Washington Fishing

The Online Source for Washington Fishing Information

After talking to some friends of mine about tournament fishing in general, the new tournaments coming, legacy tournaments that have been around a long time, and everything in between I want to know a couple things from the people on here:

1. What you think about the number of tournaments in general?
  2. How do you decide which ones to do?

When you stop and think about all the tournaments coming in 2016 for example it is pretty shocking to see how far spread out anglers could become. That list of tournaments in 2016 includes:

• Northwest Bass
  • ABA East and West
  • The New Big Bass Trail
  • TBF Qualifiers
  • BASS Qualifiers
  • Open Tournaments
  • Club Tournaments

Pretty wild when you consider how many tournaments that is and actually put those dates to the calendar and see almost every weekend with multiple events from April through September.

Here's my thoughts:

#1 In my opinion there are a limited number of tournament bass fishermen in the northwest and based on the participation of tournaments this year and in the last couple of years, almost across the board (there are a few exceptions), I would argue that so many tournaments is not good for tournament fishing in general. It appears to me that the market has become diluted already and even more events are coming up. That is not to say that I do not believe in competition. I will be the first person to tell you that when there's more competition, figure out a way to do what everyone else is doing and make it better, but unfortunately I don't see that now or in the future. I see too much of the same stuff, or see new things that just don't appeal to me.  Wasn't it alot more fun and didn't it mean a heck of alot more to the anglers personally when they did well, as well as the appeal to sponsors when there were 100+ boats at an event or events in a circuit. 

#2 For me, I typically choose a tournament trail based on the schedule, how "fun" the lake is to fish at the given time of year, and my level of confidence that I can get my money back. Alot of my decision making is about potential ROI for me at this point which pretty much rules out all club and qualifier events. I at least want the opportunity to make my money back if I get lucky enough to cash a check over a weekend or at least have a great time trying. So I choose the circuit where I both feel the most confident I can do well, compared with the investment and payback, and the uniqueness or amount of fun I am going to have to justify the expense. Then mix in an open tournament or two where it makes sense and doesn't conflict with prefish of whatever circuit I choose. Oh and then compare that with the family plans and events with the wife and kids. 

So I'll end my rambling with a challenge to tournament directors or circuits. Use the resources you have at your disposal, listen to the anglers, work a little harder to separate yourself, think outside of the box and figure out how to stand above everything else. Maybe this is being done now and I'm missing something and if so I apologize, but I can't be the only one feeling this way.

Thoughts? 

Views: 10790

Replies to This Discussion

Now I'm laughing so hard I'm crying.

Hon Robbs said:

I very sorry i wrong. I found picture with you catch a rearry big one!

Hon Robbs said:

Oh prease McBroom - you so good at catch big bass you no want to get into share strategy. HAHA. Don't want to give away secret to winning so much money huh since you win so much before. It rooks to me rike you never won big bass money have you? http://bigbasstrail.com/results/

Jeff McBroom said:

Jordan, 

Now I'll play devil's advocate :

Is this ( It's not my intention to go out and stick a bunch of fish a week before a tournament in all the same spots I'm going to fish the following weekend, then haul out the biggest ones 10 miles from where I caught them and hope I'm going to repeat it.) not exactly what happens when you fish an ABA weekend? ? Only worse in that the fish you are trying to catch Sunday  (which is its own tourney) probably came from the same area you pounded the day before?? 

Trust me, we dont "pound" our fish the weekend before a NWBass event either. The way you fish a BBT tournament "should-strategy wise" be different than how you treat a 5 fish bag tournament. For 1 thing you can only have 3 fish total in yr boat during the tournament. I wont go into strategy any more than that. I will also say alot can happen to the fish at Potholes, in a week, in May.

As far as BBT off limits-- I'll talk to Russ to find out "why the change". There was no off limits in the past. I've already stated earlier in this post that i agree the big tournaments should think about easing the off limits restrictions. 
Jordan Doucet said:

Dana,

I'm with you on the whole idea of using the tournament the weekend before to prefish. It's not my intention to go out and stick a bunch of fish a week before a tournament in all the same spots I'm going to fish the following weekend, then haul out the biggest ones 10 miles from where I caught them and hope I'm going to repeat it. That's not how I prefish, but to each their own right? 

