Washington Fishing

The Online Source for Washington Fishing Information

After talking to some friends of mine about tournament fishing in general, the new tournaments coming, legacy tournaments that have been around a long time, and everything in between I want to know a couple things from the people on here:

1. What you think about the number of tournaments in general?
  2. How do you decide which ones to do?

When you stop and think about all the tournaments coming in 2016 for example it is pretty shocking to see how far spread out anglers could become. That list of tournaments in 2016 includes:

• Northwest Bass
  • ABA East and West
  • The New Big Bass Trail
  • TBF Qualifiers
  • BASS Qualifiers
  • Open Tournaments
  • Club Tournaments

Pretty wild when you consider how many tournaments that is and actually put those dates to the calendar and see almost every weekend with multiple events from April through September.

Here's my thoughts:

#1 In my opinion there are a limited number of tournament bass fishermen in the northwest and based on the participation of tournaments this year and in the last couple of years, almost across the board (there are a few exceptions), I would argue that so many tournaments is not good for tournament fishing in general. It appears to me that the market has become diluted already and even more events are coming up. That is not to say that I do not believe in competition. I will be the first person to tell you that when there's more competition, figure out a way to do what everyone else is doing and make it better, but unfortunately I don't see that now or in the future. I see too much of the same stuff, or see new things that just don't appeal to me.  Wasn't it alot more fun and didn't it mean a heck of alot more to the anglers personally when they did well, as well as the appeal to sponsors when there were 100+ boats at an event or events in a circuit. 

#2 For me, I typically choose a tournament trail based on the schedule, how "fun" the lake is to fish at the given time of year, and my level of confidence that I can get my money back. Alot of my decision making is about potential ROI for me at this point which pretty much rules out all club and qualifier events. I at least want the opportunity to make my money back if I get lucky enough to cash a check over a weekend or at least have a great time trying. So I choose the circuit where I both feel the most confident I can do well, compared with the investment and payback, and the uniqueness or amount of fun I am going to have to justify the expense. Then mix in an open tournament or two where it makes sense and doesn't conflict with prefish of whatever circuit I choose. Oh and then compare that with the family plans and events with the wife and kids. 

So I'll end my rambling with a challenge to tournament directors or circuits. Use the resources you have at your disposal, listen to the anglers, work a little harder to separate yourself, think outside of the box and figure out how to stand above everything else. Maybe this is being done now and I'm missing something and if so I apologize, but I can't be the only one feeling this way.

Thoughts? 

Views: 10790

Replies to This Discussion

Good point Ron. It's not about the teams that are showing up to participate, it's more about the teams that aren't showing up. There has been a lot of great ideas in this thread. Maybe some could work and maybe not. As Jerry and Stevens stated, they have no desire to fish tournaments at all and that is O.K. Tournament fishing is not for everyone. 

After some thinking this past week, I'm not going to place any blame on the organizations, tournament directors or the fact that it is difficult to schedule tournaments in Washington state. We all get to make our choice as to what we will participate in. I choose NWB for the simple reason that I want to compete against the best anglers that I can, at one location and venue. I find more personal satisfaction knowing that I had a good tournament competing against some of the best, than I do cashing a check. If it all came down to money as the driving force, I would choose not to fish tournaments at all and save a ton of money!  

Here are some examples of the difficult decisions that teams will have to make this season, as to what tournament they will choose to participate in.

• April 23/24 - ABA at Potholes or BBT at Moses
  • April 30/May 1 - If you want to fish the Nixon's Open on Moses, you will not be able to fish the April 23/24 BBT on Moses do to the two week off limits for the Nixon's Open.
  • May 14/15 - BBT at Potholes. You can utilize this weekend to fish the BBT and also utilize it as your pre-fish for the May 21/22 NWB at Potholes. For me personally, this creates a complication. My approach to pre-fishing is totally different than how I fish a tournament. I also try to utilize the week leading up to the NWB pre-fish weekend, to take some time off from work and relax. This gives me the chance to spend some time at our place at Potholes and get in a little extra pre-fish time. If you wanted to fish the BBT event, you are limited to Saturday and Sunday only do to the off limits rule. Again, I'm not blaming the organizations it's just the personal decision that I will make.
  • June 4/5 - ABA at Riffe or BBT at Banks. Or for many of us we will be at the Tri Cities pre-fishing for the June 11 NWB tournament at the Tri Cities. I'm just not that good on the river. I need the pre-fish weekend to give my self a chance to compete come tournament weekend.

