Washington Fishing

The Online Source for Washington Fishing Information

Stuart Squires sent me this Sunday while he was out on Lake Washington in Newport Shores. Right after he and his wife posed in front of the sign, the homeowner came out and expressed her case in a not so polite way for the no fishing sign. According to her, all of the residents in Newport are against people fishing in there. Of course Stuart kept his cool, kindly stating she does not own the water he is fishing in as per the norm. I have a hard time believing that all of the residents in there are against fishing, after the reception they had for the NWB tournament there last year with signs, and refreshments for anglers. Wondering if anyone else saw this, and what your thoughts are.

Personally, not my favorite place to fish but something may need to be done about this...

Views: 447

Replies to This Discussion

Here's the RCW 77.15.210
(1) A person is guilty of obstructing the taking of fish, shellfish or wildlife if the person:

(b). Harrasses, intimidates, or interferes with an individual engaged in the lawful taking of fish, shellfish, or wildlife or lawful predator control with the intent of disrupting lawful persuit or taking thereof.

(2) Obstructing the taking of fish, shellfish, or wildlife is a gross misdemeanor punishable by a fine of up to $5000, a year in jail or both.

I carry a copy with me at all times, and have read it more than once to obnoxious homeowners and have encourage homeowners to call the cops if need be to settle any problems. Those always seem to decline after reading the LAW to them.
I try to be courteous and respectful of peoples property and what not, but when a homeowner comes out and starts spouting off BS, I give it right back at them with the rules.

Mark
Rick,

I don't understand the statement you made about your will power. You make it sound like you feel guilty for finding a bunch of good fish and catching them in a tournament. Isn't that the whole idea behind what we do? I say good for you for finding them and catching them. Some of you guys are almost starting to sound like the "guilty" rich.

Russ,

I never quoted you as not caring. I simply stated that avoiding the potential conflict is not the answer to the problem.

Rick at Quest Pro Tackle said:
Allot of great input. Thanks for the RCW I will print and laminate for use.

Like Russ I have also been fishing in there since the early 90's only I had no will power and used it in tounreys. I bring this up because I grew up 10 minutes from Newport this has been going on for 15-20 yrs. They have tried this many times. They have at least 2x I can recall actually had a buoy that said no fishing at the entrance. I am pretty familiar with the do's & don'ts on the water as everyone should be, and in most cases will choose to take the path of least resistance. However there a a few maybe even the majority in Newport that want their privacy realize it may not be because we're fishing it may be just because we exist and we are there in what they feel is there private oasis. That being said be respectful, but when the time comes stand your ground if it is the right thing to do for the cause.
I was in there with my dad a few yrs ago and a homeowner came out to let me know he was upset with me fishing in front of his house and then threw in he felt I was stalking his wife. I was calm for about 30 seconds till he kept going, then to the best of my ability let him know there are round padded rooms for people like you & your wife who is 70. At that moment my dad was trying to calm me down as he had effectively pushed my buttons past the point.
After words being exchanged he noticed I was not leaving, at that point I grabbed every rod I had in the boat and proceeded to fish nothing but in front of his house. Now dad was getting upset with me to leave (he was a little embarrassed) but I was out to make a point. He threatened to call the police and I encouraged him to do so. He did, I did, we waited. An hour later Bellevue police showed up in force 4 police officers. In which case they spoke to the homeowner and then asked me politely if????? I would fish somewhere else, I reminded the officers that I have the right to fish any where in here and at this moment I am choosing to fish here. The officer grinned and then tried to explain this to the homeowner, I could not tell exactly what was said but the homeowner got mad and was yelling at the officer, then stormed inside. Then again the officer much nicer this time asked if it would be OK if I would fish somewhere else to help defuse the situation. The whole time by the way I had a good friend of mine who happened to be the district attorney on the phone who happens to be a die hard hunter and fisherman feeding me what to say and not to say. I moved along after the officer agreed and we discussed fishing in there, the officer mentioned they get many calls from homeowners in there every year, and they hate to respond as they feel it is not their jurisdiction and should be handled by king county on the water. Only if it has potential of violence do they take it more serious.

This is an old problem! not a new one! it's been going on for years, and will be going on for years. Fight the battles you can win, and choose your battles wisely!

I made my point with that homeowner who by the way still lives there, and have never had a problem since.
Classic!

Mike Bess said:
I told him after he made that call to please call Domino's and order me a medium pepperoni pizza because I was f-ing hungry. He didn't know what hit him and left.
I fish Lake Whatcom a lot, and have had experiences ranging from polite conversation to "get off my property." I swear there is an urban legend on that lake that goes something like this: "An angler snagged his lure/hook on our dock, broke off and left it. That weekend, one of our kids/grandkids/friends' kids got the hook in his/her foot when he/she was swimming near/walking on our dock." I've heard of the "25-foot rule," but I think it only runs from the water's edge on the owner's property. I think it's one of those gray areas that people interpret in a way that benefits them. One advantage we have is we're quieter than the ski boats with their stereos blasting, and the jet skiers who sound like a platoon of loggers with chain saws.
In Regards to Newport , I just had lunch this past saturday with a gentleman who has a house in the canals . He lives in one leg and his parents live in the other , We chated about the bass fishing takes place in there each year and how the community feels about it .