Although, you may feel pretty silly when you shake off that 7lber that would have cashed you around 10K if you would have been in the BBT during your prefish...

This post has officially been hi-jacked.  LOL.  Just like the good ole' days....If only Misanthrope joined in on the fun!

Also lets not forget how tough it is as a young person just to get ahead in this world and economy. I know plenty of good young fishermen that don't have the financial means to fish tournements weekend and week out.  Just the reality of overall underlying costs of this sport.  On the cheap we are talking 20K for a decent used bass boat, 15K for a truck to haul it around, and then 10K in tackle, rods, reels, electronics. Then we add the cost of the actual tourney. $250 entry, 300 bucks/oil in gas for the boat and truck. Accomadations, on the cheap means camping at most of the venues or staying with friends and sleeping on the floor or air matress.  And somehow this is all supposed to be fun.  Now if the young angler has a family???

We can now see how hard it can be to grow this sport not only say in Alabama, but here in Washington were are venues can be over a 4 hr drive one way to fish.  I recently fished the BFL all american and my backseater was from Tennesee.  I ask him why he had never fish Kentucky Lake before.  It was only 4 hrs from his home.  He lived in Chatanooga, and told me " I don't need to drive 4 hrs to fish great bodies of water" I have guntersville, pickwick, chickamaga, nickjack, wheeler all within 2 hrs drive.  Point taking!!!

But this is also why Northwest anglers have done very well on the National level when we get our opportunities.  The list is too long of great Nortwest anglers who have gone on to do very well on a national events.  

This sport is tough up here, long drives to lakes and rivers that can humble you in a heart beat.  Competing against some of the best anglers in the country.  This is why it is tough to grow the sport here.  Then there is the limited fishing season.  Basically April thru end of Sept for tourney's.  All compressed and fighting for the handful of anglers.

As for picking what events I fish,  it always comes down to what are my goals I want to accomplish.  For the past few years I wanted to qualify and go to the Nationals of either BASS or TBF.  Now that I have done that, I have focused on fishing local circuits. Last year it was ABA, this year it will BBTT, but it also comes down to what will be fun.  I do enjoy seeing where I stack up against other anglers, cashing a few meager checks along the way, but more than that, I enjoy the time on the water with people I like.

Mark

Jon Sessler said:

I think that if all the circuits started handing out Participation Trophies they could alleviate a lot of the hurt feelings, and draw some people back into the game.

One thing that I think everyone is missing is that a lot of the guys that made up the additional numbers have retired from competitive fishing. I can think of quite a few who consistently made up entries that have died, quit, or just got too old to do it.

Not to disparage the "yutes" (Juan aka Snake) but many of the younger generation don't enjoy the outdoors based on a percentage of the population as the generations before them. Not because the old guys don't share or aren't welcoming - they just have other interests. I have paid for several entry fees, and loaned my boat to young guys just to give them the experience of a tournament - but the seed didn't germinate so to speak. I saw this in a previous hobby of mine - there just wasn't the interest in the younger generation (at the time I was the younger generation) for the activity. I may be wrong, but I would guess even though they are selling more licenses at the State level, it's a smaller percentage of the population.

I'm gonna kick this horse one more time...

My earlier sarcasm may have been lost in the shuffle.  Dana's earlier post DOES have a common thread. I've taken the liberty to emphasize it below:

• April 30/May 1 - If you want to fish the Nixon's Open on Moses, you will not be able to fish the April 23/24 BBT on Moses do to the two week off limits for the Nixon's Open.
  • May 14/15 - BBT at Potholes. You can utilize this weekend to fish the BBT and also utilize it as your pre-fish for the May 21/22 NWB at Potholes. For me personally, this creates a complication. My approach to pre-fishing is totally different than how I fish a tournament. I also try to utilize the week leading up to the NWB pre-fish weekend, to take some time off from work and relax. This gives me the chance to spend some time at our place at Potholes and get in a little extra pre-fish time. If you wanted to fish the BBT event, you are limited to Saturday and Sunday only do to the off limits rule. Again, I'm not blaming the organizations it's just the personal decision that I will make.
  • June 4/5 - ABA at Riffe or BBT at Banks. Or for many of us we will be at the Tri Cities pre-fishing for the June 11 NWB tournament at the Tri Cities. I'm just not that good on the river. I need the pre-fish weekend to give my self a chance to compete come tournament weekend

Dana is absolutely right on this.  

