Washington Fishing

The Online Source for Washington Fishing Information

While everyone involved in the preparation of this tournament series goes above and beyond, what they can't control is participation.  To say that I was extremely disappointed in the number of teams at yesterday event is an understatement.  44 teams participated when this event typically draws a minimum of 60-70.  I do want to thank the teams who fished yesterday, especially those from Oregon, Idaho, and the eastside of our state.  Correct me if I am wrong, but there may have been more teams from outside the local area who fished yesterday.  That is embarrassing considering I can think of at least 15 local teams that were not there.  Thank you Ron and Mike for saving face for us westsiders and sacking the biggest LK WA bag I have ever seen with 23lbs that included a 7lb sow.  It's too bad that only 44 teams showed up to see it......

As a bass fishing community we have to support those who sponsor these events, and the same goes for those who work very hard to bring us NW Bass.  I'm not sure we all understand what it means to have NW Bass here in Washington.  It would be interesting to see everything that goes in to setting one of these events up and how much it costs.  Look what happened to the ABA series.  My first tournament was on Lk WA 15 years ago.  It was an ABA event and there were 80 something teams.  Now they are lucky to draw 20 teams to an event.  My opinion is if it were me and I had another turnout like this next year, I wouldn't be back.... 

Views: 2109

Replies to This Discussion

I agree 100%  I think last year there was only something like 60-65 teams, which for a NW Bass tournament is even low.  I wouldn't be surprised if we do not have a Lake Washington tournament next year.  Quite frankly, it wouldn't disappoint me if Gary just skipped Lk. Washington and kept Couer d' Alene as a normal stop.  I live on the west side, so Washington is closer for me, I just can't stand Coulon on a nice day.  Too many A-holes trying to load and launch boats.  It can be a nightmare.  I just felt bad for Gary because of the hard work he and Lisa do to make a tournament possible.  Next week will see the same low turnouts for all 3 of the big tournaments going on.  To many tournaments and not enough anglers. 

I agree that the local anglers need to step it up. This is your home lake step up and represent. You always hears us coasties complain about that there is only one event on the west side and we are doing all the travel. And then the one event here you don't even fish. Stop complaining! With turnouts like this where there were more eastside guys than west side guys why should they host an event here. I also agree that there are way too many little clubs that are eating up permits for events. I just hope that if and Gary and Lisa decide to come back next year that you take the time to fish this event. Congrats to Mike and Ron that's 2 years in a row.

I would describe my feelings as more shocked than anything. I thought turnout would be lower than any of the 5 years I have fished it simply due to the fact participation has declined at all events. I understand why participation is down and it has been talked about to exhaustion. Some guys have more important things to do right now; I get it.

However, a 44 boat turnout in a city of millions that supposedly has some pretty hard core bass fishermen is a JOKE! I have driven over the pass and donated my money on your home court since the first year I fished when I had no business even fishing. Some may argue that I still don't have any business fishing but that's another discussion. I drove more hours than I fished, paid 20$ to launch and dealt with all the same traffic everybody else did. The park is too busy and people are rude. Are you serious? I thought bass fishermen were tough guys? I'm not hammering on you WCCT. I have heard that same thing from almost all competitors including some of my panzie ass buddies. I hate the traffic and freaks as well. It's exactly why I live where I live and not anywhere near Seattle. For me a few minutes or an hour of inconvenience is worth 9 hours of tournament fishing awesomness. If I were a tournament director and heard one more complaint about the schedule I would tell that complainer to piss up a rope. That event is held specifically for YOU and YOU don't even show up for it. Not to mention you all missed an great day of fishing and spectacular weather.

Ron and Mike have the biggest beef of all. They win the event and don't even get the incentive because the field isn't full. That is a shame! The incentive money is almost 3 times the value of the purse.

I agree Josh, I was shocked by the poor turnout. I hate Lake Washington with a passion but I will support NWB whenever I possibly can no questions asked. We are fortunate to have such a strong circuit and if Gary would let us weigh squaw fish at Lake Washington , Wcct and I would be contenders!

My concern is that the underlying problem is that there are too many groups competing from a limited angler pool. While it is cool to fish new places and events, in my opinion nobody does it as well as NWB and I hope everyone realizes that if boat counts drop so will sponsor interest and participation.