As for the bass fishing that takes place , he mentioned that for the most part "bassanglers" are such the early birds that by the time he gets up on a saturday he doesn't see many boats through out the day .The only concern he mentioned was the Noise factor , when guys are talking really loud or yelling @ 7 am in the morning that gets under his skin a little bit .

Next we also talked about how the community feels about us fishing in there , He said honestly the community is about 50/50 split on the residents that care about it and and other half not really too concerned . He went on to say that the biggest problem they encounter are the boats that ignore the "no wake" rule . Now with that being said , I pointed out the tourney guys are told about the rule at our meetings and we follow the rules pretty good IMO . He than went on to say that , its not us the he witness breaking the rules , its mostly just the cruising boaters .
Last , We talked about "Property ownership " and how it relates to the canals . To my surprize , he stated that ONE of the canals are owned by the community, the first one !
He Said that his property line runs about 20 yards out into the middle of the canal , however we are talking about the "land" and not the water .
So basicly as long as boat is not touching any of the park boats or anglers standing on the docks , no rules are being broken ! The second canal is community property and pretty much no different then fishing any docks on the rest of the lake , the typical rules are in place there .

I walked away from the conversation feeling like our future in the canals are somewhat safe . He gentleman likes to watch us catch fish and seem like he would support us bass fishing if it ever became a big topic . However acts of boats the dont follow the no wake policy can mess things up for us down the road .
Overall , if we continue to follow the rules , keep the yelling down , and dont step on anyones dock , we should be just fine !! :-)

Dez "The Rookie"
Are you going to see/talk to him again? If so, ask him about a person walking on a dock to retrieve a hook/lure that is stuck in the middle of the dock due to a wind gust or errant cast.

BigBass Dez said:
In Regards to Newport , I just had lunch this past saturday with a gentleman who has a house in the canals . He lives in one leg and his parents live in the other , We chated about the bass fishing takes place in there each year and how the community feels about it .

As for the bass fishing that takes place , he mentioned that for the most part "bassanglers" are such the early birds that by the time he gets up on a saturday he doesn't see many boats through out the day .The only concern he mentioned was the Noise factor , when guys are talking really loud or yelling @ 7 am in the morning that gets under his skin a little bit .

Next we also talked about how the community feels about us fishing in there , He said honestly the community is about 50/50 split on the residents that care about it and and other half not really too concerned . He went on to say that the biggest problem they encounter are the boats that ignore the "no wake" rule . Now with that being said , I pointed out the tourney guys are told about the rule at our meetings and we follow the rules pretty good IMO . He than went on to say that , its not us the he witness breaking the rules , its mostly just the cruising boaters .
Last , We talked about "Property ownership " and how it relates to the canals . To my surprize , he stated that ONE of the canals are owned by the community, the first one !
He Said that his property line runs about 20 yards out into the middle of the canal , however we are talking about the "land" and not the water .
So basicly as long as boat is not touching any of the park boats or anglers standing on the docks , no rules are being broken ! The second canal is community property and pretty much no different then fishing any docks on the rest of the lake , the typical rules are in place there .

I walked away from the conversation feeling like our future in the canals are somewhat safe . He gentleman likes to watch us catch fish and seem like he would support us bass fishing if it ever became a big topic . However acts of boats the dont follow the no wake policy can mess things up for us down the road .
Overall , if we continue to follow the rules , keep the yelling down , and dont step on anyones dock , we should be just fine !! :-)

Dez "The Rookie"
I couldn't agree with you more Jon. I discovered the canals back in 97-98. Never put it together to fish it more even though I had some good days in there. I have NEVER had a 50 fish day in there. My theory is alot of the same fish tend to move in the canals every year to feed/spawn. When those fish get caught every year, year after year they get pretty smart. It's no different than on LK X on the eastside for LM.

Jon Sessler said:
One thing that I believe is being lost in this discussion is that there is a premise here that tournament fishing and catch and release has damaged the fishery, and the canals in particular.

I don't believe this.......and I don't think someone's memory, should trump the realities of the fishery.

If someone can show me statistical evidence that you "used" to be able to catch 50-100 4lb+ fish back in the '90s, I will stand corrected, until then, I must say the fishing back in the '90s was probably a lot like it is now, and the occasional phenomenal day has tainted the memory. It's a great "Fish Story", I'll give you that.

We need to be careful.......for those that like to fish Newport (I'm not one of them), posting evidence of a severely declining fishery, could prompt WDFW to close the canals, especially at the urging of the homeowners intent on "preserving the resource."
Ask him what Tom? I am assuming you want Dez to ask him if you have the right to retrieve a hook stuck in a dock. We all know the answer to that already. NO, that is private property.

