Washington Fishing

The Online Source for Washington Fishing Information

I HAVE TALKED TO COUPLE BASS GUYS ON THIS TOPIC TO GET A FEEL HOW THIS WOULD GO AND EFFECT OUR LAKES AND THEY THINK IT WOULD WORK. WHAT DO YOU THINK. 

MY PROPOSAL IS TO HAVE EVERY BASS CLUB MEMBER OR ANYONE THAT LOVES TO FISH FOR BASS MAKE A 20+ DOLLAR DONATION. THIS WOULD GO TOWARDS BUYING BASS FINGERLINGS TO STOCK OUR LAKES ON THE WEST SIDE AND MAKING BETTER FISHERIES HERE. EACH CLUB WOULD PICK OR TAKE A POLL AS A STATE FOR THE LAKE THAT YEAR THAT WOULD BE STOCKED. I AM UNDER THE UNDERSTANDING THAT THE EAST SIDE HAS A STOCKING PROGRAM BUT IF ANYONE KNOWS DIFFERENT IT WOULD BE HELPFUL. I AM NOT SAYING THAT THE WEST SIDE SUCKS BUT I WOULD BE NICE TO HAVE BIGGER AND BETTER NUMBERS. IF THE FISH AND GAME DON'T STOCK OUR LAKES MAYBE WE SHOULD TAKE A STAND AND MAKE BETTER FISHERIES NOW.

Views: 104

Replies to This Discussion

I like everyones reply's I do agree that stocking bait would help our lakes and pulling the smaller selective fish out could also help, but if we stock bait I think then we wouldn't have to pull the smaller fish out. I want to see numbers and bigger fish here on the west side with better management!!!! :-)

The DOFW came to speak to us at a club meeting about this topic and they told us it's not that simple as stocking them. It can change the entire echo system and actually hurt the fishery. There has to be enough baitfish/food for them as well as the other species of fish that live in the body of water.

I personally think Banks would be a phenominal spot fishery...if any lake would do well with spotted bass, I think Banks would (side bar comment :-)

I agree we need shad shiners silversides smelt and ciscoes!

Henry Chan said:

So how can stocking of bass fingerlings make better fisheries? I can see that there'll be more smaller bass but in turn there'll be less food for them to get big. It's not very fun catching dink all day. IMO, for them to get big, there should be enough food and less threat. Instead of stocking bass fingerlings, why not stock fingerling of bait fish?(or different kind of bait fish if it's not there) so they'll have enough food to get big. And as mentioned in the above post, there should be more effort to Protect the bigger bass from poacher, by no fishing during the spawning period, and catch and release only for bigger bass.

Gizzard and threadfin shad!

I'm not so sure about the spots in Banks. Banks has enough small fish in it already, putting spots in there would just make it worse, and decrease the number of SM we see. Look at Oroville and Shasta for example. Looking at the large eastern washington bodies of water, I don't think much has to be done because the natural ecosystem there takes care of itself, and if anything should be done its with the damn birds on potholes. On smaller lakes, introduction of some baitfish might not be a bad idea. 

Jason Brown said:

The DOFW came to speak to us at a club meeting about this topic and they told us it's not that simple as stocking them. It can change the entire echo system and actually hurt the fishery. There has to be enough baitfish/food for them as well as the other species of fish that live in the body of water.

I personally think Banks would be a phenominal spot fishery...if any lake would do well with spotted bass, I think Banks would (side bar comment :-)

Good point zach, didnt think about that. Ron can shad survive in our cold water?
From what I understand shad are in the columbia so why couldn't we have shad in washington and sammamish???
It's a different type of shad. It's an anadromous fish. Kinda like a salmon...they spend part of their lives in salt and spawn in fresh water. Gizzard and threadfin are residents of fresh water lakes, rivers, etc.
I'd suggest googling American Shad, Threadfin Shad, and Gizzard Shad. American shad, according to wiki, live in the ocean and come up rivers to spawn. Threadfin shad have trouble with cold temps (below 42F) and Gizzard Shad are considered to be a threat to most ecosystems. 

BARLOW said:
From what I understand shad are in the columbia so why couldn't we have shad in washington and sammamish???

Gizzard shad probably arn't a good fit around Northern LMB... more of a bucket mouth forage seeming they get pretty big quickly. But with that said I don't think it's a forage based issue.

I think the bass on lakes like American have predator issue at early ages. Those bed's just get smashed by Rock bass. Places like Banks, I agree with the majority, need more fish kept.

I had the pond I managed for 5 years and grew some 5's and 6'lbers by weeding out the 1 lbs for supper. Works pretty well! But I had guidance and exact numbers provided by biologists fro Auburn Univeristy do a study on the 6 acre pond before I started. I think the depatment of Wild Life tries to make the species successful but without a proper accounting of whats being kept it's hard.

ANother note: I think the slot limits for keeping bass are weird... why would you be able to keep a larger fish when they are the ones that spawn. I mean the slot limit in most lakes are designed to keep the larger fish and throw back the little ones. That makes no kind of sense for producing larger fish. In my pond the biologist told us to keep the little ones in the 1lb range IOT to give more food to the larger fish. But what do they know...

Johnny, what do you know about the blue back herring? Could they survive in our waters and what could be the negative impact on the eco-system? I saw this vid on bassresource.com not to long ago take a look at this tell us what you think.

http://www.bassresource.com/bass-fishing-videos/bass-fishing-fish-b...

Johnny Walker said:

Gizzard shad probably arn't a good fit around Northern LMB... more of a bucket mouth forage seeming they get pretty big quickly. But with that said I don't think it's a forage based issue.

I think the bass on lakes like American have predator issue at early ages. Those bed's just get smashed by Rock bass. Places like Banks, I agree with the majority, need more fish kept.

I had the pond I managed for 5 years and grew some 5's and 6'lbers by weeding out the 1 lbs for supper. Works pretty well! But I had guidance and exact numbers provided by biologists fro Auburn Univeristy do a study on the 6 acre pond before I started. I think the depatment of Wild Life tries to make the species successful but without a proper accounting of whats being kept it's hard.

ANother note: I think the slot limits for keeping bass are weird... why would you be able to keep a larger fish when they are the ones that spawn. I mean the slot limit in most lakes are designed to keep the larger fish and throw back the little ones. That makes no kind of sense for producing larger fish. In my pond the biologist told us to keep the little ones in the 1lb range IOT to give more food to the larger fish. But what do they know...

RSS

Blog Posts

Old Farts Tournament on Potholes

Posted by Tom Melowitz on September 7, 2019 at 2:45pm

New Group Added!

Posted by Eric Urstad on April 3, 2019 at 7:38pm

© 2024   Created by Jordan Doucet.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service