Washington Fishing

The Online Source for Washington Fishing Information

What are the reliable responses to basic changes in conditions?

I'm wondering what makes bass suspend, what triggers feeding, what makes the fishing tough, what pulls fish from cover, what has fish move toward breaklines.

What do fish do when its sunny vs cloudy. Calm vs windy. High pressure vs low, moon phase, current vs no current, rising water vs falling water, right before a front vs right after, etc...

I saw first hand last year how falling water pulls largemouth away from cover and kills the bite. Falling water during a major spawn will pull them off beds and they are very hard to catch.

Rising water pushes largemouth up into cover and they get hungry.

What have you seen as a reliable, predictable, repeated response to any certain condition? And im not asking for an in-fisherman regurgitation. What have you repeatedly observed? Basic or complex.

Views: 2136

Replies to This Discussion

If wind is pushing up against a bank near a spawning flat during pre-spawn... you should prob make a few casts toward said bank

"What have you seen as a reliable, predictable, repeated response to any certain condition?"

Nothing.

Jake what does any of this have to do Joining braid to FC leaders homie :)

Snake I had all the same questions and have posted them on here and never really had my questions answered...until I found the book "In Pursuit of Giant Bass" by Bill Murphy...if you can find it buy it and read it...lots of great info on big bass behavior! Hope it helps
You guys are assholes. All i ask for is a simple cook book for 25lb bags in any situation, and what do I get? A Sh:t burger smothered in retard sauce.

My exact observation as well, Don! 

Don Hogue said:

"What have you seen as a reliable, predictable, repeated response to any certain condition?"

Nothing.

Tag/Don,

Im going to challenge you both on this.

If nothing was repeatable, reliable, and predictable, then the names at the top of leaderboards would be different every week.

Why do guys pick up a spinnerbait on windy days?

Why was I alone all day in villards beating my head against a wall in an ABA event last year when the water was dropping like a rock?

You'll notice I didnt use the word "always" in my post, as absolutes do not exist.

Seriously, we all want to reduce fishing to a 1+1=2 exercise, but it should be obvious to us that it is far from it. If it was that easy, we would all be successful every time out. If it was that easy, the most experienced, oldest fishermen would have the most success.

Being able to put all those variables together and make some sense of it during a given day or short time frame on the water is the key IMO. Trying to hold those things up as some universal truth that exists from season to season is what gets us in trouble. The only thing I know for sure is that what worked in '09 and '12 won't work in '13. I've had good and bad days under nearly every moon, current, weather, water level condition that there is. I have lots of little theories, just like everyone else that don't amount to much more than my own collection of ol wives tales.

One of the best things about tournament fishing is that whatever jacked up reason you have for why the fish won't bite, somebody always comes in and proves you wrong! If you don't experience that it's easy to write off your day because of the moon, weather, current, etc.

One of the best pieces of advice I ever got was from my dad. After a long day of tournament fishing we were standing around the weigh-in and he asked how my day went. I told him it was "bad fishing day" along with all the reasons (excuses) why. About that time, somebody comes in with a monster bag. After they weigh, he turns to me and says "no such thing as a bad fishing day...just bad fishermen!"

While Bill Murphy's book is a very good read and arguably a must-have, in no way will it replace the on-the-water trial and error required each time you get out.  While some of the principles absolutely can apply for Northern Strain fish in the volatile weather of the Pacific Northwest, it's important to keep in mind that Bill Murphy was targeting Florida strain (many pure at the time) bass in the deep, clear reservoirs of Southern California.  A bass is a bass to some extent, but having personally fished San Vicente and Otay in San Diego, as well as pure Florida strain fish in Florida and Mexico, I'm not convinced it's completely apples to apples.  Marc Marcantonio could speak to this much better than me, and may even disagree with my assessment.  Good dialogue nonetheless.  Still highly recommend the book.       

Joel Alinen said:

Snake I had all the same questions and have posted them on here and never really had my questions answered...until I found the book "In Pursuit of Giant Bass" by Bill Murphy...if you can find it buy it and read it...lots of great info on big bass behavior! Hope it helps

Jake "The Snake" Anderson said:
Tag/Don,

Im going to challenge you both on this.

If nothing was repeatable, reliable, and predictable, then the names at the top of leaderboards would be different every week.

Why do guys pick up a spinnerbait on windy days?

Why was I alone all day in villards beating my head against a wall in an ABA event last year when the water was dropping like a rock?

You'll notice I didnt use the word "always" in my post, as absolutes do not exist.

I think names consistently at the top of the leaderboard are the least beholden to some simple explanation of fish behavior and have resigned themselves to the obvious...somebody is gonna get the 5 biggest fish today. There is nothing for "best effort, but the moon, or water level was bad" I think you are mistaking our answers or lack thereof for "everything is random". Far from it. I don't think bass do random things, but I also don't think they all do the same things at the same times under the same conditions. There's a big difference in those two trains of thought. That same day that you struggled to catch LM in falling water another team might have caught three LM over 5lbs. So should they deduce that falling water is the key? What if I told you those 3 came from shallow water, that was falling? What would you recommend to those guys when the water is coming up?

I would recommend that in rising water they shouldn't leave to go catch a couple smallmouth resulting in the compromise of a measly 25lb bag.  Rather they stay, and catch a 30lb bag of green.  I don't know....  The crazy guys that caught those fish would have to tell me exactly where they were catching them.  I might have some theories based on falling water in conjunction with spawning phases.  Or i might conclude that alot of fish follow a certain narrative, but maybe the ones that don't are hidden by the distraction of their lock-jawed cruising counterparts.

I understand what you are saying Don.  Adjustments on the water in conjunction with an open mind rule the day. Not only that but the excuses for why they weren't biting only work for the fish you were fishing for, and not the ones that you weren't or the ways you weren't.  

Yet you agree that you have your own wives tales that serve as a framework of your initial thought process, and you go from there without mental limitation.

When I watch tournaments on TV, or shows like Hook N' Look, it seems there is a lot a "frameworks" being followed.  

I fully understand your points, and I think they supersede the topic.  But I still am interested in everyone's wives tales!  

Cast toward shore.

If that does not work, turn around and cast toward the middle.

It's worked for me thus far.

MW

RSS

Blog Posts

Old Farts Tournament on Potholes

Posted by Tom Melowitz on September 7, 2019 at 2:45pm

New Group Added!

Posted by Eric Urstad on April 3, 2019 at 7:38pm

© 2024   Created by Jordan Doucet.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service