This isn't complicated.  Pull out a calendar, write in all the events and your prefish days, with off-limits rules in place.  Next add up your time away from home, especially weekends, and your miles and finally how many tournaments you would be able/willing to participate in.  Now do the same with no off limits rules in place.  

Touch'e Mr. Hogue,

You have driven home a great point. No sarcasm taken in my camp, you slid that one by me. I have nothing but respect for you, thanks for your contributions. 

Don Hogue said:

My earlier sarcasm may have been lost in the shuffle.  Dana's earlier post DOES have a common thread. I've taken the liberty to emphasize it below:

• April 30/May 1 - If you want to fish the Nixon's Open on Moses, you will not be able to fish the April 23/24 BBT on Moses do to the two week off limits for the Nixon's Open.
  • May 14/15 - BBT at Potholes. You can utilize this weekend to fish the BBT and also utilize it as your pre-fish for the May 21/22 NWB at Potholes. For me personally, this creates a complication. My approach to pre-fishing is totally different than how I fish a tournament. I also try to utilize the week leading up to the NWB pre-fish weekend, to take some time off from work and relax. This gives me the chance to spend some time at our place at Potholes and get in a little extra pre-fish time. If you wanted to fish the BBT event, you are limited to Saturday and Sunday only do to the off limits rule. Again, I'm not blaming the organizations it's just the personal decision that I will make.
  • June 4/5 - ABA at Riffe or BBT at Banks. Or for many of us we will be at the Tri Cities pre-fishing for the June 11 NWB tournament at the Tri Cities. I'm just not that good on the river. I need the pre-fish weekend to give my self a chance to compete come tournament weekend

This isn't complicated.  Pull out a calendar, write in all the events and your prefish days, with off-limits rules in place.  Next add up your time away from home, especially weekends, and your miles and finally how many tournaments you would be able/willing to participate in.  Now do the same with no off limits rules in place.  

Yes, I very angry about that, wide eye so picky about fish they eat on their B-B-Q. But I prefer eat ones like you pretend you don't catch all time like these:

Jeff McBroom said:

I see your still holding a grudge for me not selling you that fish for dinner.

Hon Robbs said:

I very sorry i wrong. I found picture with you catch a rearry big one!

Hon Robbs said:

Oh prease McBroom - you so good at catch big bass you no want to get into share strategy. HAHA. Don't want to give away secret to winning so much money huh since you win so much before. It rooks to me rike you never won big bass money have you? http://bigbasstrail.com/results/

Jeff McBroom said:

Jordan, 

Now I'll play devil's advocate :

Is this ( It's not my intention to go out and stick a bunch of fish a week before a tournament in all the same spots I'm going to fish the following weekend, then haul out the biggest ones 10 miles from where I caught them and hope I'm going to repeat it.) not exactly what happens when you fish an ABA weekend? ? Only worse in that the fish you are trying to catch Sunday  (which is its own tourney) probably came from the same area you pounded the day before?? 

Trust me, we dont "pound" our fish the weekend before a NWBass event either. The way you fish a BBT tournament "should-strategy wise" be different than how you treat a 5 fish bag tournament. For 1 thing you can only have 3 fish total in yr boat during the tournament. I wont go into strategy any more than that. I will also say alot can happen to the fish at Potholes, in a week, in May.

As far as BBT off limits-- I'll talk to Russ to find out "why the change". There was no off limits in the past. I've already stated earlier in this post that i agree the big tournaments should think about easing the off limits restrictions. 
Jordan Doucet said:

Dana,

I'm with you on the whole idea of using the tournament the weekend before to prefish. It's not my intention to go out and stick a bunch of fish a week before a tournament in all the same spots I'm going to fish the following weekend, then haul out the biggest ones 10 miles from where I caught them and hope I'm going to repeat it. That's not how I prefish, but to each their own right? 

Although, you may feel pretty silly when you shake off that 7lber that would have cashed you around 10K if you would have been in the BBT during your prefish...

