Washington Fishing

The Online Source for Washington Fishing Information

Anyone seen this yet?

Fishing Contest Rules and Permits

A fishing contest is defined as any event where six or more licensed anglers (age 15 and older) fish competitively for game fish and determine winners, regardless of the prize value. A fishing contest permit is required by and issued by The Department of Fish and Wildlife. The fee for a fishing contest permit is $24.00 (no more than seven permits will be issued to any one permittee during the calendar year). Effective March 1, 2013, an application fee of $70.00 will be charged for each application submitted (RCW 77.65.480). The $70 application fee will be collected in addition to the fishing contest permit fee and it is non-refundable.  Applications for fishing contest permits may be submitted at any time of the year, but they must be received by the department no less than 30 days prior to the start date of the proposed contest. Bass and walleye contest applicants wishing to have their preferred dates considered equally with all other requested dates must have their applications received by the department by July 1 of the year preceding the year in which the contests are planned to be held. These applications will be processed simultaneously so all applicants have an equal opportunity to get preferred dates. Bass and walleye fishing contest applications received after July 1 will be processed on a first come first serve basis. Upon completion of a fishing contest, a final report is required to be submitted within 30 days. Please see the Washington Administrative Code (WAC) that governs fishing events for more detailed information.

Views: 1245

Replies to This Discussion

I don't see Western Bass Club on that list, we too hold seven tournaments a year.

John McHenry said:

Here's what everyone can expect...

PETA may now have a new meaning.

People Eating Tournament Applications

Lakewood Master Bassers has seven tournaments a year too !!!

Rodney Heupel said:

I don't see Western Bass Club on that list, we too hold seven tournaments a year.

John McHenry said:

Here's what everyone can expect...

SUBJECT:    RCW 77.65.480  

MESSAGE:    Dear Senator Steve Conway, Representative David Sawyer and Representative Steve Kirby

As a voting citizen of your district and the President of Western Bass Club, I am notifying you in protest to RCW 77.65.480.  

Fishing Contest Rules and Permits  

A fishing contest is defined as any event where six or more licensed anglers (age 15 and older) fish competitively for game fish and determine winners, regardless of the prize value. A fishing contest permit is required by and issued by The Department of Fish and Wildlife. The fee for a fishing contest permit is $24.00 (no more than seven permits will be issued to any one permittee during the calendar year). Effective March 1, 2013, an application fee of $70.00 will be charged for each application submitted (RCW 77.65.480). The $70 application fee will be collected in addition to the fishing contest permit fee and it is non-refundable. Applications for fishing contest permits may be submitted at any time of the year, but they must be received by the department no less than 30 days prior to the start date of the proposed contest. Bass and walleye contest applicants wishing to have their preferred dates considered equally with all other requested dates must have their applications received by the department by July 1 of the year preceding the year in which the contests are planned to be held. These applications will be processed simultaneously so all applicants have an equal opportunity to get preferred dates. Bass and walleye fishing contest applications received after July 1 will be processed on a first come first serve basis. Upon completion of a fishing contest, a final report is required to be submitted within 30 days. Please see the Washington Administrative Code (WAC) that governs fishing events for more detailed information.  

As a non-profit bass club that relies solely on low membership dues for funding this RCW 77.65.480 is totally prohibitive for the conduction of club fishing tournaments. I feel this is unfair and targeting the fishing community unfairly. This change will increase our current fees for one year from $168 to $658. This is cost prohibitive for my club. There are many clubs in the state that are affected by this in addition to Western Bass Club.  

These club tournaments are just a way for my club members to have some friendly competition amongst ourselves. We as a club make no money off of these tournaments. The tournament anglers who place in the money do not win enough to pay gas expenses for the week end. But to participate in these tournaments we contribute to the economies of local boat and tackle dealers, gas stations, restaurants, camp grounds both private and state. I feel this is unfair and targeting the fishing community unfairly. It is time to end this $70 surcharge per event. Do not let it end my club’s tournaments.  

Sincerely,  
Rodney Heupel  
President, Western Bass Club  

(I have spoken on the web page and sent the upabove e-mail)

Well done, Rodney.  If each club does this change is possible.  Consider also sending a letter to the State agencies like Dept. of Commerce; and also local Chambers of Commerce, and the Association of Washington Cities and the Association of Washington Counties.  Even Depts of Natural Resources, State Parks, etc. all will be affected by the lack of revenue generated through park fees/passes/monies for ramps, etc.

Marc,

As always, good direction. Thanks.

Marc Marcantonio said:

Well done, Rodney.  If each club does this change is possible.  Consider also sending a letter to the State agencies like Dept. of Commerce; and also local Chambers of Commerce, and the Association of Washington Cities and the Association of Washington Counties.  Even Depts of Natural Resources, State Parks, etc. all will be affected by the lack of revenue generated through park fees/passes/monies for ramps, etc.

