Washington Fishing

The Online Source for Washington Fishing Information

I have really enjoyed throwing a speed trap this year, but because it only weighs 1/4oz I usually dont get as much distance as I'd like. Do any of you guys have any tips or tricks that help you cast light lures father on baitcasting gear?

Views: 65

Replies to This Discussion

I think some of you guys are confused..... a speed trap is neither a "trap" style bait or top water bait. It is just a regular old crank bait. It is light but has a pretty big profile. I wouldn't bother going out and buying one...they suck! I don't even know why Joel is using them.
Like Ron said, get a longer rod or go to a glass rod, that way you can load up the rod and get better distance. I also thumb the reel for better control, no brakes.
Hey Uncle Daryl , Good luck saturday see ya down there man !!

Daryl Snodgrass said:
Like Ron said, get a longer rod or go to a glass rod, that way you can load up the rod and get better distance. I also thumb the reel for better control, no brakes.
http://rat-l-trap.com/2007/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage_images.tpl&product_id=33&category_id=22&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=89

Josh Potter said:
I think some of you guys are confused..... a speed trap is neither a "trap" style bait or top water bait. It is just a regular old crank bait. It is light but has a pretty big profile. I wouldn't bother going out and buying one...they suck! I don't even know why Joel is using them.
I could have sworn I read Trap, I see the "speed trap" now. I know all about the speed traps, it used to be my favorite crankbait.

Dez, a floating rattle trap, never seen that before. Thanks for the link.
NO PROB BRO !

Chris B said:
I could have sworn I read Trap, I see the "speed trap" now. I know all about the speed traps, it used to be my favorite crankbait.

Dez, a floating rattle trap, never seen that before. Thanks for the link.
I have found that to get the best distance you should use a quartered cast. Kind of a 2-o'clock position with the rod.
That is correct.

Josh Potter said:
If you want to throw a speed trap farther use a 3/4 oz
That is just taking the easy way out. I can't believe you let me get away with giving advice on throwing a little crank.
Remember my casting at Moses? LOL
That was a bigger reel though.

Mike Bess said:
You made a cast that was all of 20 ft and caught a 6.3 smallie. I guess I had you on the X.
They don't make them that big the small one is an eighth and larger one is a quarter and they use to make a sixteenth. Remember we're talking speed traps not rattle traps.

Mike Bess said:

RSS

Blog Posts

Old Farts Tournament on Potholes

Posted by Tom Melowitz on September 7, 2019 at 2:45pm

New Group Added!

Posted by Eric Urstad on April 3, 2019 at 7:38pm

© 2024   Created by Jordan Doucet.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service