Washington Fishing

The Online Source for Washington Fishing Information

I had a chance to fish a brand new lake last weekend for the first time in a while. Since this lake was new, I had a great time picking it apart and luckily finding a few fish. Here's my version of day on the lake:

8:05am - Wake up with a little hangover and call Tito to see of he's game on. Sure enough he is and we decide to meet at the lake.

9:15am- Arrive at the lake, launch the boat and show each other some of our newest baits (Wakebaits, Mop Jigs, Trailers, Thumper Spinnerbaits).

9:20am - Start pitching jigs and plastics at a fishy looking shoreline across from the boat launch in 3-6' of water.

9:50am- I see a reed quiver and move, a sign of fish in the area.

10:45am: I skip my mop jig under a dock and feel a bite, watch my line swim a foot or so and set the hook - no hook up, crappy!

12:30pm- I switch from the mop jig and big trailer to a Black and Blue 4" flipping tube and 1/8oz tungsten weight .

12:37pm- I pitch to a log surrounded by reeds in 4' of water, get bit and swing on it. This one hooks up solid and is in the boat in no time.

2:15pm- Get tired of flipping the wussy bait and go back to a regular sized jig with a yamamoto craw trailer

3:30pm -Pitch to this nice looking patch of wood in 3' of water and swing on what I thought was a fish. Turned out to be a log. Gave it all I had and proved to me how freaking strong those GLX flippin' sticks are.

5:30pm- We made our way all the way around the lake and callled it a day. It was awesome to be off the shnide for Mr. Green Jeans as a good friend calls them.

Total Results:

1 fish - 4lbs even

1 missed fish on a jig.

47-48 degree water temp.

A buttload of pitches.

Anyone else get on a new lake last weekend?

Views: 93

Replies to This Discussion

Nice job and nice fish.
I was out and about with the family and headed to the North Olympic Peninsula
and got the chance to fish Lake Leland. It was a quick stop and was only there about 45 minutes
but it was a new lake and I'll be trying it again sometime in the future.
Good stuff Jordan. When ya taking me out so I can get my '10 skunk off.
Jordan,

Thanks for the creativity, now this is more like it.
I fished a new lake and I caught my 5th largie of the year it was awesome. I think some of the best fishing experiences come with these little lakes and learning new water, it is a thrill and a great feeling when finally figure it out and get one in the boat.
This could be a great feature to have. Whenever someone fishes a new lake, put down what you did and how it worked out for you. There are plenty of lakes and sections of river I have yet to fish. Next time out on a new body of water, I will try and make notes and let everyone know the butt whopping I got or gave.

mark
I pitched a Mop Jig all day on Big Lake with no luck, waters still only 47. Think I might hit up Terrel next week.
I did the same on Sunday Jordan. I never fish this early in the year- still putting hunting stuff away. Fished a small lake that I grew up by but have never been on it. Caught my earliest LM ever about 2lbs.
Went to shadow lake on sunday with Ryan Got jiggy with it from 2pm-6pm , end result .... Practice is never a bad thing !! :-)
Nice job Jordan, that's a sweet green fish for February and even better in new water.
Thanks for the great post, very informative for us new guys. I was out Sunday on Sammamish and did very well, tried drop shotting and thowing baits towards the shoreline and near docks but had no hits. All fish were caught on a football head in 40-50 feet, water temp @ 46-48 degrees. Fish were all very good sized.
Attachments:
I tried a lake 2 minutes from my house on Monday. Fished for 2 hours, it was a day of product research and development
Nice Job Jordan! I hit up a small lake with Robert on Sunday! He got one largemouth on a thumping spinnerbait. I didn't catch a thing. I would give the name of the lake but its his favorite lake, very small, and he introduced the lake to me. As Joel said, we might try to see whats happening at Terrell over the weekend! Can't wait! I love that lake!!

RSS

Blog Posts

Old Farts Tournament on Potholes

Posted by Tom Melowitz on September 7, 2019 at 2:45pm

New Group Added!

Posted by Eric Urstad on April 3, 2019 at 7:38pm

© 2024   Created by Jordan Doucet.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service