Washington Fishing

The Online Source for Washington Fishing Information

Hello,

Wanted to pick the brains of those that fish NW Bass and see what their recommendations would be for someone that wanted to start fishing these tournaments.

I've fished IEBC for several years as well as the Demaris and Frostbite. Have my own boat and gear so would enter as an angler along with my father who is my co-angler. From the guys I know that enter the NW Bass tournaments currently, they definitely enjoy fishing them so want to give it a try for 2013.

I am just curious if there are some words of wisdom or recommended approach to entering these from the guys that are currently competing? Major stumbling blocks to look out for? Any and all info welcome.

Thanks in advance,

-Todd

Views: 747

Replies to This Discussion

They are team tournaments, so you don't enter as angler/co-angler. Gary, Lisa, and Jeff run a great circuit. Numbers have been on the decline lately, as with all tournaments. They get great sponsorship, so there is a lot of cool incentives. Some will disagree with me, but if this is your first go around at fishing a circuit, and you live East; this is the circuit for you. I think the competition is superior in ABA, but the nice thing is they have both east/west divisions. NWBASS does a good job at puting you on the best bodies of water, at the best times of year. Weigh-ins run very fast, and as long as Lisa is there, then the awards come quickly thereafter. I'm sad they've vacated Western Washington, but with the economy the way it is, and the addition of Limit Out Marine, it makes sense they are throwing all their eggs into Eastern Washington.

My advice is to catch 5 fish bigger than the other teams.

Todd, welcome to the circuit!

Words of wisdom:  First and foremost, have fun!  Enjoy the opportunity to fish with your dad in a fun, team event that is run by professionals.  IMHO, your primary goal should be to have fun, because no amount of tournament winnings can equal the the value of having fun.

Major stumbling blocks:  anything that happens that keeps you from having fun.  Most often the expense of fishing tournaments is what keeps people from having fun, so go into this with a financial plan.  Don't decide you can afford to fish just because you have the entry fee in your checking account.  Thg best advice I can give you is to make sure you can afford to compete, otherwise it will not be fun.  Sure, some guys risk money their family needs, and this is the biggest mistake you can make.  Guys that do this feel they have to win at all costs, and these are the contestants that you do not want to be around, and are the ones that give tournament fishing a bad name.

Make it a point to learn something at every tournament, win or lose.  I find even the losses are worth the entry because I make it a point to learn something.  Let me give you an example.  When I started college I also considered myself a pretty good pool player because I could beat all my friends.  In town there was the local "billiard academy" that I hung out at, and I made it a point to play with guys that were better than me.  I would challenge them with the understanding that the loser had to pay for the table time, and the pitcher of beer after the game.  I chose to play guys that could beat me, because they were the guys that I could learn from (I never learned much from losers that was worth learning).  Sure, it cost me table time and beer, but I learned to be a much better pool player that earned me free pool and beer after a couple of years.  If you take this same perspective into fishing Northwest Bass, you will have fun and gain valuable skills even if you don't cash a check for a couple of years.  When you do cash a check, it will be the icing on the cake.  Either way, if your goal is to become a better angler rather than making money, you can't lose.

And finally, most of all I recommend you thank the tournament director and staff, and their sponsors, for hosting every tournament.  Contrary to what people think, they are not in it for the money, and without them we would not have the opportunity to learn to improve, or to get out and enjoy the outdoors, and escape the hard realities of everyday living.

ciao,
Marc Marcantonio

P.S.  and did I mention...Have FUN!!

As long as you can afford the money and time to fish then you can't go wrong. The time can be as difficult to come up with as the money sometimes. Every guy has a different motive for tournament fishing. Your experience with the circuit might depend on your motives for trying it. 

I think it's the best team tournament fishing opportunity we have around here. I love it and glad to hear that some new folks are going to give it a go.

Very well said Marc ... is advice I am going to take into this upcoming year.  Thanks for sharing your insight!

Appreciate the info guys!

I learned early on that it's one thing to go out and learn something at your leisure but for some reason competing definitely drives improvement considerably more. My goals are to become a better angler so that is my motivation into NW Bass. Dad and I always have a fun time so makes for a great atmosphere to learn and grow.

If you guys had to do it all over again, what would be your approach when you stepped up to this circuit?

-Todd

Good luck have fun and dont get frustrated its a tough circuit and the guys that put the time in do well almost every tournament. Its a real blast fishing against some of the best in washington and surrounding areas. A lot of the guys fishing are great people and you can ask for better people to be around especially gary lisa jeff and kathy and dan can be funny to. Like I said good luck and have fun see you on the water

Make friends, trust your instincts, laugh, smile,make jokes, remember its still just fishing and have fun.

RSS

Blog Posts

Old Farts Tournament on Potholes

Posted by Tom Melowitz on September 7, 2019 at 2:45pm

New Group Added!

Posted by Eric Urstad on April 3, 2019 at 7:38pm

© 2024   Created by Jordan Doucet.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service