Washington Fishing

The Online Source for Washington Fishing Information

I've been working with Pure Fishing/Berkley to put on another Berkley/WAFISH tournament in 2015 and pick that back up. Scheduling is always a difficult task so I do not have any details on that yet, however I did have a couple ideas for tournaments that I wanted to get some feedback on. Here goes:

Idea 1:

A team tournament, but not just any team tournament, one where you have a team of up to 3 boats with up to 2 anglers per boat. Entrants would select their own teams and the combined weight of each boats limit would be the winner. Boats within a team could not share/cull each others fish, however each boat could weigh up to 5 bass for a total of 15 bass if each boat caught a limit. The winnings would be presented to the team, and individual options may also be available for each boat. 

Idea 2: 

This one is more difficult to pull off with permits and scheduling, but what do you think about a two day event where you fish different lakes each day that are within a few miles of each other - for example Washington/Sammamish, Potholes/Moses, or Banks/Roosevelt. The format would be a standard team tournament with the combined weight for both days determining the winner.

Idea 3:

A pro-am tournament where pro's and amateur's are randomly paired for teams. 5 fish limit per boat and at least one of the 5 has to be hooked and caught by the amateur. 

Each idea would include reasonable entry fees along with giveaways and possibly some guaranteed money (no minimum boat # for guaranteed money) as has been the case with other Berkley tournaments in the past.  

Ideally, I would like some response on Idea 1 at least as it seems more plausible at this point, however, I am open to suggestions, questions, comments, concerns on each.

My goal is to think of something unique that would encourage more participation so we can have something to show Pure Fishing/Berkley corporate and encourage more sponsorship dollars in the Northwest. 

Let's hear it!

Views: 882

Replies to This Discussion

I like both ideas! I can't decide my favorite yet. One question about idea #1. What do you think about doing a draw format for it to decide which teams fish together? You pick your partner for your boat and then there is a draw to see which 3 boats are on each team. Just seems that otherwise you could get some unstoppable powerhouse 3 boat teams. Not that that's a bad thing or unfair, just a thought.
I agree with parnicky. A guy can get lucky and beat a superior angler. 3 average sticks aint gettin lucky against 3 boats full of guys who'd all be professionals if they lived in the south.

Make it a draw or even more interesting try to handi-cap at least the top teams based on historical data. So if a 30 boat field, then the top 10 boats cant possibly draw each other for example.

Huge fan of #2.
I like idea #1 I will take Ferry and Berto and Tony Lo and Wes, just make sure it's on Lake Washington!

I thought about the draw idea, and felt like it might encourage some anglers and discourage others. ABA has an option called "Double Down" at the championship that we never get in because we do not want our ability to win money in someones hands who we don't know and have absolutely no control over. Whereas if you choose your team than at least you had some skin in the game on who you chose to be on a team with. 

My premise for coming up with this idea was based on the club fish off I started 5 years ago and the success we have had with it. The format is so unique in that you have people who generally fish against each other now working as a team to help each other for a common goal, verses so many tournaments where it is your boat against everyone else. Will we scare some people away with so called "power teams"? Maybe so. But, if we also offer an individual team option pot and big fish, everyone could still have a shot. Sure, people who have a good team of anglers might be tough to beat, but it is still fishing and a team of anglers that all catch 12lbs could certainly beat a team like Ron put together if just one of the boats in Ron's team doesn't perform, or fails to catch a limit.

Ron - yes, I'm thinking Lake Washington and those are some good sticks, but I'll take Lowe and Librande, and bring Tag out of retirement with someone like Mike Hastings maybe and put my money in on any day. Beyond those people though let's think of all the people that do well on Lake Washington and have won out there: Maderos, Smith, Simon, McHenry, Ganancial, McDaniels, Strasbaugh to name a few. I'd team up with any two teams of those guys and so many others any day and not have a problem taking on your dream team. But to my earlier point, there could be so many other anglers out there that could all have decent days combined and could beat our teams. In my opinion that is why this is so appealing. 

Back to my request of getting feedback, if there is an overwhelming majority of people that want to make it a draw, I'll listen and give it a try. I've been critical of other tournaments that are put on and their lack of listening to the anglers to see what they want. I'm no Obama - I'm a "Tournament Director of the people" and will listen to what they want in order to put on a great event.

Thanks Ron it means a lot to me that you put me on your team. I think it would be a great team. And alot of fun .l would like to see something like this happen.
Tony, any day!

My post wasn't meant to leave people out but just point out a blatant fact of what could happen, and the turn off it would be to some guys that aren't super competitors or don't fish money tournaments (these are the guys it needs to be tailored to)

Back to my point though, how many of the fringe guys would it attract to get their teeth kicked in, yes the other guys you mention are also great sticks including yourself but list 18 guys that equals to 3 teams ( dream teams ) This kind of competition isn't what people are looking to put their money down and come off their local lakes for the day.

If this was to work it would have to be a draw format, bring out the extra guys to be hopefully paired with all the guys we have mentioned...... There has to be a way to not let a dream team happen in order to get the draw you are looking for.

BTW I like my team better and I looked at my teams odds in Vegas against the field (all other 3 boat teams) and we are favored by 10 pounds!

How about a true pro am? Low entry fees $75 pro $25 am pay accordingly! With this I think the am has to contribute aa least 1 fish to the 5 fish limit so the guy in the front can't just ignore the am, but help to teach. Just an idea!
Another idea for #1 to work is that you might put stipulations on a team maybe 1 female 1 60+ year old 1 under 21 or 18, disable veteran, so on and so fourth. This could be a cool format, it would also have great group diversity instead of the same faces!

How about a boaters only tournament? (Like the Elite Series)

And to throw a curve on this you could also make this a benefit for Breast Cancer (American Cancer Society)

Where each angler must have 100.00 worth of donations to fish as well as their Entry fee.

Everybody Wins! 

I will pay for the permit.

Great points Ron. I appreciate the input and recommendations. Maybe a draw is the format that would work best. Or a pro/am is a great idea too. Open to suggestions so keep 'em coming!

Ron has some good points that appeal to me, as someone who has never tourney fished and wants to jump in.  I really like the Pro Am idea as it makes the boater utilize his teammate to win.  The draw format would be awesome as well as it gives the possibility of a newer angler to be paired with a good stick.  The only downside is it may not be as appealing to the better sticks as they have no idea who they are being paired with.

I've been pushing and discussing the pro am format for a few years now. California has a strong circuit that uses this format! It would need some tailoring for the folks who are turned off by high entry fees but I think Ron is onto something with his mention of that style of tournament!

Great - maybe we run with the pro-am idea. I'll update the post and see what kind of traction it gets.

It seems to me that something similar is already being done with the TBF and BASS - although like you said the non-boater can get jacked all day and the boater has no real incentive to help teach - maybe this is the big draw to get more participation. In addition, do you think the appeal is the one day or maybe one weekend format and the lower commitment as well as lower entry? Maybe add on top of that a pro that wants to teach them since you have to weigh at least one fish from the amatuer?

Cool ideas overall. Let's make this happen.

RSS

Blog Posts

Old Farts Tournament on Potholes

Posted by Tom Melowitz on September 7, 2019 at 2:45pm

New Group Added!

Posted by Eric Urstad on April 3, 2019 at 7:38pm

© 2024   Created by Jordan Doucet.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service