I totally agree (surprise surprise).

I tried to rally a few to quit buying licenses, but couldn't get much response.

Gotta start somewhere.

Dana Steiner said:

Jon,

I won't claim to be a Democrat or Republican. Problem is both parties carry way too much baggage. I agree that the Democrats are sucking this country dry. However, the Republicans are selling our country overseas. I do support Rednecks, fishermen and hunters and yes I'm proud to say I'm one of them. I do support America (at least the America that I believe in) and I would support any candidate that could bring this back in check.

Why do we all think that an extreme change is impossible? When we all get tired of taking it up the gazoo, we will stand our ground. The problem is that most you liberal whimps are to scared and maybe you like it up the gazoo! I've read so many post on this site over the last couple of years, referring to being passive or political. How's that been treating your rights that you continue to lose almost everyday? Extreme change requires extreme measures. You purse toting girls can keep your expressions about not taking the "law into your own hands" to yourself. The world needs leaders, not followers.  

Feel free to bust my chops, I really don't give a crap about how you queers feel. Oh, and by the way Obama can kiss my REDNECK butt. It's located right next to my assault weapons, the same ones that the constitution allows me to own.

Yours truly,

Dana A. Steiner

(Proud American)

Jon Sessler said:

Steiner?..................Steiner?.........................Steiner?.......................Steiner?

Awaiting your response - 

Problem is, that Bruce doesn't make the call....an administrative Judge will, and if he determines the intent is that each permit is an application, they will charge the $70/per. 

Another question, what exactly are we getting for the $70.00? Answer is absolutely NOTHING!

Keep voting Democrat people and you can expect more, and more of this.

Anyone ever been checked for a tournament permit? I have not in the dozen or so I have personally put on, or even heard of it in the hundreds of tournaments I've been involved in. I wonder what the fine is for hosting a "tournament" without a permit and how one would enforce that it is indeed a tournament not just a large group of guys fishing the same body of water? Fish could be weighed, some guys would have more weight than others, nobody is deemed a "winner" and prizes wouldn't be awarded on site. I guess the only gotcha would be having bass in your livewell that are over the slot limit, but of course that would be assuming there is WDFW enforcement on the water which by the sounds of it they aren't looking to make any pushes on increased hiring or resources towards enforcement! Besides, i have only been checked once in my lifetime which was at lake sammamish where they asked to see my license, nothing else.   

As everyone else has said this will cripple the club I belong to (WBA) when we factor in the charitable events we fund along with hall rental for our meetings. I think the "right" thing to do would be PJ's idea of joining clubs together to go in on tournament permits. This idea was forward thinking and props to PJ for that. BUT what is keeping a club that may have 10-15 boats on a given body of water at a time from just disregarding this "Tournament Permit" all together? No additional enforcement of people who are raping our lakes and making bass stew, and no additional added benefits to obtaining a permit in the form of park improvements, what is the reasoning for following this new rule. 

I used to think the $24 fee was stupid, but was a small enough amount to where it didn't matter. Bump that up 4 times and now it's certainly ridiculous and means for chancing it with no permit.

P.S. I've said it before and I'm sure it will come up again: Steiner/Sessler 2016!!!

Jordan Doucet said:

Anyone ever been checked for a tournament permit? I have not in the dozen or so I have personally put on, or even heard of it in the hundreds of tournaments I've been involved in. I wonder what the fine is for hosting a "tournament" without a permit and how one would enforce that it is indeed a tournament not just a large group of guys fishing the same body of water? Fish could be weighed, some guys would have more weight than others, nobody is deemed a "winner" and prizes wouldn't be awarded on site. I guess the only gotcha would be having bass in your livewell that are over the slot limit, but of course that would be assuming there is WDFW enforcement on the water which by the sounds of it they aren't looking to make any pushes on increased hiring or resources towards enforcement! Besides, i have only been checked once in my lifetime which was at lake sammamish where they asked to see my license, nothing else.   

As everyone else has said this will cripple the club I belong to (WBA) when we factor in the charitable events we fund along with hall rental for our meetings. I think the "right" thing to do would be PJ's idea of joining clubs together to go in on tournament permits. This idea was forward thinking and props to PJ for that. BUT what is keeping a club that may have 10-15 boats on a given body of water at a time from just disregarding this "Tournament Permit" all together? No additional enforcement of people who are raping our lakes and making bass stew, and no additional added benefits to obtaining a permit in the form of park improvements, what is the reasoning for following this new rule. 

I used to think the $24 fee was stupid, but was a small enough amount to where it didn't matter. Bump that up 4 times and now it's certainly ridiculous and means for chancing it with no permit.

