Washington Fishing

The Online Source for Washington Fishing Information

With all the recent warranty posts lately, along with the box of broken parts on my desk, I started thinking about product quality and durability in our sport. I fish quite a bit, but nothing extraordinary (qualify for both boat tournaments and a few opens here and there.) This year it seems that everything I own, from every possible manufacturer, I've broke at some point or another. I have dealt with every warranty department under the sun, some good and some bad. I know there are guys that are generally tougher on their equipment than the general population, but I usually don’t get that label. That’s why this year left me scratching my head, thinking “do they not make stuff like they used to?” So I’ll post what I broke this year, and maybe you guys can one-up me. This isn’t a complaint-fest, but more for the humor of 2009’s season.

Broken stuff – in order of occurrence.

1.) 250 HPDI Yamaha – first 5 minutes of ownership, fried hole number 6. New powerhead from Yamaha, new lower unit and new prop. (best company to work with ever.) Didn’t test drive cause I paid a dealership 2 hours to tell me the outboard was in tip-top shape. (new series 2 powerhead runs like an monkey on crack)
2.) G Loomis 853 GLX – guide foot unwrapped and front cork detached from blank (actually made it easier to screw reel into seat)
3.) 3 - G Loomis 844 IMX – the tip inserts fall out – I don’t send these back anymore. Instead I bought a glue stick, 10 lighters and ton of replacement tip tops from mudhole.com. If you ever lose a tip on a Loomis (in the middle of a tournament is usually when mine pop out) find me, and I’ll fix it on the water. Practice makes perfect.
4.) Anything from Fenwick – if I touch a Fenwick product it becomes an instant pile of junk – crankshaft rod, the reel seat spun on the blank – Those elite tech drop shot rods just hate me (awesome rod but I’m afraid to touch it’s replacement – still in the shipping container in the basement.)
5.) Aquaview Camera – wrapped cord in prop – told my partner “Whoa whoa!!!” when I felt the line rolling up, and he took that to mean… throw boat in reverse and rev it. Haven’t called customer service at Aquaview cause I don’t want the lady to laugh at me (nobodies fault but mine)
6.) Skeeter Digital dash panel – this lovely item controls the basic things like live-wells, bilge pumps, console power and my sanity. This unit went out during prefish for the NWBass Championship. It might have something to do with every other wave coming over the console on the ride back to the launch, but shouldn’t boat parts be waterproof?
7.) Lowrance LMS-332C – my second one that just doesn’t work, 2 hours into prefish Friday at Banks - no screen blinky. The customer service at Lowrance has given me all the motivation necessary to buy Humminbird for 2010.
8.) Shimano Curados and Symetre – I love shimano, but even I can break them, or lose drag caps, or somehow flip the back reel switch in 4 footers causing all the line to spool off in the rod locker…. Have 3 on my desk to get fixed – all feel like the rear-end in my Dodge… which leads me to…
9.) 2007 Dodge Cummins tow vehicle – new water pump at 34k (after Boardman practice – makes sense), new rear-end after Tri-Cities boat tournament 36k. That SOB was grinding on the way to a CDA tournament and I thought about leaving it in reverse on the ramp… Love the truck but… made in Mexico

So how's that for a challenge? Can anybody one-up that season.

Views: 252

Replies to This Discussion

Mike B, what about the issue Wolsky had at washington... what did that turn out to be? ... Kill switch?

From all the posts I think i have it figured out...... don't buy anything....that way it can't break.

Been lucky this year, nothing major. Broke a lamiglas rod XCF703 at the divisional, they replaced it no questions. Lost the insert in a couple of tips.
I do have something that just appeared on one of my LMS337C's it isn't reading the my navionics card, says card not there, but haven't spent more than 2minutes looking at it yet.

Feeling pretty lucky....got off easy...
And ate it

Jake "The Snake" Anderson said:
I had an urge to hunt ducks last January.....this resulted in a broken Carb, broken trailer lights, and a cracked trailer frame. Expensive trip!

I broke a cheap Sportsmans wherehouse spinning rod tip.

On the brightside I also broke my PB smallmouth....lol.
Thats not fair, nor is it true. The truth is I have only eaten about 5 bass in my life, and none of which were over 14 inches. I know your just joking, but I'd rather not be known as a bass eater on this site....or any other because I am not. When are we going fishing?
Good post.

I just spent $2800 at Nixons WW to replace two I class fenders, complete brake set up, new livewell pumps that have never worked since I have owned the boat, and a new digital panel that worked on and off since I have owned the boat.

