Washington Fishing

The Online Source for Washington Fishing Information

So now that the bass fishing season is starting to slow down for many anglers, I thought it would be interesting to revisit everyone's goals for 2010 to see which you met and which you were not able to meet.  Here is my rundown for 2010. I met 50% of my goals this year.  I hope to meet more goals in 2011!

1) Force myself to keep a DETAILED journal entry for every day I am on the water in 2010!!! I start this every year and only actually do it for a month or two.
Fail- I failed epically at this one.  I didn't even log a single fishing trip this year!

2) Make more trips to Washington and Sammamish this year.
 Fail- 5 trips to Washington and 2 to Sammamish.  I would consider this one a fail as well even though I did much better at each lake when I did get around to fishing them than I did in 2009.

3) Catch a largemouth on an 8" + swimbait.
Success- I got a largemouth on an 8" Huddleston Deluxe Trout.  I also got a couple smallmouth on an 8" Tru Tungsten Trout custom painted by Black Dog Lure Company in a Kokanee pattern (You would be surprised would you can stumble into online sometimes!).

4) Catch a smallmouth on the King Craw.
Fail- I threw this bait exclusively for 15 solid hours in October and got two bites and 0 hookups on it.  I did get some nice largemouth on it during the spring though.  

5) Gain more confidence in frogs for summer largemouth.
Success- I had some great days this summer on local largemouth lakes with the Black and Red River2Sea BullyWa frog.

6) Gain more confidence in punching the slop for summer largemouth.
 Fail-  I just didn't get around to trying this enough this year.  I tried it for one day and didn't land any fish in doing so. 

7) Add 5 new baits I have never caught a fish on to the "confidence list" of dropshot lures for smallmouth.
Success - Panic Minnow Dropswim, Smallie Beaver, Poor Boy's Goby, 6" Roboworm Zipper Shaking Worm, Jackall SuperPintail

8) Get in a habit of fishing tubes more frequently again.
Success- I had some of my best days on Banks and the Columbia River this year fishing the plain old boring Green Pumpkin Tube.

Views: 74

Replies to This Discussion

1) Fish the Delta as a Co-Angler...signed up but never made it off the wait list...they did call and say I could fish if I found a pro to fish with

2) Focus on the Largies this year, and gain more confidence in catching largemouth...never happened caused I fished too many tourneys this year and most were on smallie lakes

3) Catch at least 6 Largemouth over 5lbs on six different baits...I caught em but they were all on jigs

4) Catch a 5 lb largemouth on an 8" Hudd...no, didnt even throw it

5) Catch a 5lb Largemouth on a 6" Punker...no, didnt even throw it

6) Catch a 5lb Largemouth on a Frog...yes, gotta love potholes...thank you pj and mark

7) Catch a 5 lb Largemouth on a large jig and pig...yes, long lake and pjs custom jigs...color was called potholes special

8) Catch a 5lb Largemouth on a large spinnerbait...no, but I did throw this one

9) Catch a 5lb Largemouth on a 7" Senko...no, but I caught a couple 7 inchers on the 7 inch senko

I would also like to fish with and learn from more bass fisherman, that has helped me so much this year...I did this and then some, I fished tourney for the first time this year and was able to learn a ton!
That is awesome!
Gotta love the T-Shirt!!! HAHA Definitely getting myself one.

My goals for 2010:

Start my own Bass Fishing Guide Service:
SUCCESS-averaged 2-5 trips a month which made the boat payments. The best day was on American Lake with 3 smallies over 5lbs. and close to a 20 lb. limit for a salmon fishing client who was new to bass.

Fish FLW Series as a co-angler:
FAIL-was super close on the waiting list for all 4 and never got in.

Finish Top 10 in a large Tourney:
SUCCESS-Took a 9th place finish at the WA Bass Jamboree out of 170 anglers. The extra focus and preperation each day really helped, I talk too much when I fish with other people it seems. Threw confidence baits in high percentage areas and really exhausted myself all 3 days.

Get another Potholes Open Hat:
SUCCESS-23rd place, down from last years 16th but still in hat territory. Thanks to two 6lb. smallmouth in a row.

More time on the water:
FAIL-Girlfriend and getting ready for college kept me off the water more than I would like, but the time I did spend was better quality.

Fishing Log:
FAIL-need to get off my lazy butt when I get home from a tourney and write stuff down.

Swimbait fishing:
FAIL: barely threw it

Start the EWU FISHING CLUB:
SUCESS- We are going full steam ahead!
Thanks Tag, I will be devoting some more time into this technique. Then I will be able to get the shirt! haha.
2 other goals were met,pretty simple. One was more fishing trips more often.This was primarily
geared towards getting the family out more,my son had a blast catching bass,granted,they were small but he doesn't care about size. Also, finally joined up with a bass club,now maybe this big dummy(myself) can learn some new skills or at least hope.
My goal this year was to have fun on the water, fish all the club points tournaments with a goal of being in the top 10 at the end of the year. I had lots of fun, and landed the "Angler of the Year" spot.

RSS

Blog Posts

Old Farts Tournament on Potholes

Posted by Tom Melowitz on September 7, 2019 at 2:45pm

New Group Added!

Posted by Eric Urstad on April 3, 2019 at 7:38pm

© 2024   Created by Jordan Doucet.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service