That really sucks about the incentive money, but congrats to Ron and Mike for getting it done.

Congratulations to Mike and Ron on an awesome bag, and especially for the Mama Pesce that Mike Wolsky nailed.  You never forget getting a bass over 7lbs during a tournament, especially in Washington State.

Thanks to those who supported Northwest Bass, and fished the Lake Washington event. I guess I don't know all of the west side teams these days, as I thought most of the regulars did actually participate.

And I especially want to thank Gary and Lisa Stiles, and Jeff Priester/Nixons Marine, and all the other sponsors of the Northwest Bass circuit for holding the event.  I know it is a PITA to hold this event, but I think it serves an important reason for being included in the schedule.  It makes the AOY standings more valid than having only eastside events. 

Having fished tournaments for more than 40 years now, all over the country, you begin to see patterns repeat themselves over an over.  The proliferation of tournaments, the limit on number of permits per organization (don't even get me started about this sore subject) and competition for anglers' time and money has been a problem everywhere and for many years.

As an angler, I suspect the biggest reason for the poor turnout was the additioin of CDL, combined with the addition of the throw out of one tournament for AOY, and combined with the cost of gasoline and fishing tournaments in general.  Let's face it, Lake Washington is a tough lake, especially if you live too far away to prefish it and learn it (like Banks Lake is for me).   I suspect CDL turnout will also be low compared to other events.  Don't get me wrong, I applaud Northwest Bass for offering new venues, and I welcome them.  I am betting having 3 major events 3 weekends in a row (in conjunction with Mother's Day) also hurt.  That is a lot of time away from the family and home chores for those who normally fish these events, and I would suggest trying to space them further (this is where getting limited permit opportunities hurts, I realize). I know that a lot of competitors cherry-pick their events when their money is on the line.  Unless the AOY pot is the big prize, and all events count toward the AOY title, then I believe anglers will continue to cherry-pick.

And we as anglers have to reap what we have sowed.  I fish both ABA circuits (many by myself) and Northwest Bass to support the events so they will continue.  I am grateful they exist, so I support them.  They will disappear if they are not supported, as history has proven around the country.  There is NOT much profit in them, and they only exist because of the dedication of the tournament organizations.

To lose a circuit like Northwest Bass due to lack of participation would be a real shame, and the anglers have nobody to blame but themselves for not supporting the circuit.  I sure hope it does not come to this!

ciao,

Marc Marcantonio

On the bright side did anyone notice the payout change for Northwest Bass? We won close to $5K with only 44 boats that is really good. 

I can name a bunch of guys who did not fish this tourney that would normally fish it and have legitimate shots at taking 2nd, LOL.  But the one that squawks the most who supposedly owns the lake was a no show.  Big Bass Dez where were you? Here are a few more guys that I will add to the list of potentials I have no problem calling them out because it is out of my respect for them as good anglers, except Dez, seriously I hope he never pipes up about Lake Washington again. No excuses!

Where were You:

Lowe/Librande

Doucet ( atleast C. Rider fished)

Harvy Leonard (lake washington legend)

Straughsbaugh ( Hawg Hunter great stick)

Kenny G.

Marchese's

Eckstrom/Grafe (won 3 NW Bass events on this lake alone)

Walcker/ Dez Ruffin (2nd last year)

There is 8 teams right there that usually fish this and have won tournaments or came super close on this lake that are MIA. There were a bunch of eastsiders missing from this years tournament that usually fish every year, you can't really blame those guys, I think there are 2 throw out tournaments this year and the guys that live in the middle of the state can cherry pick the closest and never spend over $50 of fuel in their tow rigs to qualify for the Championship. But I don't get the guys from over here that will spend the 150 to 200 bucks of fuel to go over the pass and fish Banks, not to mention the 3 to 6 hour drive but wont fish a tournament that is probably less than an hour from home.

Ron,

Nothing changed in the payouts. Math is math and always absolute. Your payout was bigger this year because you won big fish and big stringer. Last year you didn't have big fish and there was no big stringer until it got added at the next event.

It was a good tournament, and the chaos that I expected on the lake really didn't happen. Even Coulon wasn't bad. It just proves the fact that if you don't do something because of what "might happen". You will never do anything.

Thanks to Lisa, Gary and Jeff for doing this tournament again.

