Washington Fishing

The Online Source for Washington Fishing Information

i know jigs work this time of year just dont know where what color and size and how to work em

Views: 163

Replies to This Discussion

You have to use all sizes of heads the fish will determine what size they want. I start with a 3/4 oz and work my way up or down the chart. If the fish are really biting I will go up in size, why wait longer for it to hit the bottom, get it down where it belongs...on the bottom.  I have had other days where the fishing is tough and I have had to go down to 1/4 oz. to get bit. Let the fish determine this. Some of the best days on football heads have been 1 oz. days the fish where slamming and all you had to do was get your bait to the bottom and it had to be glued there. But I had other great days when I had to use a 1/4 oz and 6# test but once I figured it out I caught the tar out of them again. Let the fish be your deciding factor on what jig to use not the bozos including me on this site.  The other thing I don't know if you are aware of most of us talking about football head are talking just about a head and a hula grub or grub, no silicone skirt., no weed guard.  There are some places you want a weedguard and there are times where you want that skirt, but day in and day out just a jig head and a plastic bait is all that is needed.

There are alot of options out there for jig heads, every good bass shop has the ones you want. If you have any concerns at the shops just ask and they will point you in the right direction.  If you still want a skirted jig I am definetely partial to the Skinny Bear Jigs Elite Football heads.  For fishing in wood cover leave the weedguard in and just thin it out a bit and if you are just fishing rock then cut the whole weed guard off.

If you are going to fish jigs for Largies this time of year, go with a compact thick jig you might need to put an extra skirt on the jig, this slows the fall, I would also use pork, in either black or green pumpkin. I mostly use 3/8 oz. size and 20# line. Stay with dark colors black and blue is probably the best for early in the year. Everything is slow in the Largies world right now, so make sure your jig falls slow but has enough bulk to have some pull from fish sitting farther away.  Fish you jig slowly through the prime zones.  Most of the time the fish will still eat your jig on the fall, or when it is sitting on the bottom on the initial cast or the first couple shakes after it has sat there a little bit.

I usually make my own jigs for early in the season because I love thick thick skirts, to slow that fall, the other thing I do is trim the material back, so it is even with the bend of the hook. You can get this same effect if you where to steal a skirt off another jig and put it on the same jig that you are using so that it actually has 2 skirts and I would go to say maybe even 3 skirts isn't overkill.

I think there is alot more to it to catch them but that is the pure basics not overworded.

what color works best on sawyer, sammamish, and washington
I used to think I knew a little about jig fishing until I read this thread....now I'm all confused.

HAHA no way tag.

I think your just keeping quiet to keep us all guessing haha.

Then you go out and have a good day on your 1/2 oz. FB jig, custom painted head, hand-tied skirt and special colored trailer, only to find out that somebody else killed 'em on the C-rig...
What kind of mold are you using for your flipping jigs?

Ronald Hobbs, Jr. said:

If you are going to fish jigs for Largies this time of year, go with a compact thick jig you might need to put an extra skirt on the jig, this slows the fall, I would also use pork, in either black or green pumpkin. I mostly use 3/8 oz. size and 20# line. Stay with dark colors black and blue is probably the best for early in the year. Everything is slow in the Largies world right now, so make sure your jig falls slow but has enough bulk to have some pull from fish sitting farther away.  Fish you jig slowly through the prime zones.  Most of the time the fish will still eat your jig on the fall, or when it is sitting on the bottom on the initial cast or the first couple shakes after it has sat there a little bit.

I usually make my own jigs for early in the season because I love thick thick skirts, to slow that fall, the other thing I do is trim the material back, so it is even with the bend of the hook. You can get this same effect if you where to steal a skirt off another jig and put it on the same jig that you are using so that it actually has 2 skirts and I would go to say maybe even 3 skirts isn't overkill.

I think there is alot more to it to catch them but that is the pure basics not overworded.

Natural Colors

Adam Hokenson said:
what color works best on sawyer, sammamish, and washington
I buy some from different  e-retailers and I have a brush jig mold.
I use alot of different designs for different purposes.  I don't tie all the jigs I use either, I would rather buy my jigs it is less time consuming.  The only problem is that their are a few things I like that people dont make.  I use alot of skinny bear jigs, and have a few others that work great.  I want a jig with a good hook first of all and the right style of head, I am not a big fan of the brush jig head, for brush, or grass but it works well for more open water situations sparser cover skipping docks and timber.
bogey4444 said:
What kind of mold are you using for your flipping jigs?

Ronald Hobbs, Jr. said:

I will be doing seminars this week at the Sportsmen Show, I will be doing seminars on jig fishing, above the basics, this will be all about weedless jigs mostly for largies, if you are interested or are going anyhow.
What day are you doing the jig fishing seminar.

Ronald Hobbs, Jr. said:
I will be doing seminars this week at the Sportsmen Show, I will be doing seminars on jig fishing, above the basics, this will be all about weedless jigs mostly for largies, if you are interested or are going anyhow.

RSS

Blog Posts

Old Farts Tournament on Potholes

Posted by Tom Melowitz on September 7, 2019 at 2:45pm

New Group Added!

Posted by Eric Urstad on April 3, 2019 at 7:38pm

© 2024   Created by Jordan Doucet.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service