Washington Fishing

The Online Source for Washington Fishing Information

While fishing Banks this weekend, Chad and I were discussing the upcoming drawdown starting August 2011. The reason for the drawdown is for dam repairs and other maintenance that occurs every 10-15 years. I am curious to hear what kind of effect you guys think this will have on a Banks Lake bass fishery that seems to be already sub-par for quality fish.

My thoughts are that the Smallmouth will likely move out and not be effected seriously, however, my concern comes when thinking about what will happen to the largemouth. Some of the highest populations of largemouth in the lake are obviously in the bays and the punchbowl, which will be high and dry by a longshot with the draw down.

My biggest questions are:

• Do you think the largemouth will be able to adapt like the smallmouth?
  • What kind of effect will the draw down have on the spawn, especially for the largemouth?
  • Will they skip a spawning year as a result?
  • What will happen to the fishing when they bring the water back up?

I am also really curious to know what the effects of the drawdown were last time that did it and if any efforts were taken to plant artificial structure, etc...

To end my long ramble, maybe this isn't necessarily a bad thing. Maybe a decrease in overall fish population would be a good thing for a lake that is notorious for stunted fish. Despite being a very large lake, I think there is a limited amount of good habitat which could result in over population. Maybe a fresh start with a clear effort to increase habitat on the lake with artificial structure planted in the normal areas would be a good thing. Maybe as the largest community of bass fishermen in the state, we could play a huge part in bringing the fishery back? Thoughts?  

Views: 1933

Replies to This Discussion

I think like you said Jordan, the smallmouth will adapt and move into the main lake and be fine, the largemouth will hopefully not be greatly affected since there is not a huge population of them. I think they will move out and find deeper water once the draw down starts. As for them spawning, like what happened to lake chelan i think 2 years ago? the lake was really far down in the spring, further than normal and once they started getting on beds, they bedded in deeper water and when the water level started to rise, you didnt really see alot of beds like you normally do in the shallow water, they were just out deeper so the water level didnt affect them. I think they will adapt to it
I haven't checked the elevations, but are you sure the Punch Bowl will drain all the way? Or even the other largemouth areas? Maybe the topography will just turn them into lakes. This could be good for the bass if fishermen do not have easy access to them, or it could be disasterous if access is easy and the bass are concentrated where they are easily targeted.

The smallmouth population needs to be seriously thinned to improve the average size of the bass, but I doubt the lowering of water level will accomplish this. What has to be watched is the affect on weed beds. I don't have any experience with Banks Lake in past drawdowns, but I would expect the weedbeds to take a huge hit with a one or two year drawdown, which will have a negative affect. Someone familiar with previous Banks drawdowns could be more definitive on this point as history will repeat itself.

If the water levels were left to remain low for several years, and the newly exposed shorelines became vegetated, and then later flooded, then the fishing would explode and produce large bass like a new lake does. This occurs from the increased fertilization the flooded vegetation adds to the water.

ciao,
Marc
From what I have read, the lake will be drained apx. 25 feet, and will be back at full pool by the end of March.
I've heard 30 feet.
My concern is also about the largemouth. I used to fish Lake Powell back in the heydays. It's a large rock canyon type lake that reminds me of Banks. Initially the largemouth fishing was tremendous, but as wood cover, ( trees, sagebrush, and mesquite ) rotted away the largemouth fishing slowly detriorated. This was compounded by large water level flucuations in the 90's as a long draught trend occured also. Recently the largemouth have been making a come back with the introduction of a new invasive baitfish species. ( ie more food in the chain ).
With a quick draw down and refill, this wont allow vegatation to grow in the newly exposed land, and possibly killing current weed beds. I feel this wont bode well for the largemouth at all. It will concentrate baitfish sources, but could possible kill alot of crawdad populations. With a lack of food sources I can see a serious largemouth kill happening. The only hope may be the really small smallmouth may become the best source of food for largemouth during this time. Let's hope for this and the big smallies and largies thin the herd a little.

Mark
I am concerned with what will happen to the aquatic vegetation in those bays when they become dry. How long will it take for that stuff to come back?
I dont know the exact answer to this question, but tapps is drawn down every fall and the weeds come back as soon as the water warms up every year. I for one hope they drain the water slow enough that the fish have a chance to migrate out of the bays.

troy

Josh Potter said:
I am concerned with what will happen to the aquatic vegetation in those bays when they become dry. How long will it take for that stuff to come back?
Here is a question. How did Silver Lake recover after the dam broke 10 or 15 years ago? I don't fish the lake often, and never did back then, so I have no references. And, wasn't it about 1997 when Banks was last drained? How was the largemouth fishing in the lat 90's on Banks?
I heard 28.4 ft...

Jordan Doucet said:
I've heard 30 feet.
Bess, is that a joke? I thought jokes where no longer allowed on wafish? You better watch yourself before someone gets upset.
I think they will adapt just fine. Look at all the lakes in California and ArIzona, like Shasta and Powell. Those lakes have been drawn down 50-80 feet and the fish have adapted just fine. I think the biggest thing to worry about is the smaller volume of water will result in higher water temps and lower oxygen levels. That is if they draw it way down. The fish will adapt. And then they will adapt again when they raise it back up.
I just spoke with Kathleen at Coulee Playland. She says that from what she understands the draw down may be delayed even more. The question came up about the factories in canada dumping toxic waste into the river and now they are supposed to do a study on that to see how it is affecting the fish.
The businesses are trying hard to fight this draw down because I am sure it will cost them money but it almost sounds to me like it is going to happen eventually so maybe they should just do it so its done and move on. How much time and money are they putting into fighting this thing. I do understand their point of view though with not wanting to lose business.
I don't know just my opinion I guess.

RSS

Blog Posts

Old Farts Tournament on Potholes

Posted by Tom Melowitz on September 7, 2019 at 2:45pm

New Group Added!

Posted by Eric Urstad on April 3, 2019 at 7:38pm

© 2024   Created by Jordan Doucet.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service