If anyone is interested my wrapped 21 I Class is going up for sale in the near future.
I'm buying a brand new boat that no one sells out here.
Had the power leads in the head of my Motor Guide trolling motor break, was able to self repair. Also the control cable has bent, have self straightened and reinforced, forsee total replacement comming in the future. My live well pump broke at the hose attachments, ended up replacing the the pump and control at the same time as the factory glues them together instead of just using teflon tape on the threads. Broke off a big largemouth on the hookset on Long Lake in Lacey.
Let me know when you get it, I want to see it and maybe go for a ride. :-)

Russ Baker said:
Good post.

I just spent $2800 at Nixons WW to replace two I class fenders, complete brake set up, new livewell pumps that have never worked since I have owned the boat, and a new digital panel that worked on and off since I have owned the boat.

If anyone is interested my wrapped 21 I Class is going up for sale in the near future.
I'm buying a brand new boat that no one sells out here.
Sounds like a date is being planned. You two would make a good couple...

Jake "The Snake" Anderson said:
Thats not fair, nor is it true. The truth is I have only eaten about 5 bass in my life, and none of which were over 14 inches. I know your just joking, but I'd rather not be known as a bass eater on this site....or any other because I am not. When are we going fishing?
I regrettably vowed not to say anything...... but it had something to do with a manual tank switch in the back........

Steve Hastings said:
Mike B, what about the issue Wolsky had at washington... what did that turn out to be? ... Kill switch?

From all the posts I think i have it figured out...... don't buy anything....that way it can't break.

Been lucky this year, nothing major. Broke a lamiglas rod XCF703 at the divisional, they replaced it no questions. Lost the insert in a couple of tips.
I do have something that just appeared on one of my LMS337C's it isn't reading the my navionics card, says card not there, but haven't spent more than 2minutes looking at it yet.

Feeling pretty lucky....got off easy...
Jake wow now thats some bad mojo you got going on!

To comment on your reels. I can not say for certain that reels like Curados and Symetres aren't made for people that fish as much or as hard as we do? However I will tell you my experiences, observations, and research combined. Look hard and at the details of the internal components of what is in the reel gears.....

I have used Chronarc's, Stradic as my main arsenal for 10+ years now. knock on wood problem free!! and I put all these reels to the max test as I fish kings and silvers in AK and winter steelies locally as well with them. Go back to the original claim to fame that really put shimano reels on the map "the Calcutta" simple and made to last I have had 2 of them now for 10 & 15 years. If you step up maybe paying as much as 40% for your reels... get to that next level I believe you really do get what you pay for. Oh and also maintain your reels!! I go through and tune all my reels religiously every year clean with hot water and soap, soak them, new oil, bearing grease... Now here's the upside you pay $159 for a stradic vs $99 for a symetre use them for 3-5 yrs take good care of them and sell the stradics on ebay for aprox $90-$110 all day long you wont get that return on the symetres.I've done it 15+ times. The highend shimano's have a great resale value and following! Stradics, Stellas, Chronarcs, Calais, some of the older 5-7 yrs Chronarc SF's are even money they are selling used now for the same price I paid new 6 years ago. Just a thought?? maybe this will eliminate your reel problems for next year :)
No way. Daiwa and I have never gotten along. I've owned 5 of them, from HSTA Advantages to Fuego's, and they never last a whole season. Out of the box they're butter smooth, casting the lightest baits. By mid August they're only good for 2oz swimbaits, and 3/4oz rattle traps.

Innoskinny is right about getting what you pay for with reels, but my partners stradic's have some grinding and nashing going on. Maybe we fish more than we think we do, and I'm just hard on equipment.

I've gotten in the habit of sending my Shimano's to Dan Issac of Reel-ex.com. He charges $20 bucks a reel, but they come back better than new. It's a good investment for reels that a typical cleaning won't repair.

This post has really gone farther than I expected, and it got me to thinking.... What have I learned from all this repair and replace nonsense (probably not enough)? If anything, I know the brands that I will stay away from due to recent performance and first hand experience. I know that companies make changes to stay alive during the shifting economic tides, but some changes are for the worse. So here's my list.

1 - Lowrance - like I've said before - had enough of $750 -$1500 unit failures being the norm. Is that the status quo electronics? I hope not.

2 - Fenwick - they may have been the best once, but they're build quality, from my experience, is junk. I fished with a Fenwick sponsored angler last weekend, and his gear looked rough. Most of the finishing touches like butt-caps and hook keepers were broken, along with really week epoxy and guide frames.