Congrats to Ron and Mike for another win on lake wa.. too bad the turn out was so low for a great fishery. we only fished one tourny last year (Moses) and skipped on the NWB and this year not fishing any of the tournies just for the plain fact that both of us are swamped with family/kid obligations. it has nothing to do with trying to pick and choose which is a better tourny for us to fish or not.. if any of the lake it would be washington we would participate on.

next year both our kids will be out of the select sports and traveling for them so we'll be back in the NWB tournies full swing. and to answer your question  is bass fishing important to some of the rest of us? well yes it is but not at the expense of missing out on my kids sports or activities when they are young and when i can. because they grow up too damn fast and soon we wont have the chances to go be apart of it. kids are young once... bass fishing will be around well after they are grown and if it isn't around then i still wont regret missnig out on a couple years of tournies for my kids sake.. LOL.

good luck to all fishing the NWB this year and yes we miss fishing them and all the great people involved but we'll see ya all next year..

I was very shocked too hear about The low turn out on lk washington like everyone else , I was also equally shocked to see this same problem last year as well . I think Marc nailed it his comments in regards to high gas prices , time with family , etc . This is causing many guys too start cherry picking events and mostly fishing only the lakes that they feel like they can cash a check on is the underlining truth of the matter . I chatted with gary a week ago about our absence and ensured that we will fish the remaining NW events minus CDA and fish the championship pn banks for those who are concerned ..

Ronald , I "NEVER" run or hide from events that are held on my favorite lake bro . I really wanted too get some payback from last years upset , however other things came into play so congrats on the win ! 

With that being said dude iv fished NWbass on lk wa since 2008 , iv also fished all The opens , club , Wafish, etc events with the exception of ABA since 2008  dont you give me crap for missing one event in the past 4 years on lk wa . Jordan and i fished the TBF on lk wa two weeks ago "where were you Ronald" rumor is that you were cherry picking for a easy win that did happen on lk riffe that day :-/ 

For those of you who are not aware we had 12 anglers competing down in Idaho at the divisionals on may 11th and yes this contributed a few less boats for NW. After fishing for 3 days for our state and then having too drive 10-11hrs (all night) just to make it too NW BASS on lk wash creates a saftey issue in my book . My partner happen to be one the guys down in idaho !!  

Eric lippincot (wyoming) , won this event just like he did back in 2010 in montana (fact) Idaho whipped on all the competing states with no mercy (fact) the reason why this continues too happen year after year is because a lot of our so~called big sticks are not showing up too TBF (fact). in 2013 when the divisionals are here on pot holes we stand a good chance at not being the best team in our dam state(fact)

My point is that the "overall participation"  in conjuction with all the events in our bass community is suffering a loss imo. Instead of pointing fingers and talking sh_t regarding the "regular supporters" why not make it point to figure out new different ways to grow our sport here in washington state !!  How many "NEW"  NW Bass anglers are we seeing these days is the million dollar question ?

I keep reading that there are so many tournaments now that people have a tough time deciding which tournament to fish.  Here are the facts:

1)  ABA has been around for years

2)  NW Bass has been around for years

3)  TBF qualifiers have been around for years

4)  Club tournaments have been around for years

I don't buy this excuse because we all have had all these options forever and suddenly now it's an issue?  I know for a fact that a couple TBF participants fished the NW Bass event on Sat and there were a few that wanted to fish but couldn't find a partner.  Now that's dedication!

Dez brings up a good point (only 1 Dez)- where is the new blood in NW Bass, and how do we market to them?

I am curious to hear how many "money" tournaments there are this coming weekend.  I know about the Mardon Open at Potholes, the NW at CDA, the Wafish Berkely at Washington, and a club tournament on Moses Lake. ( not money, but good fishing ) What else ?  Those are pretty spread out location wise, so guys can "cherry pick" from a pretty good selection of great fishing locations (at great timing) all at once. It is hard to blame Gary for the Lakes all being attractive at the same time.  

Jeff

RSS

Blog Posts

Old Farts Tournament on Potholes

Posted by Tom Melowitz on September 7, 2019 at 2:45pm

New Group Added!

Posted by Eric Urstad on April 3, 2019 at 7:38pm

© 2024   Created by Jordan Doucet.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service