Washington Fishing

The Online Source for Washington Fishing Information

Several years ago while fishing a B.A.S.S. event in the Tri Cities I drew Ron Mace.  At that time he was running a Bullet boat and as we completed our run to the Snake I asked him "How fast were we going"?  I think he said in the low 90's.  I know Bass fishermen are proud of their boats and performance. I thought it would be interesting to hear what everyone is running, set up, and performance.

Views: 2136

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies to This Discussion

ya ya everybodys boat goes over 70 but I pass a lot of people with my boat going only 69-70. Whats up with that?
The New Legend Alpha 199 w/ 225 Optimax (NOT ProXS) was doing 69.5 at Banks this weekend with a tourney load. So i'm guessing I am going to hit 73 on the Westside, usually at Banks its a drop of 2-4 mph. I am running a 25P Fury and I have not measured below pad yet, but I am getting 25 PSI and turning about 5700 RPMS. A little more tweaking to go, but she is getting close.

Joel, most peoples #'s are in ideal conditions. Some boats can't go that fast when there is 2'-3' chop on the water, Rough water boats such as similar to yours and mine can usually go faster in the the rough stuff and keep from kidney ruptures. I saw this example this weekend on Banks Lake, White caps I can run 64 mph, boat completely level and sawing through waves.
Maybe you are going faster than them?

Joel Booth said:
ya ya everybodys boat goes over 70 but I pass a lot of people with my boat going only 69-70. Whats up with that?
Maybe but I'm sure there is some other explanation for it.

Mike Bess said:

Joel Booth said:
I dont know yet, I will let you know!

Buck Brunner said:
Ron,
Thanks for the info. I love the looks of the Triton X series and had hoped to trade towards a 21x2 demo this year, or one of those 20i Class demos, but just can't swing it right now. Hopefully next year.

How do you like the X2 vs X3 series hulls?

I have played around with raising/lowering the jackplate and found the best spot is right where it was set when I bought the boat new, so leaving it there.

Ronald Hobbs, Jr. said:
Buck I have the 20X-2 Triton and it does 70 without a quiver in chop. It rides the smoothest and is the easiest to drive Triton or any boat for that matter that goes over 70mph in rough water IMO. If you are looking for a good smooth ride and great handling this hull is for you. I have had it at 75 mph without having to worry about the chine walk you get out of the older TR series boats.

Buck Brunner said:
2007 Triton TR196 with 2007 200HP Optimax.
Tempest 25 prop, full tourney load and full fuel tank, no passenger, I have hit 65MPH on Lake Sammamish in January.

Guessing smoother water and cold, dense air on Sammamish helped.

However, at 65MPH GPS, the ride was a bit scary... chine walk, constant trim, steering, and smooth touch on the hotfoot.

I'm still learning to drive, so take that into consideration.

One question I have is...

Is there a 21 foot bass boat out there that will carry a full tournament load, full fuel tank, with fishing partner, and comfortably do 70 MPH in slightly choppy water? Does such a boat exist, and what is it?

I hit a 4 foot wake doing about 55 GPS on Lake Wa last year, and after pulling the prop out of water, and then slamming back down at a complete stop, I thought I had broken something in my body... very scary experience.

I've heard talk of full tournament loads in Skeeters and Rangers doing 70 MPH plus in chop without so much as a twitch, even hands off steering wheel.

Are these stories true, or just wishful thinking?

Thanks for any input!
Most guys are talking top speeds that they have had in their boats. I know what my boat is capable of and how fast it was before I dingged my prop to hell or ran the cup off it at potholes by running through to much sand. My boat is now a good 4 to 6 MPH slower. Atleast I know if I was to fix my prop I would get the speed out of the boat once again.

Joel Booth said:
Maybe but I'm sure there is some other explanation for it.

Mike Bess said:

Joel Booth said:
Just ran the 721 Phoenix on Lake WA set 3-1/2 below the pad and got 74 with two guys and tourney load at 5300 RPM. Looks like we will be raising the motor another 1/2 inch to see what she will do.

Phil thanks for coming along on the maiden voyage in the Mythical Phoenix.
That is really fast. You should have ran it empty with one guy in it so we would know how fast it's ultimate top speed is. Probably over 80?

Russ Baker said:
Just ran the 721 Phoenix on Lake WA set 3-1/2 below the pad and got 74 with two guys and tourney load at 5300 RPM. Looks like we will be raising the motor another 1/2 inch to see what she will do.

Phil,

Thats right the speedo we discovered was off compared to the GPS.

Phil Mehrtens said:
I think it was a little faster than 74 the gps said 77!

Russ Baker said:

Thats what I want to know too.

Brian Reimers said:
Russ what's the max RPMs for that motor?
rpm range = 5,000 - 6,000

http://www.yamaha-motor.ca/products/products.php?model=3524&sec...

an article;

http://www.bassfan.com/reviews_article.asp?id=167

Chris Blandi said:

Brian Reimers said:
If the rpm range goes up to 6,000, then THAT is the max rpm, I would think.

Brian Reimers said:
Tom,
the question was. Russ what's the max rpms for that motor! not the rpm range.

Tom Edwards said:
rpm range = 5,000 - 6,000

http://www.yamaha-motor.ca/products/products.php?model=3524&sec...

an article;

http://www.bassfan.com/reviews_article.asp?id=167

Chris Blandi said:

Brian Reimers said:

RSS

Blog Posts

Old Farts Tournament on Potholes

Posted by Tom Melowitz on September 7, 2019 at 2:45pm

New Group Added!

Posted by Eric Urstad on April 3, 2019 at 7:38pm

© 2024   Created by Jordan Doucet.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service