Tom Edwards said:
Are you going to see/talk to him again? If so, ask him about a person walking on a dock to retrieve a hook/lure that is stuck in the middle of the dock due to a wind gust or errant cast.

BigBass Dez said:

Dez "The Rookie"
Josh it was more about when to use it. When you have a great spot be aware once you choose to use it, we'll say a federation tourney know that you will be sharing it in the future.

Josh Potter said:
Rick,

I don't understand the statement you made about your will power. You make it sound like you feel guilty for finding a bunch of good fish and catching them in a tournament. Isn't that the whole idea behind what we do? I say good for you for finding them and catching them. Some of you guys are almost starting to sound like the "guilty" rich.

Russ,

I never quoted you as not caring. I simply stated that avoiding the potential conflict is not the answer to the problem.

Like Russ I have also been fishing in there since the early 90's only I had no will power and used it in tounreys. I bring this up because I grew up 10 minutes from Newport this has been going on for 15-20 yrs. They have tried this many times. They have at least 2x I can recall actually had a buoy that said no fishing at the entrance. I am pretty familiar with the do's & don'ts on the water as everyone should be, and in most cases will choose to take the path of least resistance. However there a a few maybe even the majority in Newport that want their privacy realize it may not be because we're fishing it may be just because we exist and we are there in what they feel is there private oasis. That being said be respectful, but when the time comes stand your ground if it is the right thing to do for the cause.
I was in there with my dad a few yrs ago and a homeowner came out to let me know he was upset with me fishing in front of his house and then threw in he felt I was stalking his wife. I was calm for about 30 seconds till he kept going, then to the best of my ability let him know there are round padded rooms for people like you & your wife who is 70. At that moment my dad was trying to calm me down as he had effectively pushed my buttons past the point.
After words being exchanged he noticed I was not leaving, at that point I grabbed every rod I had in the boat and proceeded to fish nothing but in front of his house. Now dad was getting upset with me to leave (he was a little embarrassed) but I was out to make a point. He threatened to call the police and I encouraged him to do so. He did, I did, we waited. An hour later Bellevue police showed up in force 4 police officers. In which case they spoke to the homeowner and then asked me politely if????? I would fish somewhere else, I reminded the officers that I have the right to fish any where in here and at this moment I am choosing to fish here. The officer grinned and then tried to explain this to the homeowner, I could not tell exactly what was said but the homeowner got mad and was yelling at the officer, then stormed inside. Then again the officer much nicer this time asked if it would be OK if I would fish somewhere else to help defuse the situation. The whole time by the way I had a good friend of mine who happened to be the district attorney on the phone who happens to be a die hard hunter and fisherman feeding me what to say and not to say. I moved along after the officer agreed and we discussed fishing in there, the officer mentioned they get many calls from homeowners in there every year, and they hate to respond as they feel it is not their jurisdiction and should be handled by king county on the water. Only if it has potential of violence do they take it more serious.

This is an old problem! not a new one! it's been going on for years, and will be going on for years. Fight the battles you can win, and choose your battles wisely!

I made my point with that homeowner who by the way still lives there, and have never had a problem since.
Gotcha. The way you wrote it in your original post made it sound like you were catching them in there but felt bad about it.

Josh it was more about when to use it. When you have a great spot be aware once you choose to use it, we'll say a federation tourney know that you will be sharing it in the future.

Josh Potter said:
Rick,

Russ,

But if the dock owner says it is ok, then it is ok. Fairly simple.

Josh Potter said:
Ask him what Tom? I am assuming you want Dez to ask him if you have the right to retrieve a hook stuck in a dock. We all know the answer to that already. NO, that is private property.

Tom Edwards said:

BigBass Dez said:

Dez "The Rookie"
Tom ,

Brother if your lure is not "reachable" by hand or rod , I wouldnt encourage you to step on that dock man !!!

Now think about this , what if one on the owners pets or kids come across your hook ? that would be bad for business !!

My point is that , we as "bassanglers" have a responsibility to make sure that we are not used as an example of reasons to outlaw us from fishing "any" part of the lake , unless the state has already deemed it off limits because of a Bird habitat or close water for beach and safety reasons ..

Dont let use down Tom , I think you are wise enough to know whats right and whats wrong bro !! :-) .. Looking forward to seeing ya out there ! Are you fishing NWBASS on may 15 ?

Josh Potter said:

Tom Edwards said:

BigBass Dez said:

Dez "The Rookie"

RSS

Blog Posts

Old Farts Tournament on Potholes

Posted by Tom Melowitz on September 7, 2019 at 2:45pm

New Group Added!

Posted by Eric Urstad on April 3, 2019 at 7:38pm

© 2024   Created by Jordan Doucet.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service