Washington Fishing

The Online Source for Washington Fishing Information

With 2012 coming on fast what are your resolutions/goals for the new year?

I plan on fishing with as many new people as possible.

Making the state team through the TBF would be great.

The biggest goal for me is learning as much as possible and hopefully not make as many mistakes as I did this year! I left a lot on the lake this year and won't dwell on the negatives but I could have done better.
Look forward to 2012.
Happy new year to you all.

Views: 810

Replies to This Discussion

I have two resolutions.  I think they will help me keep a better attitude and have more energy out on the water as well as keeping me sharper and more creative.  Ultimately, I think this will lead to better success on those tough grind it out days when I am struggling.

1)  Start swimming laps again for an hour and a half a day 4 days a week.  I am already starting to feel old at the young age of 27 and that's not good!

2)  Try as often as possible to get 8 hours of sleep on weeknights.  I am quickly learning that when you fish all weekend, if you don't catch up on your sleep during the week you never will and you will start getting burned out quickly!

As far as goals go, I have two of them as well.

1)  Gain confidence in a couple techniques I don't have a lot of experience with. Two that come to mind are chatterbaits/swim jigs and punching.  Last year was the first year I felt like I didn't really learn anything new technique wise.  I felt like I got better at applying what I already knew but it is always fun to gain confidence in something you previously had little to no experience with.  

2)  Force myself to experiment every time out on the water this year.  One of my biggest weaknesses in fishing is I feel like I get stuck in a rut doing the same things over and over.  I am terrible at getting stuck in my comfort zone of fishing safe and what has worked in the past instead of trying to figure something new out and taking risks.  I hope to get better at this in 2012!

I am very excited for 2012 and look forward to spending time on the water with the good fishing friends I have made as well as making new friends.  Happy new year everyone!

Fishing wise- I need to work on 3 areas; Presentation accuracy, fish my confidence techniques, and fine tuning what's working.

Geez can a brother catch a darn smallie on the TW Swimbait by the end of next year , Im soo pissed at myself right now !!   

note too self : "Hey Dez , YOU SUCK at catching bass on Swimbaits , so do something about it sucka "

The biggest thing I need to work on is getting keyed in on my electronics.  In particular my front unit.  I have never seen a fish and dropped down on it and caught it.  This year I can think of at least 5 people I had in my boat that did this.  Another goal of mine is to just have fun.  I came to the realization that I don't like fishing a lot of tournaments so I am going to have a pretty small schedule and just spend a lot of time fun fishing for bass and salmon.

Some techniques I am going to try are swim jigging and swimbait fishing both of which I have never really tried at all.  Back in early December I already started thinking about my goal for 2012, and it was to win a tournament.  Then I fished the Wafish, so I guess my goal now is to win a second tournament.

Fall in Western Washington!
I have a bunch of pictures you can Photoshop your face on Dez!

BigBass Dez said:

Geez can a brother catch a darn smallie on the TW Swimbait by the end of next year , Im soo pissed at myself right now !!   

note too self : "Hey Dez , YOU SUCK at catching bass on Swimbaits , so do something about it sucka "

LOL , If only it as simple as photoshoping pics Mike ....

I think i just might print out this pic and stick it up on the Fridge .

It can serve as my daily reminder that "anything"  is possible Bro, Just look at the excitement on that dude face !! 

Pretty simple for me.  Get confidence with jerkbaits and swimbaits. 

Nice, Clif. My only resolution is to fish as much as possible and try to take each outing as a learning experience. Best wishes to all in 2012

I have set alot of ambitious goals for myself this year, and even if I'm only able to accomplish some of them, I'll be pretty stoked.

1) Help grow the "Take a Warrior Fishing" event. I would really like to see more soldiers, and more boaters involved in this event, and we have the partnerships in place to make it possible to do that. Possibly moving the venue to Coulon to accomodate a bigger group. This is an awesome event, and I'm proud to be able to help out with it.

2) I have been working on an idea for an annual fall charity event. I havn't come up with a name for it yet, but it would essetially be a "Bass University" of sorts. Seminars from local, and possibly national pros, along with booths where industry folks can promote their goods and services. Proceeds would go to local youth charities. It will take alot of planning and networking to make something like this happen, but I'm going to keep working on it until hit happens.

