Washington Fishing

The Online Source for Washington Fishing Information

As we all know, there are some fantastic fishermen on this site. I would like to hear from everyone regarding their techniques, gear, and any tips regarding flipping and pitching

Views: 280

Replies to This Discussion

Certainly there are people with more experience than me on this topic that absolutely whoop on the fish when the flipping game is on (Tag, Ron...), but for me I focus specifically on a few things:
-A quality rod and reel. Not so much for sensitivity, since most of the time the bite is pretty obvious, but for the light weight that you can flip and pitch with all day without fatigue.
- Heavy line. Don't shy away from the big stuff, I run 17-25lb flouro depending on the cover. The last thing you want is to go lighter with your line and break it on a hookset with that heavy action rod.
-Big Hooks. Heavy gauge wire is a must so you don't bend the hook out on a fish when cranking it in with the drag all the way down.

As far as technique, I try to keep the splash to an absolute minimum, and learning to skip your jig under cover with a baitcaster is a must as well. I don't hop the jig or bait too much since I feel like I get most bites on the fall, or when it is deadsticked depending on the situation.

But hell, I'm a smallie kind of guy so what do I know????
Your dead on Jordan. Go big or go home. For me the key to sucessful flipping in the rate of fall of the bait. From day to day, and lake to lake it varies. I let the fish tell me what they want. I usually start slow and work my way to faster falls for the JIG. Also, when the water has been beat on by alot of boats I then switch up to a different bait than the jig.
They other key is being able to read the piece of structure your flipping to. If your running and gunning, then I will flip to the most likely holding spots and move on. If the bite is very tough, then I will pick it apart. Start from the outside and move in.

Mark
Man I was just about to ask something like this Mike - hope you don't mind me adding to the questions.
Brian, 10-12lb for flippin'??? At the Delta? Brave man!

Any reason why you guys who do are using heavy mono or floro over braid with all the vegetation you are dropping into? (I'm guessing wood but hopefully someone will surprise me)

Also, just HOW important is this "quiet entry" business? A bit of swimbait fishing has me wondering if that is overrated, but I don't well know how it applies to deep buried cover that one would likely encounter flipping.
Seung,

I think the quiet entry is a big deal for a jig because you are typically throwing the jig at the most likely spot a bass lives and as I mentioned before you get bit alot on the fall. Swimbait fishing you usually throw past the structure (point, wood etc...) and bring it back to the fish. How many times do you get bit on a swimmer as soon as it hits the water??? This happens alot with a jig.

Just my 2 cents.
More times than i wish cuz I miss most of those by not being ready haha.
hahaha got me there Ron.. its a bird dropping in the water! Your jig is closer to that size than most craws i see.
hahaha got me there Ron.. its a bird dropping in the water! Your jig is closer to that size than most craws i see.

I really gotta work on my silent entry, pitching is def not my strong point.
guys,

You are all touching on fairly basic entry level techniques that guys can see on cable tv every weekend morning. Most advanced anglers know that pounding at the brush with 25lb test is "hack fishing" at best. If you have to use line that heavy you probably should stay out on the weedline where you can work on basic rod/reel mechanics.
I think Mike was hoping to get more in depth advanced applications.... far from what some of you are describing.

Lloyd
Great tips and responses thus far.

For all my flipping and pitching I prefer a high speed reel with a 6.3:1 or 7.0:1 gear ratio for the quick line recovery.

I use several different rods for a variety of pitching/flipping set ups.

For finesse flipping/pitching applications I use the following:

Lamiglas EXC703, EXC705 or EXC724 with 15 lb. fluorocarbon line. I am typically using finesse jigs in 1/4 oz, 5/16 oz., 3/8 oz. and 7/16 oz. sizes or light Texas Rigged plastics with this set up. I reserve finesse flipping for post front, clear water, pressured fish and other finicky fish scenarios. This is a great method to try when your jig bite goes south.

My every day set up for jigs/plastics if I am predominately pitching is:

G-Loomis BCFR894 - 7'5" w/ 20# to 25# fluorocarbon

If I am predominately flipping I will use the G-Loomis BCFR954 which is a 7'11" rod.

90% of the rods I own and fish are Lamiglas. However, the G-Loomis GLX flipping stick with the titanium guides is the lightest flipping stick I have used which greatly reduces fatigue while flipping and pitching all day. Truly an impressive rod.

For flipping heavy vegetation I like the following set up:

Lamiglas XFT766 or XFT806 and 50 lb. or 65 lb. braid. With this set up I am using a sinker stopper, a 3/4 oz. to 1-1/2 oz. tungsten weight, a Reaction Innovations BMF hook tied on with a snell knot and a variety of soft plastics.

In my opinion, one of the biggest keys to success while pitching/flipping is keeping noise to a bare minimum. Almost every single person I fish with, when they are operating the trolling motor, has the speed up much too high and pushes the pedal intermittently. They are putting big fish on alert well before they are within pitching and flipping range. Whenever possible, keep your trolling motor on a low constant speed and use the utmost stealth. Boat control is another important factor in flipping/pitching success. Working into the wind when necessary, letting the wind slowly drift you along if the breeze is light, lining up for optimum angles to both present a bait properly and get the fish out of the cover are all examples of things to take into account. An angler will still catch fish with excessive trolling motor noise and sloppy boat control, but I can promise you that angler will catch very few big fish compared to an angler who is conscious of all these things.

Work on developing pinpoint accuracy and presenting your bait softly. Some days you will have a better touch than others. It is like shooting in basketball. Some days you can't miss and other days it is more difficult to find your groove. I find that flipping/pitching is very similar but practice will help build consistency.

Last but not least, when that big fish bites, set the hook very very delicately....just ease it into her. You wouldn't want to break one of those expensive flipping sticks.
now we are getting the goods.....Ron and Tag great info. Now if we can get some words from my new friend Eric.
Great post Tag! I thought this was by far the most crucial point...LOL! This ranks right up there with how much the big Whatcom smallies like dropshots...right!? ;)

Tag Watson said:
\Last but not least, when that big fish bites, set the hook very very delicately....just ease it into her. You wouldn't want to break one of those expensive flipping sticks.
I am not the person to ask for info on this as I am a pitching/flipping novice and have way more experience fishing open water smallmouth. So far I have been able to get by pitching jigs and plastics on a 7' M/H rod with 12 lb. fluorocarbon. I have a couple 7'9 Lamiglas rods I got this year that I have spooled with 15 lb. fluorocarbon. They have worked out for me. In Washington I have found little need (so far ) to go heavier than 15 lb. line. I think it is one of those mental hurdles for me that I need to get over though! I think heavy line (especially fluorocarbon) spooks me way before the fish.

RSS

Blog Posts

Old Farts Tournament on Potholes

Posted by Tom Melowitz on September 7, 2019 at 2:45pm

New Group Added!

Posted by Eric Urstad on April 3, 2019 at 7:38pm

© 2024   Created by Jordan Doucet.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service