I'm sure there are quite a few other difficult decisions that teams will need to make when you consider other Opens, Federation and Club events during the 2016 season. Now that spring is just around the corner, I can't wait to get my 31st tournament season going.  

Ronald Hobbs, Jr. said:

Ben,
Of course I have an opinion, but I don't think it matters the most, I fish already, I think your opinion matters, Jake opinion matter, Rodney opinion matter, these are the guys that the tournaments need to appeal to, not me.

Ben Hanes said:

I just have to say....I don't think Ron Hobbs has said anything.  Ron Hobbs.....?  :)

Dana,

I'm with you on the whole idea of using the tournament the weekend before to prefish. It's not my intention to go out and stick a bunch of fish a week before a tournament in all the same spots I'm going to fish the following weekend, then haul out the biggest ones 10 miles from where I caught them and hope I'm going to repeat it. That's not how I prefish, but to each their own right? 

Although, you may feel pretty silly when you shake off that 7lber that would have cashed you around 10K if you would have been in the BBT during your prefish...

Dana, You have summed up perfectly the decision making process that all of us who do want to participate are faced with.  

If only there was a common thread in your post about what was influencing your decision to participate or not.  

Dana Steiner said:

• April 23/24 - ABA at Potholes or BBT at Moses
  • April 30/May 1 - If you want to fish the Nixon's Open on Moses, you will not be able to fish the April 23/24 BBT on Moses do to the two week off limits for the Nixon's Open.
  • May 14/15 - BBT at Potholes. You can utilize this weekend to fish the BBT and also utilize it as your pre-fish for the May 21/22 NWB at Potholes. For me personally, this creates a complication. My approach to pre-fishing is totally different than how I fish a tournament. I also try to utilize the week leading up to the NWB pre-fish weekend, to take some time off from work and relax. This gives me the chance to spend some time at our place at Potholes and get in a little extra pre-fish time. If you wanted to fish the BBT event, you are limited to Saturday and Sunday only do to the off limits rule. Again, I'm not blaming the organizations it's just the personal decision that I will make.
  • June 4/5 - ABA at Riffe or BBT at Banks. Or for many of us we will be at the Tri Cities pre-fishing for the June 11 NWB tournament at the Tri Cities. I'm just not that good on the river. I need the pre-fish weekend to give my self a chance to compete come tournament weekend.

It seems like a common thread, or point, among the fisherman that are going to fish regardless, is that they want to compete against the best.

Well I think there was an awesome article recently posted on WA Fish about the tagging of bass, and how they traveled up to thirty miles in just a few days after being caught....Some traveled I think it was like 10-20 miles in ONE DAY, right back to where they were caught from.  Largemouth and smallmouth alike.  Amazing.

I am fully on board that fish nearly always completely change in 1 week, everywhere.  It's just even worse at Potholes!

I think there could be a whole other really interesting discussion on spot versus areas, educating fish for pre fish, etc.

So are you saying that you only swing on fish that you know are 5+lbs in the BBT? I suppose you could say that you're going for quality not quantity, but undoubtedly you'll be hooking fish that would likely help you the next weekend right? 

As far as ABA, you're exactly right Jeff, but in that instance there isn't much of a choice other than to go balls out on catching fish during an ABA because they are two single tournaments back to back on the same weekend. The point Dana and I are making is that if we have a choice, we would prefer not to do that the weekend before if indeed it's a prefish day/weekend.

I'm sure I'm not the only one who has caught fish with hook or cull tag holes in it during a tournament that presumably was caught the weekend before, but I'm of the opinion that going to town in an area the week before (and in the example mentioned taking your biggest out of an area for a tournament weigh in) certainly doesn't help your odds of repeating it a week later. If this is how you prefish, than by all means please continue doing what you are comfortable with, I just hope you're not fishing the same areas I am... 

