Washington Fishing

The Online Source for Washington Fishing Information

A buddy of mine wants to hit up Bay lake near Gig Harbor. From what I hear, it is a pretty good Largy lake. My only concern is, I have heard it gets pretty jammed up with weeds in the summer. Anyone been there lately?

Second question: What tactics does everyone use for fishing heavy weeds? Not just pads, but thick, matted milfoil?

Views: 125

Replies to This Discussion

Like anything, this depends on the conditions, but I have done pretty well lately in the middle of deep(10-20ft) milfoil beds. Concentrate on areas like you normally would on a lake without grass (like Mark said), fish a shallow hump in the middle of the weeds, or the base of the hump, etc. Oh and when fishing these deep beds, make sure you have the equipment to haul out a pig from the bottom of a 15ft weedbed; braid, and superwire hooks.

As for punching, thanks for the tip Tag! I just started trying this after I got my butt kicked at the delta knowing exactly where the fish were, but not being able to get there effectively. Since I've started, my hookup ratio has been awful so I'll give that a shot. After punching for a while you'll be amazed at some of the stuff bass can get themselves into.

AARON373V said:
Thats a good way to look at it Mark. I will try that. I usually do pretty well around pads, it's the milfoil that I usually skip. How important is it to fish milfoil in a lake? Is it worth hitting, or is time usually best spent elsewhere? I know weed edges and such, I'm not a total rookie, but I'm talking thick, heavy weeded flats/points ect.
I know about 10 lakes with that name.

Eric DeLay said:
I went there once and now I call it Gay Lake.
Stroller just found himself intrigued.
LOL.

Since this post I went and ordered $20-30 in tungsten weights (which gets you almost nothing) :(
Off to Auburn to see what they have in stock.

AARON373V said:

do you have special flippers to get through the weeds?

Jerry said:
I was there on Sunday in my tube. Lots of milfoil mats and the lake is stained with an algae bloom. I got out there late and missed two. One one a worm and a blow up on a frog. I got one that went 5-12 on a purple Culprit worm on Thurs evening. Like the others said..punch the vegetation and fish the edges, and don't be afraid to check the mats in the open water. The lake is shallow, and there is quite a bit of wood in it, and it is very shallow. There are very few pads on that lake. The fish in my avatar came from there. Good luck
It might be a different weed than you are thinking.

Lloyd said:

Jerry said:
I was there on Sunday in my tube. Lots of milfoil mats and the lake is stained with an algae bloom. I got out there late and missed two. One one a worm and a blow up on a frog. I got one that went 5-12 on a purple Culprit worm on Thurs evening. Like the others said..punch the vegetation and fish the edges, and don't be afraid to check the mats in the open water. The lake is shallow, and there is quite a bit of wood in it, and it is very shallow. There are very few pads on that lake. The fish in my avatar came from there. Good luck
Is it really that important to use tungsten vs. lead or brass other than physical size of the weight? Just seems like a lot of money for terminal tackle.

Chris B said:
LOL.

Since this post I went and ordered $20-30 in tungsten weights (which gets you almost nothing) :(

AARON373V said:

I know what you mean Aaron. This was my first order of the heavier tungsten weights. I hate to spend that kinda money on weights too. Compared to my swimbait collection, tungsten weights is nothin. I think I got a decent collection now, Auburn had some also.
I think tungsten for punching is a must, have you ever seen a 1 oz lead weight used for say a carolina rig, HUGE. Brass would be really over the top. I was intrigued when I read the river2sea description. Most of their weights come in a matte finish so they don't shine and spook the fish.

AARON373V said:
Is it really that important to use tungsten vs. lead or brass other than physical size of the weight? Just seems like a lot of money for terminal tackle.

Chris B said:
LOL.

AARON373V said:

LMAO..I'll never tell

Ben Holten said:
It might be a different weed than you are thinking.

Lloyd said:

Jerry said:
I wonder that too. I'm a tight-ass so I don't see tungsten in my near future.

AARON373V said:

Chris B said:
LOL.

AARON373V said:

What about sound? Does tungsten make a sound like brass? I usually use brass for carolina rigs just for that reason, with a glass bead.

Chris B said:
I know what you mean Aaron. This was my first order of the heavier tungsten weights. I hate to spend that kinda money on weights too. Compared to my swimbait collection, tungsten weights is nothin. I think I got a decent collection now, Auburn had some also.
I think tungsten for punching is a must, have you ever seen a 1 oz lead weight used for say a carolina rig, HUGE. Brass would be really over the top. I was intrigued when I read the river2sea description. Most of their weights come in a matte finish so they don't shine and spook the fish.

AARON373V said:

Chris B said:
LOL.

AARON373V said:

I believe tungsten flipping weights are worth the investment for punching vegetation. They are significantly smaller than their lead counterparts of equal weight. I want the most compact rig possible for penetrating the smallest openings or punching directly through dense cover. More importantly, with the smaller tungsten weight, I believe there is less chance of the weight knocking the mouth of the fish open or impeding optimum hook penetration.

Although the heavy tungsten flipping weights are very expensive, chances are slim to none that you will ever lose one while punching vegetation. With a stout straight shank hook snelled onto 50# or 65# braid, you may break your flipping stick or your wrist, but the line will not break. Wood cover is a different story as you can hang up deep in a brush pile, at which point you are more than likely out a $10.00 weight.
I thought of that also Tag. With the heavy braid, It seems like it would be difficult to lose or break off. I recommend taking a plug knocker with you on every trip, they aren't just for crankbaits ;)

RSS

Blog Posts

Old Farts Tournament on Potholes

Posted by Tom Melowitz on September 7, 2019 at 2:45pm

New Group Added!

Posted by Eric Urstad on April 3, 2019 at 7:38pm

© 2024   Created by Jordan Doucet.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service