P.S. I've said it before and I'm sure it will come up again: Steiner/Sessler 2016!!!

I tend to agree with you Jordan, don't even apply for a permit, this will show the money grabbing State we, the fishermen and women have had enough, its time to make a stand.

Here is the letter I sent to David Giglio on this matter, and his reply, it seems to be a done deal having been voted by the legislature in 2011 with apparently no public notice or hearings.... Notice there is no answer to my questions on due process and transparency?  I urge all clubs to contact their state representatives...

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

David Giglio,  

I am the Vice President / Tournament Director of the Washington State Bass Federation. I am writing today in reference to the increase in fees associated with fishing contest permits in RCW 77.65.480. My current understanding is that the added $70 application fee is scheduled to be collected beginning on March 1, 2013. I have several issues with both the amount of this fee, and the total lack of transparent due process in its establishment.    First off I am personally offended to have NEVER been contacted by WDFW staff on this issue, I was not even included in the email from Bruce Baker regarding the implementation of this fee. Although I am sure it was just a clerical error on his part I should have been included as a current as well as previous contest permit holder. As one of the largest angler sportsman's groups in the state, our officers clearly should have been informed. At what point was this fee increase proposed? When and where was there any chance for public input? I attended meetings regarding proposed WDFW rule changes at the Mill Creek office and this was never mentioned. The only information the bass fishing community ever received on this proposal was from Bruce Baker that we could expect to see a processing fee of $70 per set of applications submitted, which we all accepted as an increase we could live with. However it is now not clear if that was a true misunderstanding or if we were led to believe that by your staff so you could impose your will with no resistance.    I am curious as to what the goal of this fee is? Are we to expect a greater level of service? Are these funds to be used to enhance our fisheries? Is this just a tax for the general fund? As anglers we already pay our licensing fees, Discover Pass fees, Parks fees on our vehicles and boats, gas tax, launch fees etc... In these tough economic time is it wise to ask for even more? Is it your intent to decrease participation in angling activities by continuing to increase our costs?    For the typical bass club this new fee represents a nearly 300% increase in permit fees! How are small clubs supposed to make up the difference in what they already have budgeted? Again I ask if your goal is to decrease participation, which would actually cost you revenue? How many small clubs may choose to fish without permits?    I suggest that this fee be postponed, or at least only enacted on a per submission basis, as we were led to believe was the intent. Then let the public know when and where we can at least participate in a transparent process on a new proposal.

Keith Brooks

V.P. / Tournament Director Washington State Bass Federation

www.wabass.org

bassakwrdz@gmail.com

425-314-4114

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Good afternoon, Keith,

Thank you for writing us about the application fees for field trials, fish stocking and fishing contests.  We apologize for the confusion around these new fees.  They were developed as part of the overall license fee increases of 2011, and our communications focused on those license fee changes that affected all hunters and anglers.  We didn’t really communicate much about these more specialized application fees.  I don’t know how you weren’t contacted sooner, as all past permit holders were intended to be contacted.

The context for the application fees is the steady erosion of general fund-state (GF-S) support.  WDFW has lost 50% of its GF-S from 2007 to 2011.  We’ve had to look to ensure all services we provide for the benefit of hunters or anglers are covered by user fees, as there simply is no GF-S to spare. 

We recognize that the timing of the license and application fees was unfortunate – aligning with the recession.  Unfortunately, the choice we faced was to either raise fees to support services, or scale back or discontinue hunting or fishing opportunities. 

We set up $70 application fees for field trials, fish stocking and fishing contests.  The fee is designed to offset the costs of site inspections and the paperwork for field trials and fish stocking.  For fishing contests, there is also paperwork and reporting involved.  We set the fee at $70 for all these applications, treating them all the same. 

However, if we find that the permit processing workload does not match the application fee, we will correct that when we next reopen state law to adjust license fees.  Our goal is to be fair to you, our customers, and we want to know when we get something wrong.  We will be tracking our processing costs and are already considering different ways of structuring the permit fees and application fees to reflect the actual cost of providing the services to you.  If you have suggestions about how to structure the fees, please let us know.

Sincerely,

David Giglio

Assistant Director

Technology and Financial Management

Washington State Department of Fish and Wildlife

(360) 902-8128

Just wondering if there are more contacts to reach out too? Does anyone know the email addresses, or contact #'s or names of who I should talk too or write to in my neck of the woods here In Lacey, WA?  About this threat? It sucks that we have to fight this fight but it can be won!! Or we can change the rules on how we run our events. 

RSS

Blog Posts

Old Farts Tournament on Potholes

Posted by Tom Melowitz on September 7, 2019 at 2:45pm

New Group Added!

Posted by Eric Urstad on April 3, 2019 at 7:38pm

© 2024   Created by Jordan Doucet.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service