Jeff McBroom said:

Jordan, 

Now I'll play devil's advocate :

Is this ( It's not my intention to go out and stick a bunch of fish a week before a tournament in all the same spots I'm going to fish the following weekend, then haul out the biggest ones 10 miles from where I caught them and hope I'm going to repeat it.) not exactly what happens when you fish an ABA weekend? ? Only worse in that the fish you are trying to catch Sunday  (which is its own tourney) probably came from the same area you pounded the day before?? 

Trust me, we dont "pound" our fish the weekend before a NWBass event either. The way you fish a BBT tournament "should-strategy wise" be different than how you treat a 5 fish bag tournament. For 1 thing you can only have 3 fish total in yr boat during the tournament. I wont go into strategy any more than that. I will also say alot can happen to the fish at Potholes, in a week, in May.

As far as BBT off limits-- I'll talk to Russ to find out "why the change". There was no off limits in the past. I've already stated earlier in this post that i agree the big tournaments should think about easing the off limits restrictions. 
Jordan Doucet said:

Dana,

I'm with you on the whole idea of using the tournament the weekend before to prefish. It's not my intention to go out and stick a bunch of fish a week before a tournament in all the same spots I'm going to fish the following weekend, then haul out the biggest ones 10 miles from where I caught them and hope I'm going to repeat it. That's not how I prefish, but to each their own right? 

Although, you may feel pretty silly when you shake off that 7lber that would have cashed you around 10K if you would have been in the BBT during your prefish...

Don,

My personal decisions to participate or not.

Why do I participate:

• I participate because I love the sport that is a huge part of my life.
  • I participate because this sport has helped me grow as a person.
  • I participate because so many of the "old timers" helped a young snot nose "wantabe" become a solid tournament fisherman. I owe them more then they will ever know. Sad that some are no longer here, to hear my thanks.
  • I participate because I love the competition and I want to test myself against the best our state has to offer.
  • I participate because I have made some of the best life long friends a person could ever hope for.
  • I participate because this allows me to relieve the daily stress that life throws at me.
  • I participate because I have the honor to fish against teams like Hogue/Brown and so many others.

Why do I not participate:

• Management of time. When I was a young man and care free, I could roam the state fishing whenever I wanted. The only limitation was money. Now that I'm older my job demands have taken priority over fishing. Last year I worked 2500+ hours (12.5 weeks more than the average American worker). For the last five years I have averaged 2300+ hours. I wonder what personal sacrifices I made for these extra work hours------Family, friends, tournament participation?
  • Retirement goals - I'm not going to sacrifice my retirement plan for a bunch of dumb fish. I'm on track to retire at 58 years old with a healthy monthly income. Like Potter said, those dumb fish will still be there years from now.
  • Age - You youngsters can laugh all you want, I was you once. I used to be the first boat on the water and the last boat to come off the water. I never needed an alarm clock to wake up, most nights I couldn't even sleep I was so excited. Well, life is cruel and we will all slow down. Now I find myself wanting to hit the "snooze" for 10 extra minutes. I can no longer function with 4 hours of sleep a night and fish all day in 100 deg. temperature for 8-10 hours.

So the answer to your question Don, there is no common thread. We all have our reasons to participate. I may argue with Jake (Juan 2 Bee) that offends some of you, get over it. Like Sessler stated, to many people in life show up and expect a "Participation Trophy". Get off your butts and work for it!

Don Hogue said:

If only there was a common thread in your post about what was influencing your decision to participate or not.  

I sometimes wonder....guys down south, say like in Alabama, where there's thousands of bass fisherman, hundreds of tournaments on 1 body of water, and every spot and area is pounded relentlessly, and there's open pre-fishing in all of the big circuits; I wonder how they would view this subject of pre-fishing and spots?

I suspect they would probably think we in Washington are a little bit spoiled to think we have a "spot" that shouldn't' be touched for a week or two, and if it is, our chances of doing well are significantly reduced.

I can't argue that it can't necessarily HELP an area if it gets pounded one-week prior, but I have fished over 100 tournaments and time and again, over and over and over and over and over again, it's the same guys winning most of the time.  And guess what?  They fish the same spots that are getting "pounded."  The only difference is they fish them differently, their timing is right, they make fewer errors, and determine more quickly that the fish they WERE ON last week MOVED, and they know right where they went.

