trust us we both are itching to get back at it and missing the tournys as they pass...  good luck to everyone!!

Dana Steiner said:

Joel, my apologies if you felt my comment was directed towards you personally. I respect your decisions regarding family and priorities. Hope to see you guy's back in action soon.

Dez, the federation immediately started seeing their numbers decline when WE the fishermen in this state voted to split our federation. When WE had one federation, almost all of the more advanced tournament anglers participated including myself (I consider myself average). WE fielded great state teams that flat out dominated at times. Then came the split, the segregation of our core group. The federations argued, bass clubs argued, and many of our most respectable fishermen argued. Potential new members showed up to join clubs, only to be soured by the negative atmosphere. I personally don't care if WE represent BASS or FLW. Untill WE all get back together, our state federation(s) will continue to see poor participation. I'm guilty as charged: I was once the president of our local bass club, I participated with the federation, I fished the qualifiers and I represented the state team. Now I don't even belong to a club, I'm one of many who chose this path. Like Joel, I have other priorities in my life outside of fishing. I decided the federation no longer offered me the challenge nor the satisfaction I was used to experiencing. I do hold out hope however, that WE will realize our mistake and do what is nescessary to make our state federation stronger. This is a good discussion by all contributors, it definately is opening up allot of different opinions. 

I don't care who does or doesn't fish these events. The main thing everyone has to realize is that participation is what drives the manufacturers to back the circuits. That is why there is a 60 boat minimum for the bonus dollars, in NW Bass. Without strong numbers you can expect those dollars to go away, and when those dollars and the large payouts cease, the circuit will cease also. 

When I began my unsuccessful tournament career the ABA, The Big Bass Blast, Cast for Kids, and the Jamboree were the big events. When NW Bass showed up, it became the next big thing. The Big Bass Blast, and Cast for Kids tournaments went away, and the ABA has still not recovered. 

The reality is that all things have a useful life cycle, we may be witnessing the beginning of the end of the current tournament circuits as we now know them. 

Dana - the "numbers" don't lie, whatever they may be....

Boy your sure whine and complain alot!

Keep in perspective it was ONE bad turnout. I don't think NW Bass is on its death bed. A NW Bass event at Lake Washington might be but the circuit is not going away just because one event had a poor showing. Come on now.

Not whining or complaining....commenting.

Back under your bridge - Troll!

Phil Mehrtens said:

Be nice to my new tournament partner.

Josh Potter said:

Keep in perspective it was ONE bad turnout. I don't think NW Bass is on its death bed. A NW Bass event at Lake Washington might be but the circuit is not going away just because one event had a poor showing. Come on now.

That was a statement about the topic in general...jackwagon.

Do you want him back?

Please?

Josh Potter said:

You said "come on now" which was a direct insult and I didnt appreciate it.

Josh Potter said:

You dont mean that.

Jon Sessler said:

Do you want him back?

Please?

Josh Potter said:

Sorry Jon the comment was for your boy friend Mike Bess who started this cry fest! Now i will crawl under my bridge.

Jon Sessler said:

Not whining or complaining....commenting.

Back under your bridge - Troll!

Phil Mehrtens said:

RSS

Blog Posts

Old Farts Tournament on Potholes

Posted by Tom Melowitz on September 7, 2019 at 2:45pm

New Group Added!

Posted by Eric Urstad on April 3, 2019 at 7:38pm

© 2024   Created by Jordan Doucet.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service