3 - Daiwa/Quantum - only from my experience, they don't last a season. Also, there are many more qualified service departments for Shimano than any other brand. You can wear out a shimano (usually not in a year), but when you do, there's a multitude of repair shops that will bring it back to 100% for cheap.

4 - Motorguide - oohhhh boy. Don't get my started about those things. I've heard they're better than Minn-Kota in heavy current like the Tri-Cities. That may be true, but if you have ever hooked a frog fish in the weeds and you need to go get it, you might as well start the big motor. I fished a tournament where we had to abandon our main pattern due to a 109 motorguide's inability to move at all. We found the pattern with my Minn-Kota in practice, but decided to use the bigger, motorguide equiped, boat in the tournament.... whoops.

There's my list so far. With my experience in breaking stuff, I hope it helps somebody!!! Also, these are just opinions, and you know what those are like....

- j.boomer
I agree with you about the Stradics- They rarely last a season

Jake Boomer said:
No way. Daiwa and I have never gotten along. I've owned 5 of them, from HSTA Advantages to Fuego's, and they never last a whole season. Out of the box they're butter smooth, casting the lightest baits. By mid August they're only good for 2oz swimbaits, and 3/4oz rattle traps.

Innoskinny is right about getting what you pay for with reels, but my partners stradic's have some grinding and nashing going on. Maybe we fish more than we think we do, and I'm just hard on equipment.

I've gotten in the habit of sending my Shimano's to Dan Issac of Reel-ex.com. He charges $20 bucks a reel, but they come back better than new. It's a good investment for reels that a typical cleaning won't repair.

This post has really gone farther than I expected, and it got me to thinking.... What have I learned from all this repair and replace nonsense (probably not enough)? If anything, I know the brands that I will stay away from due to recent performance and first hand experience. I know that companies make changes to stay alive during the shifting economic tides, but some changes are for the worse. So here's my list.

1 - Lowrance - like I've said before - had enough of $750 -$1500 unit failures being the norm. Is that the status quo electronics? I hope not.

2 - Fenwick - they may have been the best once, but they're build quality, from my experience, is junk. I fished with a Fenwick sponsored angler last weekend, and his gear looked rough. Most of the finishing touches like butt-caps and hook keepers were broken, along with really week epoxy and guide frames.

3 - Daiwa/Quantum - only from my experience, they don't last a season. Also, there are many more qualified service departments for Shimano than any other brand. You can wear out a shimano (usually not in a year), but when you do, there's a multitude of repair shops that will bring it back to 100% for cheap.

4 - Motorguide - oohhhh boy. Don't get my started about those things. I've heard they're better than Minn-Kota in heavy current like the Tri-Cities. That may be true, but if you have ever hooked a frog fish in the weeds and you need to go get it, you might as well start the big motor. I fished a tournament where we had to abandon our main pattern due to a 109 motorguide's inability to move at all. We found the pattern with my Minn-Kota in practice, but decided to use the bigger, motorguide equiped, boat in the tournament.... whoops.

There's my list so far. With my experience in breaking stuff, I hope it helps somebody!!! Also, these are just opinions, and you know what those are like....

- j.boomer
Great discussion, it has been interesting, informative and pretty funny to read... I have broke a lot this year myself.

Something I didn't see mentioned here was insurance, both car and truck. I had my truck broken into this year while fishing at Lake Samish and dealing with my insurance was a joke (I ended up just buying a used window and not worrying about the stereo and bought a new truck a week later!). What does everyone use for insurance and is it good/bad?

I broke more stuff this year then I can say but I did break 5 G-Loomis rods and they all got replaced on the spot or sent a week later, no questions asked, by far an awesome deal. All were broke accidentally and not on a fish but still got replaced (rod locker, putting something on the hook keeper and high sticking, pulling a jig checking the tip, etc.)

I agree that all my shimano spinning reels have crapped out on me after 3 years. I just put them on ebay and replaced them with Daiwa's. I am almost getting the cost back by selling them which is pretty cool.

I hope both of my Lowrance depth finders last a little longer than what other people are saying...

Great information being spread around, keep it coming!

RSS

Blog Posts

Old Farts Tournament on Potholes

Posted by Tom Melowitz on September 7, 2019 at 2:45pm

New Group Added!

Posted by Eric Urstad on April 3, 2019 at 7:38pm

© 2024   Created by Jordan Doucet.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service