Oh prease McBroom - you so good at catch big bass you no want to get into share strategy. HAHA. Don't want to give away secret to winning so much money huh since you win so much before. It rooks to me rike you never won big bass money have you? http://bigbasstrail.com/results/

Jeff McBroom said:

Jordan, 

Is this ( It's not my intention to go out and stick a bunch of fish a week before a tournament in all the same spots I'm going to fish the following weekend, then haul out the biggest ones 10 miles from where I caught them and hope I'm going to repeat it.) not exactly what happens when you fish an ABA weekend? ? Only worse in that the fish you are trying to catch Sunday  (which is its own tourney) probably came from the same area you pounded the day before?? 

Trust me, we dont "pound" our fish the weekend before a NWBass event either. The way you fish a BBT tournament "should-strategy wise" be different than how you treat a 5 fish bag tournament. For 1 thing you can only have 3 fish total in yr boat during the tournament. I wont go into strategy any more than that. I will also say alot can happen to the fish at Potholes, in a week, in May.

As far as BBT off limits-- I'll talk to Russ to find out "why the change". There was no off limits in the past. I've already stated earlier in this post that i agree the big tournaments should think about easing the off limits restrictions. 
Jordan Doucet said:

Dana,

Rodney, you vote for Obama and Bernie Sanders don't you? Revel praying field for everyone huh? You no want to reward people who work hard do good. Maybe any time good fisher catch a big one they trade you for your little one as another rule until you are happy? I expect this from the same bass crub that don't let people who do good get in raffle so no one feeling get hurt. Maybe you stick to not fish tournament good idea i think.

Rodney Heupel said:

After being entertained by all this reading, I believe I see a simple answer for most concerns. First let me establish I am happy fishing club level. For those angler's that want to live the dream and advance to higher levels of competition I understand and respect that.

What if all tournament directors placed his/her tournament lakes totally off limits for 30 days prior to the tournament? Look at all the issues regarding pre-fish that would be gone, the money saved, less wear-n-tear on boat and tow vehicle. More quality family time would happen, divorce rate drops. Would have a positive effect for leveling the player field. Those who can't normally get all this time off to pre-fish would be more likely to get involved. Those angler's with a lower income level may get involved. May reduce tournament date conflicts. May allow you to fish all tournaments of multiple circuits. You may realize you have forgotten the reason you fish is to have fun. Maybe the deciding factor that convinces you to pack your bags and move to Florida.

I very sorry i wrong. I found picture with you catch a rearry big one!

Hon Robbs said:

Oh prease McBroom - you so good at catch big bass you no want to get into share strategy. HAHA. Don't want to give away secret to winning so much money huh since you win so much before. It rooks to me rike you never won big bass money have you? http://bigbasstrail.com/results/

Jeff McBroom said:

Jordan, 

Jordan Doucet said:

Dana,

I'm laughing my a$$ off.

Hon Robbs said:

Rodney, you vote for Obama and Bernie Sanders don't you? Revel praying field for everyone huh? You no want to reward people who work hard do good. Maybe any time good fisher catch a big one they trade you for your little one as another rule until you are happy? I expect this from the same bass crub that don't let people who do good get in raffle so no one feeling get hurt. Maybe you stick to not fish tournament good idea i think.

Rodney Heupel said:

After being entertained by all this reading, I believe I see a simple answer for most concerns. First let me establish I am happy fishing club level. For those angler's that want to live the dream and advance to higher levels of competition I understand and respect that.

What if all tournament directors placed his/her tournament lakes totally off limits for 30 days prior to the tournament? Look at all the issues regarding pre-fish that would be gone, the money saved, less wear-n-tear on boat and tow vehicle. More quality family time would happen, divorce rate drops. Would have a positive effect for leveling the player field. Those who can't normally get all this time off to pre-fish would be more likely to get involved. Those angler's with a lower income level may get involved. May reduce tournament date conflicts. May allow you to fish all tournaments of multiple circuits. You may realize you have forgotten the reason you fish is to have fun. Maybe the deciding factor that convinces you to pack your bags and move to Florida.

RSS

Blog Posts

Old Farts Tournament on Potholes

Posted by Tom Melowitz on September 7, 2019 at 2:45pm

New Group Added!

Posted by Eric Urstad on April 3, 2019 at 7:38pm

© 2024   Created by Jordan Doucet.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service