3) I hope to get to fish with more people this coming year. This past year was great for me, and I learned so much getting to fish with many different people. There are a ton of great anglers in this state, and I would love to have the opportunity to fish with as many as I can.

4) Learn when, where, and how to fish a flutter spoon properly. I know this can be deadly in the right circumstances, and I would love to be dialed in on that. I've been chatting with Mark Pack on another forum about the spoon, and he has been giving me alot of good info. Now I just need to put in the time with it.

5) Swimbaits! This was one from last year's list that I was not very successful with. For some reason I have a hard time commiting to using one enough to get any confidence in it. Just like anything else, I gotta put in time with it.

6) My quest to join the DD club continues... Last year I got a 9, and alot of other nice fish, but I still want to break 10. I have another Falcon Lake trip coming up in March. Will this be the year??

7) Make the club team again next year, and help win ANOTHER Club vs Club fish off.

8) Making the TBF state team would be really cool! (I know, dream on...)

But the reality of it all is, I just love fishin', and I feel quite blessed to be able to do it as often as I do. And I hope to continue to be blessed enough to do alot more fishin' for years to come.

1-Just spend more time on the water...I'd like to fish at least once a week and spend more time on my home lake, lake Stevens

2-Win a club tourney. This will be my third year of tourney fishing and I have come close but never won a club tourney. I hope to do a better job prefishing and game planning and finally win one. This will not be easy we have some good sticks in our club.

3-Meet and fish with experienced fishermen and learn from them, and take someone fishing for the first time. It's all about passing on your knowledge and passion for this sport.

4-Catch a 6lb smallie and an 8lb largie...last spring I caught a 5lb12oz smallie out of Washington but I still haven't broke that 6lb mark for smallies. Two years ago I caught a toad largie out of Moses that was close to 8lbs but I didn't have my scale...it would be nice to get one I know it an 8.

I have been doing this same excercise for years. Looking ahead and making an effort to attain goals and creating some intentionality for the upcoming new year. I think we should all check back in at the end of the year and give a progress report. All of the goals you guys have stated are amirable but they all have positive potential outcomes. Positive outcomes are easy to deal with and this year I really want to challenge myself in some tough situations so I am changing my philosophy from that of the past and these are the main things I am going to work on.

1- Drink more beer and excercise less

2- Spend more time waxing and cleaning my boat and less time fishing

3- Become a great source of discouragement to my fellow anglers and people in general

4- Look for more opportunities to kick small dogs- I have always done this but I could get better at it

5- Litter more often

6- Plane through as many no wake zones as possible

7- Spend more time with guys like Mike Bess

If I can accomplish half of this list and survive I will have grown as a person.

Great goals, Joel.  One minor suggestion on goal #2:  Try to focus on doing the best job you can at adapting to the current conditions during the club tournaments.  Nothing wrong with prefishing and game-planning, but making the proper adjustments on the day of the tournament is what will lead to your ultimate success.  I hope you win multiple events.

Happy New Year! 

Joel Alinen said:

1-Just spend more time on the water...I'd like to fish at least once a week and spend more time on my home lake, lake Stevens

2-Win a club tourney. This will be my third year of tourney fishing and I have come close but never won a club tourney. I hope to do a better job prefishing and game planning and finally win one. This will not be easy we have some good sticks in our club.

3-Meet and fish with experienced fishermen and learn from them, and take someone fishing for the first time. It's all about passing on your knowledge and passion for this sport.

4-Catch a 6lb smallie and an 8lb largie...last spring I caught a 5lb12oz smallie out of Washington but I still haven't broke that 6lb mark for smallies. Two years ago I caught a toad largie out of Moses that was close to 8lbs but I didn't have my scale...it would be nice to get one I know it an 8.

RSS

Blog Posts

Old Farts Tournament on Potholes

Posted by Tom Melowitz on September 7, 2019 at 2:45pm

New Group Added!

Posted by Eric Urstad on April 3, 2019 at 7:38pm

© 2024   Created by Jordan Doucet.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service