Chris and I have been watching this thread for quite some time and have been taking notes on what has been stated regarding tournaments and the comments regarding prefish. We have also spoken to over 100 guys on this subject the last 3 years from 3 different states on what they like and dislike about tournaments in general. Of coarse as you all know multiple opinions were given to us and we took what the majority wanted in a tournament format and created the Big Bass Classic. After holding the Big Bass Classic we found folks loved the format. The Big Bass Classic has averaged 73 teams per event and has handed out over $35000 in prize money in the last 3 years. Not bad for a new format in a crowded arena. The Big Bass Tournament Trail(BBTT) was created from the BBC to simply offer more opportunities for the club guy, the open guys, and the tournament regular a different tournament format to fish as well as have a better opportunity to cash some money over 4 events and a championship. 

The BBTT has multiple sponsors including Lowrance/Go Free, Mercury/Motorguide, Power Pole, Phoenix Bass Boats, and Anglers Inn/Mike Whitlow not only donating prizes to the Championship but incentive payouts as well. 

We have decided based on many conversations that it would be best to open prefish up to the Friday before the event.  The only times this will change is for Memorial Day weekend when the WA Bass Federation has the Jamboree on Banks where Memorial Day falls on the Monday prior to the Banks event as we are allowing guys to fish that holiday and the Friday before the event on June 4th as well as the July 4th date as it falls on that  Monday prior to the Championship on the 9th. 

We look forward to seeing you on the water,

Russ Baker

Hey Russ,

Hats off to you and Chris for listening to the angler feedback and being willing to make the adjustments accordingly. 

Russ Baker said:

Chris and I have been watching this thread for quite some time and have been taking notes on what has been stated regarding tournaments and the comments regarding prefish. We have also spoken to over 100 guys on this subject the last 3 years from 3 different states on what they like and dislike about tournaments in general. Of coarse as you all know multiple opinions were given to us and we took what the majority wanted in a tournament format and created the Big Bass Classic. After holding the Big Bass Classic we found folks loved the format. The Big Bass Classic has averaged 73 teams per event and has handed out over $35000 in prize money in the last 3 years. Not bad for a new format in a crowded arena. The Big Bass Tournament Trail(BBTT) was created from the BBC to simply offer more opportunities for the club guy, the open guys, and the tournament regular a different tournament format to fish as well as have a better opportunity to cash some money over 4 events and a championship. 

The BBTT has multiple sponsors including Lowrance/Go Free, Mercury/Motorguide, Power Pole, Phoenix Bass Boats, and Anglers Inn/Mike Whitlow not only donating prizes to the Championship but incentive payouts as well. 

We have decided based on many conversations that it would be best to open prefish up to the Friday before the event.  The only times this will change is for Memorial Day weekend when the WA Bass Federation has the Jamboree on Banks where Memorial Day falls on the Monday prior to the Banks event as we are allowing guys to fish that holiday and the Friday before the event on June 4th as well as the July 4th date as it falls on that  Monday prior to the Championship on the 9th. 

We look forward to seeing you on the water,

Russ Baker

I agree, good move Russ & Chris. 

WARNING unedited unorganized off the cuff rant
Not meaning to offend or put anyone in a bad light, if I do I apologize.

OUT of selfish reasons I would like all tournaments to be two week off limits besides the weekend preceding the event. This evens the playing field for those that have limited time off of work. I know some teams fish 3 to 4 days prior to events!
Unfortunately for me I only have 10 PTO days a year, unfortunately I need to save these for family vacations, sick kids, and special events for my family not to mention if I get sick. People think that Mike and I prefish like crazy, which we do not and our prefish ing is usually relegated to a Saturday and half a Sunday. Having no off limits I think will be an unfair advantage for people who are self employed, employee of a School District, or any job that gets liberal amounts of paid time off. ( I am not knocking these jobs just jealous)
I think my situation is just like alot of other normal Joe's out there. Limited vacation time which needs to be spent with loved ones etc. To create a healthy home life. If I was single with no kids it may be different but I am not, and many guys out there that love to fish have wives kids and families.
This all being said even the playing field have a 2 week off limit period open up Thursday and Friday before the event to prefish, so everyone has equal amount of time. Whichever you decide I think the amount of days need to be regulated PERIOD! I sure don't want to fish against Don Hogue between the last weekend in June and the middle part of August on the Columbia!
One last thing, Mr. Steiner and Mr. Maderos brought up a point I think most just glassed over, the guys over on the Westside are dedicating ourselves probably more than anyone on the east side. Let's face it, we have longer drive times, spend more in fuel etc. The closest events for me in NW Bass excluding a rare Lake Washington. Tournament (still 1 hour drive) is Potholes at 3.5 hours. To me I feel all the eastside have a distinct advantage over any west side guy in that alone. To me it's a challenge and I like it feels great going into someone else's backyard and taking care of business, but to others they see it for what it is a huge disadvantage that will not and cannot change, but yet it's still there.

