Washington Fishing

The Online Source for Washington Fishing Information

Hi Everyone,

As you may know the WAFISH tournament is coming up this Saturday on Lake Washington. Here's the full info: http://www.wafish.com/group/tournaments/forum/topics/wafish-open-la...

Not only will this tournament follow the same format as years passed, but there will also be a raffle afterwards going towards the site support cause. This year for the raffle instead of having a bunch of stuff/baits that seem to go from one raffle to the next there won't be nearly as much, but it will all be QUALITY stuff. I'm talking rods (G-Loomis, Shimano), Oil, WAFISH Schwag, Gift Cards, etc...

In the past we've pulled 25-30 boats, but I'm curious to know who plans on coming this year so I can plan accordingly. So let's here it, roll call time!

I'll start: Nick and I will be there and participating in the tournament this year for kicks after everyone else blasts off. I just can't stand not fishing this one with everyone else!

Views: 2892

Replies to This Discussion

Yup, big fish 3.9 smallmouth, big stringer 5 fish, and mystery fish with a 5# Rainbow. Nicely done guys. Now thats cleaning up

Thanks Larry as always it was nice chatting with ya.

I just want to give PJ a big thank you not for just letting me fish with him but being such a great young man, his ethics, love for the sport, and passion for life, is a breath of fresh air for me, all I can say is that PJ you're the MAN! People can call it what they want a 'man crush' or whatever, I call it a friend for life! Thanks again PJ

One more thank you is in order to WAFISH, I have made some great friends through this site, without it I wouldn't know half the fishermen I know now. The oppurtunity to share your passion for the sport with others is great and it helps me get through the days when it is all poopy diapers and snot rags!  Thanks Wafish you are more than just a site to share fishing ideas but a site to make lifelong friends and fishing buddies.

Aaron I know you are just joking, but to say that it doesn't bother me when someone says I cheat is an understatement. Regardless Dez and Larry saw us catch the big trout, and 2 of our bass and then Mark Maderos, and  Rob Maglio saw us catch a third bass,  so that leaves 2 fish that no one saw us catch, and I promise you that they were caught fair and square.

Actually I will tell you what we caught our fish on.  The trout and the 2 bass we caught next to Dez and Larry I caught vertically with a custom colored sniper snub, I call it smurf snot, with a 3/4 oz. Quick Drop sinker. I caught them on 8# powerpro to 6# berkley tournament grade flourocarbon on a SMR822 GLX with a Daiwa SOL 2000 spinning real, all three of those fish where in 41 to 46 feet of water on a sharp break.  I caught 2 more on PJ's hole one with a 3/4 oz. football head gamakatsu 111 4/0 hook and a 5" yamamoto 176 grub with a died dark pumpkin tail on my Loomis BCR893 daiwa steez reel loaded with 12# berkley tournament grade flouro and the other I caught on a 1/2 oz. football same hook and same bait but on a Loomis BCR852 GLX with a daiwa TDZ reel and 10# berkley flouro. PJ caught his fish on a Loomis BCR803 on a 3/4 oz football head 4/0 gamakatsu 111 hook with a yamamoto green pumpkin candy creature bait.  I also caught a 2.5# sqawfish on the same 1/2 oz. football head but with a berkley GULP! Goby in Erie Magic color.  The other catch I made was a small trout on 4# line a smurf snot snub, and a 3/4 oz. quick drop sinker. One other thing is that we were using black football heads, this might have been a deal breaker, you never know!

The other thing is that I don't get your comment about spiking the ball, I never talked trash about this tourney and never did it cross my mind that we would win, I far exceeded my expectations by just catching a single fish. One other noteworthy thing was that I was suppose to only fish until noon until my awesome wife called me and said it was OK to fish longer, what kind of wife does that?  I am very fortunate to have a wife like that!

Thanks again Aaron for donating to my diaper fund, better luck next time!

Aaron Christel said:

Ok, so maybe they didn't cheat, but Ron should get a 10 yard penalty for spiking. But who is to say, maybe they did cheat. No one will ever know but them.

Saturday was fun times for sure! Many thanks to Jordan for organizing this fun event and to him and Nick for helping to run it! Also, thanks to anyone else that helped make this happen and to everyone that donated prizes for the raffle! There were some very nice prizes! 

Big congrats to PJ and Ron!!  You guys killed it out there!!  

Brian and I had a great time fishing together! We talk fishing a lot but don't get many chances to fish tournaments together and this tournament is always a great opportunity to make that happen!  The weather was decent, the fog stayed away, we each were lucky enough to catch a fish and they ended up being good ones too!  Couldn't ask for more this time of the year!

Also, it was great getting to see everyone again!  I was pretty tired and apologize for being in zombie mode and not super talkative yesterday but it was definitely a fun time out there!  

Aarons got a poopy diaper!

