Washington Fishing

The Online Source for Washington Fishing Information

Borderline Bassin Contenders will be holding their annual Lake Whatcom Spring Open on Saturday April 30th, 2011.  Driver's meeting will be at 5:45 AM sharp and blast off will be at safe light.  Please try to be registered with your boat inspected prior to the driver's meeting.  I will be in the upper portion of the parking lot at Bloedel Donovan Park at 5 AM accepting entry forms and doing boat inspections as people drive in.  I figure this should make things run smoothly. Entry fee is $100 per team plus $20 big fish.  Entry fee is paid back 80% and big fish 100%.  Payout is 40% to 1st, 35% to 2nd, and 25% to 3rd.  We can have a vote at the driver's meeting to see if people would rather have weigh in at 3 or 4 PM.  I have attached the entry form and rules to this thread.  If you would like to mail your entry in early, PM me and I can provide you with my address.  There have not been any issues yet with people just showing up on tourney morning with their entry forms.  Also, please try to bring your own signed entry form to the tournament if at all possible.  I will bring extras but hardly anyone brought their own last year and I used every last spare form I brought.  If you have any questions, shoot me a PM.  As it is every year, this tournament should be a blast and the fishing should be excellent!  Hope to see all of you that can make it there!

Clarification on issues that have come up in the past, these will be handled at my discretion: 

1)  Each team will be allowed one re weigh.  If you choose to re weigh, you must take your second weight regardless of what it turns out to be.

2) Carbureted two stroke outboards are not allowed on Lake Whatcom.  You are allowed to have one on your boat and only run your trolling motor however.  Therefore, Borderline will not tell someone whether or not they can fish based on their outboard.  Also, it is impossible for me personally to watch everyone so I will not take any protests involving people saying someone was running an illegal outboard.  However, if you do run a carbureted two stroke motor, you are subject to being written a ticket.  There was no one on the lake enforcing this law last year but I cannot gaurantee this will be the case again this year.  I haven't heard any news on whether they will be enforcing this law this year.  If you do run a carbureted two stroke motor, understand that you are doing so AT YOUR OWN RISK.  Borderline will not assume any responsibility if you are written a ticket.

3) Off limits - This lake is closed to fishing until the day of the tournament.  Boats can be run on the lake while it is closed to fishing but you are NOT allowed to have a boat on the lake within 5 days prior to this tournament if you wish to compete in it.

Views: 184

Attachments:

Replies to This Discussion

When I say safe light, I mean safer than the fall open ;)

FYI on Motor Regs:

January 1, 2009—The operation of all carbureted two-stroke engine powered watercraft on Lake Whatcom is prohibited, except: Watercraft powered by a two-stroke engine that is certified and labeled as meeting the 2006 or later model year US EPA emissions standards, auxiliary sailboat engines, 10 horsepower or less engines, and all electronic fuel injected two-stroke engines originally purchased before August 2004.

Will tag be attending the boaters meeting providing us with instructional handbooks and advising anglers of the best spots and lures to use for this event ?

The way i see it , this will only increase participation imo !! If i see him step it into someones boat , David you better have some protest forms available .. lol  

Looking forward to a fun day in B-town :-)  

That seems like an awful long drive from sign ups to the boat launch.
Haha! Wow! That was quite the typo! I proofread this a few times and still missed that!  Gene Coulon, Bloedel Donovan, what's the difference!?

Aaron Christel said:
90 miles?  Sounds like fun, and I love Watcom.  Might be a maybe.

David Parnicky said:
Haha! Wow! That was quite the typo! I proofread this a few times and still missed that!  Gene Coulon, Bloedel Donovan, what's the difference!?

Aaron Christel said:
Did I read correctly that there's only 25 boats allowed? And if so, is it a- get in line, and first 25 to get inspected and registered are in?

Hi John,

We have a board meeting on Tuesday, I will bring this up and find out the details for you.  You can always mail the entry form in advance to me and this will gaurantee that you are in.  We have never yet had 25 boats at a spring open that I have seen.  This is why I haven't really been too concerned with pressing the issue of mailing entry forms in advance.  As far as people that show up, it will be first come first served.  I would hate to turn someone away that made the trek out though so let me double check that we are still enforcing the 25 boat rule. If it is for legal reasons, I will enforce it, but I would probably bend the rule otherwise if we had a 26th boat show up that really wanted to fish.  Some people might not like that since it is in the rules but this isn't the Bassmaster Classic and it should be more about everyone that decides to show up having a fun day on the lake in my eyes.  Last year was my first year running this tournament so I am relatively new to it.  Bear with me as I work some of these details out and I will do everything possible to make this tournament an enjoyable experience for everone that decides to show up!  I think once I can figure out the 25 boat rule and find a way to get plaques for the top finishers, I will feel very confident that this years even will be a great one! 

Also, if it helps, if we are enforcing the 25 boat rule, I will keep a status update on here as to how many entries I have recieved so you have an idea as to how many empty spots are left.

I hope this helps and hope to see you there!

John Mark Minica said:

Did I read correctly that there's only 25 boats allowed? And if so, is it a- get in line, and first 25 to get inspected and registered are in?
I revised the regulations and replaced them on here.  I removed the 25 boat limit.  I brought this up at our board meeting on Tuesday night and everyone was fine with having more than 25 boats.  I am pretty sure there will not be 25 boats though regardless.  Anyone that wants to fish this will be able to show up on the morning of the tournament and get in.
Joel and I will be there! Living on the edge...
Living on the edge  ~   i caught that  Pj ..lol !!

P.J. Koshi said:
Joel and I will be there! Living on the edge...
The day is almsot here!! Just a reminder, drivers meeting at 5:45 AM followed by blast off shortly after.  I will be at Bloedel accepting entry forms at 5 AM.  Please find me and sign up in near the entrance to the parking lot before driving down to the boat launch area.  Like the fall open, I plan on going to Bob's Burgers in Barkley Village by Haggen in Bellingham after the tournament is over.  They have very good burgers and an excellent beer selection on tap if people are interested in meeting there after the tournament.  If I am lucky enough to do well, I will buy everyone that shows up at Bob's a round.  See you all Saturday morning!!   

RSS

Blog Posts

Old Farts Tournament on Potholes

Posted by Tom Melowitz on September 7, 2019 at 2:45pm

New Group Added!

Posted by Eric Urstad on April 3, 2019 at 7:38pm

© 2024   Created by Jordan Doucet.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service