Some Guys bashed Ben a bit I think it was unfair and unjust, I think he summed it up pretty well as how most average anglers feel when trying to enter the arena. He should be listened to, yes some of what he "feels" or says can be disputed through some factual evidence, but seriously the only fact that counts is the fact that people feel that way and how do the tournament organizations help them overcome this and participate.

I feel like alot of this thread has been pointed at people not participating, pointing fingers at them of "why" participation is down. I think this is wrong, everyone is different, lifestyles, families, work all of it. I think it's the tournament organizations responsibility for this alone, not people not having a good time or fulfilling family commitments. Offer a product that someone can't turn down, if you are an "elite event" then it should be ran and sponsored like one and customers should always come first. A tournament should be more then pay an entry let the organization rearrange the money and keep some off the top and then redistribute what is left. We as anglers should be expecting more. (for examples of more reread other guys posts of why the started and kept on fishing).

The tournament organizations should be fostering friendships throughout the fishing community, by making the weigh in / awards an event. What goes on the other 6 months when their isn't a tournament? Should NW Bass, BBT, ABA, Federations be sponsoring or creating a NW Bass College (or Community College don't want to steal from BASS) to attract potential newcomers and use as a platform for new sponsorship and advertisement while teaching people more about the sport, (have tons of ideas about this)
Raffle sponsor product (my opinion should be more of this) during Awards, why dont some companies who have pro staff make them work the tournament answering questions about sponsor products after they weigh in. Sett up a booth or table and sponsor the event maybe some incentive money ($100) to set that booth up. Give the guys something to stick around for, in doing this it gives more guys time to talk to newer anglers bringing them into the loop. I think the tournament organizations are working on more and I am personally excited to see it.

What I just described is a full time gig. Jeff, Russ or Angie (who is even more limited due to ABA umbrella) to fulfill what I just described have their work cut out for them and I dont even know if its remotely possible....This is survival of the fittest, business at its best, I am waiting to see who has the best business plan for this over saturated market and who in turn attracts and garners the attention and give us the tournament angler a product that we can't miss.
I don't know the answers, I have lots of ideas on how things can get better, but it all takes alot of time and alot of effort, just like being a consistent tournament angler.....

Don Hogue said:

Too bad BBT conflicts with the Nixon's Marine Open. I sure hope this was an oversight and not done purposely as "a cry to bring your banners to war" If it was done as an oversight I apolgize, if not I don't agree with it, excluding tournament anglers from a tournament trail / organization because they support a different dealer other than LOM is not what anybody wants to see.
Jordan Doucet said:

I agree, good move Russ & Chris. 

I agree Ron, it is too bad.  Not sure how it could be an oversight, and there has been plenty of time to correct it on the part of BBT.  It's not good for the anglers, the sport or the fishery.  ML is not big enough to support that kind of pressure during that time of year.  When there is one established event on a body of water at the same time every year, leave it alone at of respect for all involved and out of respect for the fishery.  

Nixon's, NW Bass, Jeff, Kathy and all those involved have all done such a great job creating an event with some tradition and a creative format with a payout and organization that are first class!  In a region where those opportunities are few and far between those types of efforts should be recognized and respected not trampled on.  

Nobody's gonna win when tournament organizers jam an event on top of a long standing event especially the weekend before on the same small body of water.  

RSS

Blog Posts

Old Farts Tournament on Potholes

Posted by Tom Melowitz on September 7, 2019 at 2:45pm

New Group Added!

Posted by Eric Urstad on April 3, 2019 at 7:38pm

© 2024   Created by Jordan Doucet.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service