Lol, don't take offense man, I'm just playing. Really, what I should have said other than my deliriously tired joking accusation is that it is awesome to have a guy like you out there to fish against. You so often set the bar for everyone else. I could woop my mom at raquetball, but what's the fun in that? Having an angler of your skill to compete against pushes eevryone to be better. Thanks for giving everyone someone to chase!

The spiking coment was refearing to the squaw fish that had an unfortnate day. That was some funny stuff!

Great job to Pj and Ron.  Frankly everyone that made it to weigh in should be congratulated, it was cold out there!  This was the deepest i'd ever caught fish out there with two of our fish coming out of 60+ ft of water.  Thanks Jordan and Nick for setting it up.   

It was really nice to chat with everyone and spend a fun day on the water with the person I consider my biggest mentor in the sport of fishing and someone I look up to as a man.  It was really something to sit there and watch Ron pull up a 5lb Cutthroat and then back to back bass.  I won't forget it!  I think the beauty of this tournament is the casual and fun nature of it.  It's a perfect venue for good friends to fish together that might not get to very often.  Ron already gave you the story, but I will add that our fish were not caught on large areas like flats or ridges.  All of them came off small areas of structure that had some serious breaks and composition changes nearby.  Like Ron said I too had some pretty low expecations, but I caught a fish which made the day a total success!  It just so happened that Ron was able to put 2 more nice ones in the boat to give us a limit.  Thanks for fishing with me Ron!  You're welcome in the little G3 any time.  Tell Angie thank you for me and she is one awesome wife and mom! Wafish is always going to be a site I enjoy, yeah it's been thru it's evolutions and transformations, but Jordan is giving us something really great here!  Thanks Jordan and Nick for doing the leg work putting on the tournament it went smooth and the raffle was refreshing with the few but mighty prizes.

Nice job P.J and Ron!

Sounds like a lot of fun, and I wish I could have fished it.  It is really nice that Ron shared exactly how he and PJ caught there fish.  Most other anglers would never tell you, or they wouldn't tell you the truth.  Those who fished should compare what they did to what Ron stated, and learn from it.

I will guarantee you that many of you were getting bites, but simply never felt them.  With time and experience you learn that in the winter, when bass are deep and somewhat lethargic, that the biggest key to success is line management.  When you learn to manage your line, you will feel those ultra soft winter bites. 

Read again what Ron used, and realize that it all makes a difference.  The point is to keep your fishing line as straight as possible between your rod tip and the bottom.  Not as easy as you would think when you are fishing 40-60 feet deep.  I have written several articles about this topic, explaining how to achieve a straight line and keep it straight, and how your tackle choice and boat handling will make or break your ability to keep your line straight.

Can't wait to get back out on Lake Washington and fish for deep smallies on structure.  I have been studying my maps and have marked a bunch of spots I'm dying to try out.  If you see me out there stop by and say hey.

ciao,
Marc Marcantonio

Another great WAfish event.  We had a great time and it was good to see many of you again.  Rob and I had a tough day.  We got 3 smallies in the boat for a 3rd pl.  Had a 4th fish come off half way up, and caught 3 really nice trout.  ( Although not a 5lb'er like Ron the trout slayer ).  I had gone out on Monday to do a little prefish and the bite was really good that day and was looking forward to this event and a little better bite.  I was surprised at how deep the fish were already this year.  I normally key in around 38 to 45 feet at this time of the year, but found most of the fish in 48 to 55 ft, which is much more the norm for Jan / Feb depths.

Marc's comments about line management, boat control is spot on.  Keeping the minimum amount of line out, with the proper line type is critical in feeling bites and getting a fish in the boat.  If your out there struggling, keep changing little thing's like jig head weight.  Go to a smaller diameter line, or  changing the bait size profile are all little things that can make the difference in a tough day or a successful day on the water.  I was surprised by the just how tough a day it turned out to be.  I figured 3 fish for 7.5 lbs wouldn't even get us close. 

Congrats to Ron and P.J., well done boyz..... Gabe and Tim, another good Lake Washington finish.\

Mark

Congrats too Ron & PJ for pulling off the win during a tuff bite ... I did witness Jr catch those 3 fish first thing in the morning , I was a little surprized to see Ron sitting on one of my  favorite winter holes .." Hey Dez , dont be jealous " :-) ..Atleast someone got bit over there  because we sure didnt ..lol 

Fun day overall , minus the cold temps but compared to years past the temps weren't that bad to deal with IMO. Jordan thanks for putting on yet another fun day for the WAFISH members , see ya next year :-)

RSS

Blog Posts

Old Farts Tournament on Potholes

Posted by Tom Melowitz on September 7, 2019 at 2:45pm

New Group Added!

Posted by Eric Urstad on April 3, 2019 at 7:38pm

© 2024   Created by Jordan Doucet.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service