Washington Fishing

The Online Source for Washington Fishing Information

Had the biggest smallmouth I have ever seen hooked today. At first, I thought it might be a good 4 or 5 pounder...and I had it in my head that I might flip it in the boat, or maybe lip it at the boat. I was enjoying the tug of war and also curious about if there were more like it nearby....when I finally got a gimpse of how big it actually was. Panic set in quickly, as I immediately thought about the net. The net was under a tackle bag, jacket, rain bibs, and hadn't been used all day.

Anyway, as I fumbled with one hand to get the net out...........the fish ran and pulled under the boat and all over the place. I pulled the trolling motor up and finally thought I had it semi- under control. Well, as soon as I got the net in my hand, the fish jumped .....hitting the side if the boat....and throwing the hook.

I have no idea of the actual weight....but I have caught a 6 lb 11 oz and a few around 6 and a half.....and this one was way WAY WAY bigger than that. The emotions raged through my mind... first I was excited, then I was pissed, then I was disappointed, then I was happy it wasn't worth any money. I f I were to guess....I would say it was 7 and a half to 8 pounds. It hit lightly, like any clone ( 2 pounder) or 4 pounder would. I hooked it in about 15 ft of water. I caught 30 to 40 fish today total from 6 inches ......to the big mother.

I know close doesn't count, but it was pretty cool. I needed a pick me up and believe it or not....it was a good one even though I never touched that fish.

Take care

Jeff

Views: 48

Replies to This Discussion

It is always disapointing to lose a great fish like that. But you can try for her again soon.
what lake ?
I thought that too, but I'm sure he doesn't want to give it away.

So just pm the name of the lake to ME. :-)

BigBass Dez said:
what lake ?
Columbia river tri cities
Well you're safe. I can't afford to drive that far. lol
You have to love it, Jeff. Sometimes the fish you don't land are the ones you learn the most from, and live the longest in your memory.

ciao,
Marc

Jon Sessler said:
Next time Jeff.

I hope you have yourself prepared for a Delay thrashing.
Thanks Mark. I agree. Of Course, a photograph would be awesome, but at least I got to see her. I will never forget that

Jeff
Marc Marcantonio said:
You have to love it, Jeff. Sometimes the fish you don't land are the ones you learn the most from, and live the longest in your memory.

ciao,
Marc

Jon Sessler said:
Next time Jeff.

I hope you have yourself prepared for a Delay thrashing.
Sounds like failure to execute. Let's see a picture of the 6'11"
I have a hard copy of it....and no scanner, but I will attempt to photo it and send it to your phone

Mike Bess said:
6 foot 7 inch bass? THAT'S a BIG bass. O^O

Mike Bess said:
Sorry to hear about that but for what its worth,you did catch him...so
your doing something right. The biggest smallie to date for me is just over 4lbs and
that was a beast to me,hell of a fighter. The guy you hooked must have had some serious
attitude.
I haven't even hit the 8lb mark with a Largie that must have been a football Jeff! Right on :) You'll get him in the future thats how I look at it.

RSS

Blog Posts

Old Farts Tournament on Potholes

Posted by Tom Melowitz on September 7, 2019 at 2:45pm

New Group Added!

Posted by Eric Urstad on April 3, 2019 at 7:38pm

© 2024   Created by Jordan Doucet.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service